Buy, Sell, or Hold

14 minutes ago, jetlord said:

You are absolutely correct.  Without Jones, the Chiefs don't win many of their playoff games and SB titles.  But the same could be said for Sneed this year.  One could even  make the case that the Chiefs don't win without Crennel in SB LVIII.  The issue isn't about the past, it's about what gives the Chiefs the best chance next season and the years beyond...Will Jones be effective three years down the road?  Can he be replaced with an above average DT and save $15 million to be spent on a top WR?  Can they draft the next top DT and have him up to speed in a year or so?  Bottom line is that signing Jones may be giving up too much in other areas.  That a problem that we can be glad it falls on Veach and we don't have to face it. 

Romeo was there?

jus tezn

On 2/14/2024 at 4:41 AM, xen said:

Chiefs are not a dynasty without CJ.  He single handedly has shut down so many drives in the playoffs and SB.  I have no idea why KC fans underrate him still at this point.  He is still at the top of his game and we've seen AD still be dominant at the age where CJ would likely end his next contract.  There is a deal to be done if we want to.  He is simply impossible to replace.

It’s not that I don’t want him. I think the money and age factor in. I understand that the interior pressure is like unicorn shit. But I’d also say that sneed does a shit ton too and may come cheaper. The dline has a lot of young pieces. 
I hope we can keep em all! Tranquil too. So many free agents…

11 hours ago, Calichief said:

All that and they need to add wr/

I do think maybe sky Moore comes back to strong. He does get open.

Justyn Ross maybe. 

Either way they need to sign a fa wr and draft one 

I agree with Ross and Moore. Skyy actually has decent hands and is pretty quick..IMO, his main problem is route running. 

59 minutes ago, West said:

Not sure what his major issue is but KC needs a #1 WR for 2024....Rice may be the guy as it turns out, but KC needs another legitimate threat.

Oh yea, I agree. KC should pick up a couple WRs.

Draft pick and maybe 2 FA WRs?

15 minutes ago, artsy said:

If the Chiefs don't hit a home run in FA at the WR position, maybe they can at least get a semi #1 like they did with JuJu.  That, along with a day two draft pick and Rice could get them through another good year or two.  There won't be a permanent solution to LT in FA.  Brown wasn't it.  Donovan wasn't it.  Moving Thuney out of his all pro position is risky.  I think the Chiefs are going to go OT in round one unless there's just no one left.  So the WR room next season could be FA, Rice, Moore, Watson, day two draftee, and maybe Ross or Hardman if he signs cheap.

4 hours ago, artsy said:

Sign Ridley or Evans. Pick up Marquise Brown for a cheaper rate because he just can't seem to stay healthy but is great if he does. If we can't get a 2 WR in some way in FA, draft one then. There is going to be some good ones out there but WR1 is a need to go with Rice in FA imo.

If mahomes restructures and we keep Jones i dont think we will be to much active in FA other than our own guys like Sneed or Tranquil/ Gay and Allegretti.  I can see us hanging on to Dana or some type like him in Herring, Nnadi, Wharton etc. We also have Edwards and Bush at S position.

I think if Jones doesn't resign and we trade him with a tag, it would allow us to keep not only the bigger FA of our own but also depth in some of the names above. Going to be interesting for sure.

20 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Sign Ridley or Evans. Pick up Marquise Brown for a cheaper rate because he just can't seem to stay healthy but is great if he does. If we can't get a 2 WR in some way in FA, draft one then. There is going to be some good ones out there but WR1 is a need to go with Rice in FA imo.

If mahomes restructures and we keep Jones i dont think we will be to much active in FA other than our own guys like Sneed or Tranquil/ Gay and Allegretti.  I can see us hanging on to Dana or some type like him in Herring, Nnadi, Wharton etc. We also have Edwards and Bush at S position.

I think if Jones doesn't resign and we trade him with a tag, it would allow us to keep not only the bigger FA of our own but also depth in some of the names above. Going to be interesting for sure.

Evens is out of reach.  He'll command around $24 million so even without Sneed he'd be a cap crusher.  Sneed might get signed for $16-18 million and I think four years of Sneed is more important than two years of Jones.  Give Sneed four years at $70 million with a cap friendly first year and a major guarantee.  He made about a million this year so that's a big chunk up plus the playoff and SB bonus is part of the picture.  What would it take to sign a 26 y.o. Madabuike from BAL to replace Jones? 

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Evens is out of reach.  He'll command around $24 million so even without Sneed he'd be a cap crusher.  Sneed might get signed for $16-18 million and I think four years of Sneed is more important than two years of Jones.  Give Sneed four years at $70 million with a cap friendly first year and a major guarantee.  He made about a million this year so that's a big chunk up plus the playoff and SB bonus is part of the picture.  What would it take to sign a 26 y.o. Odabuika from BAL to replace Jones? 

Or do a trade for the DT from the commanders who is not happy and want out. Allen is 29, but a good DT with 2 easily paid years left on a contract.

It’s about what you want to do on Offense. If you keep Snead and Jones you will not be able to significantly upgrade OT and WR. Jones will want 30+. If we could sign him, we would have. Zero chance he is on this team next year IMO. Snead is young enough too break the bank, but I don’t think it is a wise move. 

I think we are the first team to ever win a SB with a QB that had the highest cap it in the league. (I heard that but can’t verify) The way we won this year was by drafting great players. That is how we will have to continue. FA signings like Tranquil and Omenihu, not Jones and Snead. 

Letting Hill walk, although gut wrenching, was the right move. Same with Jones IMHO.

I think I would try a tag and trade on Sneed if you can't get an extension done for a reasonable amount.  Tag is a relatively palatable 18.4m vs 32m for CJ.  Sneed may have more value as well considering age.  And Veach is a wizard at finding corners all over the draft.  Could find a good slot corner and let McDuffie fill that number one traveling corner role.  Our secondary is still pretty stacked.

14 hours ago, jetlord said:

Evens is out of reach.  He'll command around $24 million so even without Sneed he'd be a cap crusher.  Sneed might get signed for $16-18 million and I think four years of Sneed is more important than two years of Jones.  Give Sneed four years at $70 million with a cap friendly first year and a major guarantee.  He made about a million this year so that's a big chunk up plus the playoff and SB bonus is part of the picture.  What would it take to sign a 26 y.o. Odabuika from BAL to replace Jones? 

i am assuming you meant this guy

DT Justin Madubuike

Does having a coach like Spags help us to attract higher value FA's to keep our Defense good or is it just Andy & Patrick?

We could go after the DT in Baltimore as he would only cost about 20 Million per season which is a lot less than CJ wants, and the Ravens have a negative cap number right now so they have work to do, we only have about 23-24 mil so we have work to do as well but not as drastic.

I would try to pay sneed and make a hard press on Madubuike to replace CJ. We survived without Hill and i think we will be fine without CJ.

A Chance for a Ring is #1 Attraction

Playing with Mahomes is going to be legendary

Andy, Spags and Joe Cullen are strong influences.

Agree with Xen....Tag Sneed and go for Jones on a extension.

We have a ton of solid secondary players headed up by McDuffie....

DLine NEEDS Chris Jones

31 minutes ago, West said:

A Chance for a Ring is #1 Attraction

Playing with Mahomes is going to be legendary

Andy, Spags and Joe Cullen are strong influences.

Agree with Xen....Tag Sneed and go for Jones on a extension.

We have a ton of solid secondary players headed up by McDuffie....

DLine NEEDS Chris Jones

Fair. Watson and Williams both started at one point 

It is going to be very interesting....KC tries to work the full equation equally to have the talent to win a SB.

(Offense + Defense +Special teams) X Coaching= SB

Compromises have to be made.....but drafting / acquiring young talent is a crucial part of the overall equation.

And there is no question that the Coaching Multiple in KC > any other Team in the NFL

4 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

i am assuming you meant this guy

DT Justin Madubuike

Yeah, that's the guy.  Don't think BAL will let him get away since he's their best D lineman and he would be a downgrade from Jones, but not that much.  If the Chiefs could get him for, say, $15 million less than Jones and keep him for 3-4 years it would solve some of the cap issues.  I really want Sneed back regardless of the Chiefs' ability to find other DBs.  We still remember the Bartee era and how frustrating it was for the defense to never get off the field.  Pass rush is huge, but wide open receivers are just as big.   So do you want a 30 y.o. pass rusher or a 27 y.o. shut down corner on a long term contract?