KC Review

Lots of thoughts after 9 games-

Offense- Charles is a pure beast and the best RB in the NFL. He does it when everyone knows it's coming. He's special. Alex smith is quietly not turning over the ball after that first game. Andy Reid HAS to find ways to get some guys other than Charles going. If Brady and gronk can do their thing then smith and Kelce can as well. Reid needs to get DAT more involved some how some way. As we move along, teams will continue take away the few things we do well. We must grow.

Defense- I am gushing over this defense. Allen Baily had 3 tackles for loss today. Poe had a sack. Dline has been a wrecking crew. It's deep and always fresh. Houston aside from Watt, may be the best defensive player going right now. And you all know how I feel about Abdullah. It's the first time in 15 years we aren't getting beat deep 5 times a game. Parker flashed in the Indy game just like Abdullah and I thought then, we have something. Our secondary is playing elite. Best pass defense in football right now. Seattle healthy is the best obviously.

If we had a game changer at WR, I could honestly say we could contend for the title. Emanuel sanders would be nice right now.

Maybe Wilson or someone else steps up at WR. For now Reid has to get Kelce and DAT the ball.

We are 6-3 and could be 7-2 or 8-1

Great season so far.

I reminisce last year after our win in Buffalo. This one feels much different and way more satisfying. This one wasn't as much as a steal but rather a sure win. If you think coaching has no impact in the NFL anymore than you're just plain fooled. These athletes are too elite where a single play call or audible can determine an outcome of a game, hence Charles' TD.

Alen Bailey and/or Ron Parker win my vote for most improved player. I give tons of credit to Bob Sutton and the whole defensive staff for plugging in players to be successful. I know we were all calling for Father Time's head after last season. I'm glad Andy & John saw something else in Sutton he's done one hell of a job. 

Niners are struggling, Seahawks are hurting.

The showdowns at home with Denver and San Diego will tell me plenty.

As we sit here at 6-3 ( who would have thought this except Gil) I think the Chiefs can line up with anyone.

w

No team on the remaining schedule should scare anyone. Yes there's Arizona...but Palmer is out for the season. I do have that as a loss. No way the Chiefs run the table but I think they can win any game on the schedule. Gotta take 2 from Oakland. They can beat the Chargers at Arrowhead. The Steelers are too inconsistent. They got totally owned by the 1 win Jets yesterday. Seattle is not as dominant as last year. They can be beat when they are on the road. And then there is Denver....at some point I gotta believe they can win one time against the Manning led Broncos. Please let it be this year!

Agree with almost everything. Sanders would have changed the whole offense.

However, you can't think that Smith / Kelce can be expected to play like Brady / Gronk.

I was exaggerating slightly. But I think in time Kelce is as fast or faster than gronk. We should see more out if that combo.

The Smith-Kelce connection will get better when Kelce doesn't have to be used in protection as much. We faced a pretty good defensive front 7. I also think we might have been saving it for Seattle or Denver, as we did have to go to it when the game got tight but didn't before that. Plus, no one has been concerned with Smith and his TEs. The concern is Alex and the receivers.

Here is something I wanted to ask the group....Is Buffalo that good? I mean they trashed the Chiefs for 3 quarters. If not for a couple of turnovers and some poor coaching decisions from Marrone we probably lose that game without so much as a whimper. I feel like we stole one. I know Buffalo has a good defensive front but they were on Alex Smith most every passing play. The one running back for Buffalo...Dixon...had 9 carries for 62 yards. Why didn't he get more carries? Bad decision. I give Reid and the boys credit...they were grinding and hoping for a break to turn it around and they got it. That play by Parker forcing the fumble completely changed the game. But we should not be dominated like we were Sunday. A win is a win but it still felt like Buffalo was the better team.

. The one running back for Buffalo...Dixon...had 9 carries for 62 yards. Why didn't he get more carries? Bad decision.

I think that has been said for several games this year.  Do you guys see the pattern?

0 rushing TD's given up this season.  Teams going away from what appears to be working.    Maybe.  JUST MAYBE....  The D is forceing them to go away from the run especially when they get down in the red zone.

This weekend will be interesting, cause Seattle is the ground game type of team.  Just like SF was.

Here is something I wanted to ask the group....Is Buffalo that good? I mean they trashed the Chiefs for 3 quarters. If not for a couple of turnovers and some poor coaching decisions from Marrone we probably lose that game without so much as a whimper. I feel like we stole one. I know Buffalo has a good defensive front but they were on Alex Smith most every passing play. The one running back for Buffalo...Dixon...had 9 carries for 62 yards. Why didn't he get more carries? Bad decision. I give Reid and the boys credit...they were grinding and hoping for a break to turn it around and they got it. That play by Parker forcing the fumble completely changed the game. But we should not be dominated like we were Sunday. A win is a win but it still felt like Buffalo was the better team.

Except for the D-line, did Buffalo really outplay the Chiefs?  As often happens, it took too long for Charles to get going, but the Chiefs made good run plays when it counted.  Both teams hit short passes and didn't do much long.  The fumbles changed the game, but remember Davis handed the Bills a score with his.  Yes, I think Buffalo is a very good team with a below average QB and to top tier D-line.

Except for the D-line, did Buffalo really outplay the Chiefs?  As often happens, it took too long for Charles to get going, but the Chiefs made good run plays when it counted.  Both teams hit short passes and didn't do much long.  The fumbles changed the game, but remember Davis handed the Bills a score with his.  Yes, I think Buffalo is a very good team with a below average QB and to top tier D-line.

It sure felt like they dominated. You forgot to mention Dixon and his 6+ yards per carry. He gashed the defense but then Marrone forgot about him? Very odd. I agree with some of your assertions but Orton had been sacked 17 times in his previous 4 games. our 3rd ranked sack defense got to him once. I would say their offensive line did a much better job protecting him than ours did for us. They controlled the trenches for the most part. Just felt like the score should have been a lot more than it was. Credit Reid for using a lot more misdirection in the 2nd half because straight up blocking was not working at all.

Buffalo is a good team.  Outstanding defense (particularly the front seven), superb special teams and a veteran QB with play-makers at the skill positions.  Don't forget, the Bills had two weeks to prepare for the Chiefs, had an electric and packed house with a playoff atmosphere.  

Buffalo has historically been a house of horrors for the Chiefs and even with all that I've mentioned and that fact, they still came out with a win yesterday.  Yesterday was a very good win for this Chiefs team - make no bones about it.

The Smith-Kelce connection will get better when Kelce doesn't have to be used in protection as much. We faced a pretty good defensive front 7. I also think we might have been saving it for Seattle or Denver, as we did have to go to it when the game got tight but didn't before that. Plus, no one has been concerned with Smith and his TEs. The concern is Alex and the receivers.

For sure.

It'seems hard to call a 13 point offering "domination" - maybe people need to step back and take a look at the big picture to judge this performance appropriately. Our defense came up big, and when we needed a big play they *forced* turnovers through sheer dominant willpower.

Buffalo overachieved. Nobody stops Jamaal Charles - *nobody* - yet they kept him bottled up for half the game. But if that's your game plan - i.e., take Jamaal away and hold on by the fingernails hoping to win - then it's going to backfire, because sooner or later he'll make you pay.

Buff put up a good fight, but as I expected they lacked the firepower to punch it in on our D, whereas our future HoF RB would not be denied.

One game at a time. The Chiefs faced Buffalo, and that was a tough match up. The Seahawks are next. They faltered, but they are back on their game. I expect them to come out ready to play. They are the returning Super Bowl champs. Not much is different from the team that schooled Denver. They have a three game winning streak, and seem to be back from a two game skid when they were going through some internal troubles. 

If we think Seattle is going to be a cake walk, then we better prepare ourselves to face reality. Seattle is a very good team, and they share the identical 6-3 record with the Chiefs. The Seahawks face the Cardinals the week after coming to Arrowhead. They are two games behind, but the Cardinals are without Palmer for the remainder of the year. They have home and away games with SF and AZ remaining. They cannot afford to fall behind, and a win against the Chiefs is a must for this team. It will be a major accomplishment for the Chiefs to beat Seattle, even at Arrowhead. 

The Chiefs stepped it up, and won a game they should not have won. They gutted it out. They will need to do even better against the Seahawks. 

Archived