Salary cap for 2024

Seth Keyser reports that the NFL salary cap will be $255 million for 2024.  That's well above the $243 million speculated about earlier.  The question is:  Does that help the Chiefs sign some of their FAs like Tranquill, Danna, etc. or does it just move the market (and demands) up?  Guess it helps with money deferred and dead money.  

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Seth Keyser reports that the NFL salary cap will be $255 million for 2024.  That's well above the $243 million speculated about earlier.  The question is:  Does that help the Chiefs sign some of their FAs like Tranquill, Danna, etc. or does it just move the market (and demands) up?  Guess it helps with money deferred and dead money.  

I think it definitely gives us the $$ to keep Jones, and possibly Snead, too.  I'm really hoping Drue stays.  

It'll do both...the market demands will move up, but we have a lot more breathing room now.  Might not have to move around as much $$ in Pat's contract as we would have at $243 mill, which helps out future years, too.

1 hour ago, KC Warpaint said:

Won’t be able to play the “We don’t have the Money” card now with sneed & Jones. 

Well Mahomes will restructure and we will do cuts etc. But if you click the link above, we won't have a lot to get both. Anything is possible but we do need other things like WR, get Tranquill or Gay etc. I think the best we can hope for is one of them is tagged and traded.

47 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

Cap went up just means the players will ask for more.  

My thoughts as well, but there will be a little reaction time and also money pushed into the future will be less a factor.  One question is whether this is a trend.  The cap going up $30 million in one year rather than the normal $7 million or so can't happen every year, but it may cause teams to commit more salaries down the road if they think the cap moves that much.  For example, give Jones and/or Sneed a back end loaded contract on the assumption that the cap will rise enough to cover.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

My thoughts as well, but there will be a little reaction time and also money pushed into the future will be less a factor.  One question is whether this is a trend.  The cap going up $30 million in one year rather than the normal $7 million or so can't happen every year, but it may cause teams to commit more salaries down the road if they think the cap moves that much.  For example, give Jones and/or Sneed a back end loaded contract on the assumption that the cap will rise enough to cover.

Actually this may become more of the way things go, the NFL paid off money owed during the Covid years and they signed new television deals so this was expected but they thought it would be 2025 for the payoff

“The unprecedented $30M increase per club in this year’s salary cap is the result of the full repayment of all amounts advanced by the clubs and deferred by the players during the Covid pandemic as well as an extraordinary increase in media revenue for the 2024 season,” the league said in a statement.

16 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

Actually this may become more of the way things go, the NFL paid off money owed during the Covid years and they signed new television deals so this was expected but they thought it would be 2025 for the payoff

I'd say maybe the revenue from Wild Card Game streaming?

47 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'd say maybe the revenue from Wild Card Game streaming?

That was just one game and they paid 110 mil for this year. Unless something was signed to a huge deal, I can't see that justifying 30 mil more per team.

33 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

That was just one game and they paid 110 mil for this year. Unless something was signed to a huge deal, I can't see that justifying 30 mil more per team.

but Amazon is paying $150 million for the Wild Card game next year. I'm not sure if that just makes one game or 2 WC games now if Peacock does one as well + the $$ Amzn's TNF games for the next 9years

But wait theirs more

The move by Amazon comes after Tuesday’s announcement from Disney’s ESPN, Fox Corp. and Warner Bros Discovery that the media giants would jointly launch a sports streaming platform. Warner Bros Discovery is the parent company of CNN.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

but Amazon is paying $150 million for the Wild Card game next year. I'm not sure if that just makes one game or 2 WC games now if Peacock does one as well + the $$ Amzn's TNF games for the next 9years

But wait theirs more

The move by Amazon comes after Tuesday’s announcement from Disney’s ESPN, Fox Corp. and Warner Bros Discovery that the media giants would jointly launch a sports streaming platform. Warner Bros Discovery is the parent company of CNN.

Still does not explain 30 mil per team increase. I just think the streamed game helped but overall it was an increase of revenue of viewers

American Gambling Association estimates NFL bring in several billion with a B in additional revenue from legalized sports betting from sponsorships and increased interest.  The ratings back that up and the idea that swifties are helping as well.  While I'm sure Seems is probably joking, there are estimates out there that there were around 2 million extra eyeballs in 2023 watching the games from swifties alone.  One estimate had the NFL raking in over 300 million from this including sponsorships (there were quite a few more ads aimed at women this year for some reason) and extra sales of sponsored items.  

30 minutes ago, xen said:

American Gambling Association estimates NFL bring in several billion with a B in additional revenue from legalized sports betting from sponsorships and increased interest.  The ratings back that up and the idea that swifties are helping as well.  While I'm sure Seems is probably joking, there are estimates out there that there were around 2 million extra eyeballs in 2023 watching the games from swifties alone.  One estimate had the NFL raking in over 300 million from this including sponsorships (there were quite a few more ads aimed at women this year for some reason) and extra sales of sponsored items.  

the Swifties will only be around  as long as TK is part of her picture I'm thinking 1 more year max