Chiefs sign Punt God

24 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

I', actually with him.  The guy always seemed to shank a punt at crucial moments.  He improved as a holder, but in my opinion, he is replaceable!

no  one is irreplaceable except Patrick but  how quickly we forget just last year he was "All Pro", hardly the weak link of the team. How quickly we forget about  many of his spectacular kicks pining teams behind the 10 yrd line..but oh well not worth dwelling on. I'd wager IF  they had not signed the Punt God you and Mcnumb nuts would be suffering through a few more seasons of TT

Tough Crowd

22 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

no  one is irreplaceable except Patrick but  how quickly we forget just last year he was "All Pro", hardly the weak link of the team. How quickly we forget about  many of his spectacular kicks pining teams behind the 10 yrd line..but oh well not worth dwelling on. I'd wager IF  they had not signed the Punt God you and Mcnumb nuts would be suffering through a few more seasons of TT

Tough Crowd

We thought the same things whem we replaced Colquit with him. Especially how he was a right footed punter after having a lefty for years. Now we go back to the left footed punter who can boom them.

Good for Tommy tho, he’s a good dude.  Punters don’t get that big bag that sets them up, so if he can go get 4 million on the open market then he absolutely should. I’ve got good memories of him interacting with kids and fans at the games on the sideline.  He did that more than any other player. 

11 hours ago, moons314 said:

Good for Tommy tho, he’s a good dude.  Punters don’t get that big bag that sets them up, so if he can go get 4 million on the open market then he absolutely should. I’ve got good memories of him interacting with kids and fans at the games on the sideline.  He did that more than any other player. 

IMO he's not going to get $4M that'd make him the #1 punter IIRC

It's reported that Townsend made about $2.6 million last season.  Five other punters are averaging over three million with the top at $3.625 million.  The Chiefs will pay the Punt God league minimum so there's a cap saving of over two million.  Let's just hope this isn't all hype and also that Butker isn't affected by a new holder. 

18 hours ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

I', actually with him.  The guy always seemed to shank a punt at crucial moments.  He improved as a holder, but in my opinion, he is replaceable!

This, the untimely shank was a big deal.

he is a fine punter, just not good enough to pay like he is the best

i think the all pro votes is simply because he was on the chiefs, the best team in the nfl.

you know who else agrees its not smart to pay townsend??? Obviously Brett Veach

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

This, the untimely shank was a big deal.

he is a fine punter, just not good enough to pay like he is the best

i think the all pro votes is simply because he was on the chiefs, the best team in the nfl.

you know who else agrees its not smart to pay townsend??? Obviously Brett Veach

I mean literally no one here is saying we should pay him.  He's a very good punter.  Deal with it.  

I love the PG signing! I too was hoping for a change from Townsend. His inconsistency was getting on my nerves. Nonehtless, Veech is the MAN! This kid has a generational leg. If Toub can teach him the fine art of directional, placement kicking, IMO, we got a real GEM. 

Go Veech!! Keep doing it!

Yes, he can flip the field, but I don't know if he gets the back spin to bounce  back and pin teams on shorter punts.  I also don't know how good of a holder he is.  If he meets the short kick and holding needs, then he will be an upgrade...but only then.

24 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Yes, he can flip the field, but I don't know if he gets the back spin to bounce  back and pin teams on shorter punts.  I also don't know how good of a holder he is.  If he meets the short kick and holding needs, then he will be an upgrade...but only then.

Perhaps he's humbled enough to listen to Colquitt's tips?

19 hours ago, artsy said:

I love the PG signing! I too was hoping for a change from Townsend. His inconsistency was getting on my nerves. Nonehtless, Veech is the MAN! This kid has a generational leg. If Toub can teach him the fine art of directional, placement kicking, IMO, we got a real GEM. 

I really haven't read any account of his abiities in directional placement kicking or in control over bouncing.  What have you learned about it? One thing I am certain of, we would not have gotten him, if there were concerns in those areas.  Must be an upgrade. 

As for generational leg, does that mean he can regenerate  his leg if he loses it in an accident?  Wow! That would come in handy.  Could cost the Chiefs in contract negotiations, though.

31 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I really haven't read any account of his abiities in directional placement kicking or in control over bouncing.  What have you learned about it? One thing I am certain of, we would not have gotten him, if there were concerns in those areas.  Must be an upgrade. 

As for generational leg, does that mean he can regenerate  his leg if he loses it in an accident?  Wow! That would come in handy.  Could cost the Chiefs in contract negotiations, though.

It means he can kick ass in a one legged ass kicking contest.

14 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

If he can't hold for Butker, is there any reason that Gabbert couldn't do it?  Is there some reason that the punter has to be the holder on place kicks?

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If he can't hold for Butker, is there any reason that Gabbert couldn't do it?  Is there some reason that the punter has to be the holder on place kicks?

No. But, I think a kicker is generally most experienced at holding footballs that are about to be kicked.  A QB would be a close second, unless one of his fingers gets injured by a boot or a cleat. That would not be good.

2 minutes ago, West said:

Chiefs and Winchester need to reach a cheap and easy deal.

Winchester should be anxious for the 3 Peat.

w

Oohh, good ole Winchester. Does anyone on EARTH have it any better than him??

Makes what?? 400K per year just to long snap the ball? Has 3 SB rings and can play till knees give out from squatting down and snapping the ball...

Man...what a gig.

8 minutes ago, artsy said:

Oohh, good ole Winchester. Does anyone on EARTH have it any better than him??

Makes what?? 400K per year just to long snap the ball? Has 3 SB rings and can play till knees give out from squatting down and snapping the ball...

Man...what a gig.

He's a vested veteran.  League min for his years of experience is over a mil.

Woof, just checked and 8m+ in career earnings for 9 years in league.  Best job in the NFL except the guys on the active roster who don't make the gameday roster.