Super Bowl GAMEDAY thread chiefs vs niners

2 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

Some of the 49ers Players said they were unaware of what the rules were regarding OT. they actually thought they win if they scored first.   Not sure i would have ever admitted that

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39511676/49ers-players-say-know-super-bowl-rules

How do you not know the rules when this is your literal job? It has been a FG doesn’t win the game in the regular season for several years. The both teams get ball, even after a TD, in playoffs was literally born out of KC beating Buffalo 3 years ago. I think this speaks to Shanahan failing at the fundamentals if he doesn’t talk about it with the team but Andy does.

3 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

Some of the 49ers Players said they were unaware of what the rules were regarding OT. they actually thought they win if they scored first.   Not sure i would have ever admitted that

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39511676/49ers-players-say-know-super-bowl-rules

I'm having issues with this whole STUPID conversation about OT rules.  It's the same as overtime through out the regular season.  Each team gets to possess the ball UNLESS the team that gets the ball first scores a TD.  

Why would anyone think it was sudden death OT?  It hasn't been in years!!!!!!  The only difference in the playoffs rule is BOTH teams get to posses the ball unless there is a safety.  So either way, when SF kicked that field goal, the Chiefs were going to get a possession even if it was in the regular season.  If these players didn't know THAT, then they and their coach are idiots!

52 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

I'm having issues with this whole STUPID conversation about OT rules.  It's the same as overtime through out the regular season.  Each team gets to possess the ball UNLESS the team that gets the ball first scores a TD.  

Why would anyone think it was sudden death OT?  It hasn't been in years!!!!!!  The only difference in the playoffs rule is BOTH teams get to posses the ball unless there is a safety.  So either way, when SF kicked that field goal, the Chiefs were going to get a possession even if it was in the regular season.  If these players didn't know THAT, then they and their coach are idiots!

Well not really. In regular season if the team that goes first scores a td......then they win.  If they score a fg, the other team has a chance to tie or win. Now in playoffs, each team gets a possession no matter if the first team scores a td or not. This is unless at any ot that the defense scores and then it is over as the other offense had a chance and blew it.

It is a sudden death in the sense that you can't allow the team with possession first scores a td in regular season. The post season though does not matter.  I would have deferred to see if our defense could stop them and then if they did score a td, know we had to go for it no matter what. 

25 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well not really. In regular season if the team that goes first scores a td......then they win.  If they score a fg, the other team has a chance to tie or win. Now in playoffs, each team gets a possession no matter if the first team scores a td or not. This is unless at any ot that the defense scores and then it is over as the other offense had a chance and blew it.

It is a sudden death in the sense that you can't allow the team with possession first scores a td in regular season. The post season though does not matter.  I would have deferred to see if our defense could stop them and then if they did score a td, know we had to go for it no matter what. 

You might want to re read what I said.....It's pretty much exactly what you said!  The defensive score does make more sense than JUST a safety though

30 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

You might want to re read what I said.....It's pretty much exactly what you said!  The defensive score does make more sense than JUST a safety though

Yeah, but it is sudden death in the regular season more so than post season. Score a td and you win, just not so in post season is all i was saying in a round about way.  If the defense scores an interception or fumble recovery for a td......then to me that would be more likely than a safety imo. I wonder how many OT ended in a defensive score and if any ended due to a safety.  Will have to look that up. 

Overtime walkoff safeties

There have been only three walkoff safety wins in overtime in NFL history: Minnesota Vikings 23, Los Angeles Rams 21 (November 5, 1989) Chicago Bears 19, Tennessee Titans 17 (November 14, 2004) Miami Dolphins 22, Cincinnati Bengals 20 (October 31, 2013)