44 minutes ago, Boone said:

They got our DLine coach Cullen to re-up last week. Huge to keep both! 

Now, if we can just keep Sneed and maybe even CJ.  When I saw CJ on the bench crying, it may have been just his emotion at winning, but I have a sad feeling that it was because he was seeing his great career in KC coming to a close.  The defense would remain great, especially with so many young rising players, but it would be hard to duplicate CJ's heart and intensity.  Maybe he would take a little less money just to stay.  As the offseason goes on, his fatigue over the entire effort that it takes to play another season may wear off, and he will become ready to do it again and for a little less than the market would provide.

5 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Now, if we can just keep Sneed and maybe even CJ.  When I saw CJ on the bench crying, it may have been just his emotion at winning, but I have a sad feeling that it was because he was seeing his great career in KC coming to a close.  The defense would remain great, especially with so many young rising players, but it would be hard to duplicate CJ's heart and intensity.  Maybe he would take a little less money just to stay.  As the offseason goes on, his fatigue over the entire effort that it takes to play another season may wear off, and he will become ready to do it again and for a little less than the market would provide.

See the posts about his Union Station speech today.  Deep down he probably would love to stay, but money talks and especially to Jones and his agent.  

57 minutes ago, jetlord said:

See the posts about his Union Station speech today.  Deep down he probably would love to stay, but money talks and especially to Jones and his agent.  

Dunno...he may look at Tyreek as a cautionary tale. It's obvious Hill misses KC. Hopefully Jones doesn't want to end up like him. 

15 minutes ago, Boone said:

Dunno...he may look at Tyreek as a cautionary tale. It's obvious Hill misses KC. Hopefully Jones doesn't want to end up like him. 

Sure, Hill misses his old teammates, and two more rings would be awesome, but has Hill ever said the money wasn't worth it?  Jones seems to be the same way.  He'd love to stay and continue the quest for more rings and dynasty, but only if the Chiefs pay him top dollar.  Unless he signs a short term contract, it's a real risk that the Chiefs spend the 2026 and 2027 wishing they had some space for other key players.  For now, it's all speculation of what Jones would sign for, what some other teams would offer him, and even if a tag and trade would benefit the team.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Sure, Hill misses his old teammates, and two more rings would be awesome, but has Hill ever said the money wasn't worth it?  Jones seems to be the same way.  He'd love to stay and continue the quest for more rings and dynasty, but only if the Chiefs pay him top dollar.  Unless he signs a short term contract, it's a real risk that the Chiefs spend the 2026 and 2027 wishing they had some space for other key players.  For now, it's all speculation of what Jones would sign for, what some other teams would offer him, and even if a tag and trade would benefit the team.

It is hard for people to understand why scores of millions of dollars in someone's bank account would not be enough for that person to feel sufficiently secure to give up a few extra million in order to place some value in his own friendships and the feelings in his own heart about his own life.

The answer to that question for me is:  I don't understand, either.  I simply don't. The guy obviously has enormous heart and profound feelings for the people who have made his life what it is.  Is all that suddenly worthless if he can add a few more mllion?  Is his nest egg too insufficient right now to place some value in other important aspects of his life' journey? If that is the case, I feel sorry for him.  Truly sorry.  Greed for additional dollars would destroy his own happiness or at least leave him with lifelong regrets. He seems like a guy who would understand that.

Max Ehrmann wrote, "Let me not forget that poverty and riches are of the spirit. And though the world knows me not, may my thoughts and my actions be such as shall keep me friendly with myself."  Chris Jones is friends with others, and in a big way.  Why would he not wnat to remain friends with himself?

Those are my thoughts about it, Jet, and that's why I disagree with your premise. HIll is much earlier in his career than Jones is now and hasn't accumulated the amount of money Jones has. There is not reason to draw a parallel and to think that Jones wishes he could be making more with another team for a couple of years, while at the same time saying that Hill probably wishes he had stayed with the Chiefs.

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

It is hard for people to understand why scores of millions of dollars in someone's bank account would not be enough for that person to feel sufficiently secure to give up a few extra million in order to place some value in his own friendships and the feelings in his own heart about his own life.

The answer to that question for me is:  I don't understand, either.  I simply don't. The guy obviously has enormous heart and profound feelings for the people who have made his life what it is.  Is all that suddenly worthless if he can add a few more mllion?  Is his nest egg too insufficient right now to place some value in other important aspects of his life' journey? If that is the case, I feel sorry for him.  Truly sorry.  Greed for additional dollars would destroy his own happiness or at least leave him with lifelong regrets. He seems like a guy who would understand that.

Max Ehrmann wrote, "Let me not forget that poverty and riches are of the spirit. And though the world knows me not, may my thoughts and my actions be such as shall keep me friendly with myself."  Chris Jones is friends with others, and in a big way.  Why would he not wnat to remain friends with himself?

Those are my thoughts about it, Jet, and that's why I disagree with your premise. HIll is much earlier in his career than Jones is now and hasn't accumulated the amount of money Jones has. There is not reason to draw a parallel and to think that Jones wishes he could be making more with another team for a couple of years, while at the same time saying that Hill probably wishes he had stayed with the Chiefs.

Not really sure we're in disagreement.  Neither of us know Jones personally and people change as they mature.  My guess of Jones's priorities was based on his history, both after his rookie contract and more on his holdout last summer.  Doesn't make him a bad guy or unusually mercenary, but it stood out that he was willing to sit out a contract already signed for a few more millions.  Actually, it could be bad advice from his agent.  Maybe he's matured into a philosophy more in line with your post.  I've posted before that I understand a player making $5 million wanting $10 million, but I can't understand coming off an $80 million contract and giving up the life with teammates and an organization that gives brotherhood, winning, and fame for an extra several millions.  Actually, I have no idea of how Jones thinks or what other considerations influence him.  

7 hours ago, Boone said:

Well since we were like 3 mil a year apart or was it 5 mil? Hill would have given up a lot of money. Especially if you factor in tax free state of Florida. Then he was able to come home where he had friends, family etc and I believe a house there too. I can see why Hill did what he did. Now if he was truly after the guarantees of money, he might have went for the Jets offer. He wanted Miami for all the other reason above though.

6 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Well since we were like 3 mil a year apart or was it 5 mil? Hill would have given up a lot of money. Especially if you factor in tax free state of Florida. Then he was able to come home where he had friends, family etc and I believe a house there too. I can see why Hill did what he did. Now if he was truly after the guarantees of money, he might have went for the Jets offer. He wanted Miami for all the other reason above though.

I don't blame Tyreek for that, especially about the state tax part. 

Jones wants to stay as evidenced by his drunken rant...

Spags is back...This is a critical cornerstone IMO.

Mahomes will restructure to help.

Veach needs to find some common ground at get it done.

w

5 hours ago, qnet said:

I don't blame Tyreek for that, especially about the state tax part. 

That's something often overlooked in media reporting about contracts.  California could tax at 13%, $3.9 million on a $30 million pay year.  New York tops out at 10.9% with a supplemental for super high incomes.  Missouri in around 6%.  Apply those to an $80 million guarantee and it's a huge advantage for Florida or Texas.  Wonder how a baseball player feels when he's traded from Tampa to Toronto or SFO? 

4 hours ago, West said:

Jones wants to stay as evidenced by his drunken rant...

Spags is back...This is a critical cornerstone IMO.

Mahomes will restructure to help.

Veach needs to find some common ground at get it done.

w

Mahomes has a jones for Jones.

I wonder if Jones will feel the same when he is sober. I sure hope so. I have always felt that any guy whose junk falls out while doing the 40 yard dash should be a Chief for life. He'll always have one more sack than his stats show. I wonder if he could get a million dollars for that one...plus interest.