Free agent talk rumors

16 minutes ago, moons314 said:

But if he doesn't sign, he doesn't get paid and can't play.  He'd still be restricted and unable to sign with another team.  No way does Sneed leave 19 million on the table if the Chiefs don't get what they want in exchange for him. 

said the same thing about cj. I hope Veach  and Snead have learned a lesson  on how that all went down

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

AO yesterday morning he has yet to be tagged and immediate google search shows no up date. with all the forewarning I have to suspect there is still talking go on. They still have 5 days to make it official.

In Veach I trust

The Chiefs may be playing it smart.  Give Sneed a chance to work a deal or at least find out that the market for a 27 y.o. player with a few nagging injuries isn't over $20 million over a long term.  If Sneed does hit the jackpot this week, the Chiefs save using the tag and may have more leverage with Jones.  Or, hopefully, the Chiefs and Jones already have a basic agreement and are just working out details.  Interesting week ahead. 

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

But if he doesn't sign, he doesn't get paid and can't play.  He'd still be restricted and unable to sign with another team.  No way does Sneed leave 19 million on the table if the Chiefs don't get what they want in exchange for him. 

Sure just wait til the season starts.  Not saying he'd do that just saying he has some choice which was the question.  We can't trade him without him being under contract and there's no contract until he signs.

I seriously doubt players being what they are these days  take in to account that the chance of a three peat is next to the undefeated Dolphins team. this would be a monumental historical feat. The old me would think about it but I'm not so confident the young 30 under self would think that is a worth a million here or there they might get playing for a mid grade team.

Players like Patrick I think get it but he and TK are already first ballot HOFrs  where CJ and Snead not so much

24 minutes ago, xen said:

Sure just wait til the season starts.  Not saying he'd do that just saying he has some choice which was the question.  We can't trade him without him being under contract and there's no contract until he signs.

Assuming Sneed and his agents, another team, and the Chiefs work out a deal, is there anything preventing the Chiefs agreeing to sign Sneed and then trading him to the other team.  Would the league frown on that kind of an arrangement? 

47 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I seriously doubt players being what they are these days  take in to account that the chance of a three peat is next to the undefeated Dolphins team. this would be a monumental historical feat. The old me would think about it but I'm not so confident the young 30 under self would think that is a worth a million here or there they might get playing for a mid grade team.

Players like Patrick I think get it but he and TK are already first ballot HOFrs  where CJ and Snead not so much

3 peat to me is better than an undefeated season. How many teams have gone undefeated compared to how many have done a 3 peat?

26 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

3 peat to me is better than an undefeated season. How many teams have gone undefeated compared to how many have done a 3 peat?

1 has gone undefeated and 1 has yet to do a 3 peat. if so they'd be 1 each

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Assuming Sneed and his agents, another team, and the Chiefs work out a deal, is there anything preventing the Chiefs agreeing to sign Sneed and then trading him to the other team.  Would the league frown on that kind of an arrangement? 

You could do that but not sure why you would.  If the parameters of both the trade and the new contract are worked out KC has already cleared the room for the tag so just do that.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

If Snead and the new team work out a new deal, it'll be officially signed after the trade is completed. If KC signed him to a deal then traded him, that deal would get mixed up into our cap calculations... and it wouldn't be pretty. 

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I think CJ thinks about it a good bit more than Sneed.  One has already made close to 100 million while the other hasn't even made 10 million total.  I personally think Jones wants to stay and finish it out here in KC but wants to be properly compensated. We three-peat, he has a big year, and he gets to 100 total sacks he might sneak into that first ballot conversation.  

11 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I think CJ thinks about it a good bit more than Sneed.  One has already made close to 100 million while the other hasn't even made 10 million total.  I personally think Jones wants to stay and finish it out here in KC but wants to be properly compensated. We three-peat, he has a big year, and he gets to 100 total sacks he might sneak into that first ballot conversation.  

He is only 20 sacks behind Sapp and has played 5 fewer years. Has 2 more rings. 

Also has similar stats as some of the other first ballot guys for their career (Olsen, Greene, etc.) 

He is there now.

18 hours ago, Boone said:

If Snead and the new team work out a new deal, it'll be officially signed after the trade is completed. If KC signed him to a deal then traded him, that deal would get mixed up into our cap calculations... and it wouldn't be pretty. 

If Sneed signed with the Chiefs and was traded two days later, it wouldn't affect the cap as long as it happened before Jones signed.  At this moment, they have cap room for Sneed's first year. 

Thus the reason you give the player and his agents the freedom to go find a deal.  Wouldn't think that a deal they helped work out would be a deal that he would sign off on.  The Chiefs are generally pretty player friendly in these situations.   

On KCSN, "Only Weird Games" podcast (which is amazing) Nate Taylor said there were 6-7 teams interested in Sneed.  That is great for us.  I would say the minimum is a mid to late 2nd and an extra pick if that many teams are interested.  

Also saw the Falcons interested.   Maybe a Sneed for Pitts swap?  In essence 2/20 for Pitts.  Seems a little high for a talented yet very unproductive athlete.

59 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If Sneed signed with the Chiefs and was traded two days later, it wouldn't affect the cap as long as it happened before Jones signed.  At this moment, they have cap room for Sneed's first year. 

Actually, it could, even in your scenario - if there is a signing bonus in the new contact (which most/all contracts have). This is why in a trade scenario, the new player contract is always signed with the new team. Here's a good explanation: 

https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/nfl-salary-cap-faqs/

How does the trade of a player affect the team’s Salary Cap?

For the team trading the player, a trade is pretty much treated the same as the release of a player – the team is relieved of paying all future base salaries, but still must account for the bonus money that has already been paid to the player. Just like with the release of a player, the remaining unaccounted-for bonus pro-rations will accelerate and count against the team’s Salary Cap.

For the team acquiring the player, a trade means that the new team acquires the player’s remaining contract, but does not have any liability for any bonus money previously paid to the player.

41 minutes ago, Boone said:

Actually, it could, even in your scenario - if there is a signing bonus in the new contact (which most/all contracts have). This is why in a trade scenario, the new player contract is always signed with the new team. Here's a good explanation: 

https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/nfl-salary-cap-faqs/

How does the trade of a player affect the team’s Salary Cap?

For the team trading the player, a trade is pretty much treated the same as the release of a player – the team is relieved of paying all future base salaries, but still must account for the bonus money that has already been paid to the player. Just like with the release of a player, the remaining unaccounted-for bonus pro-rations will accelerate and count against the team’s Salary Cap.

For the team acquiring the player, a trade means that the new team acquires the player’s remaining contract, but does not have any liability for any bonus money previously paid to the player.

Easy ways around that such as option bonuses or even guaranteed salaries.  Then again I'm still not sure why you'd do it that way when you have enough cap space to accommodate the tag.

17 minutes ago, xen said:

Easy ways around that such as option bonuses or even guaranteed salaries.  Then again I'm still not sure why you'd do it that way when you have enough cap space to accommodate the tag.

You're probably correct in most cases.  I was thinking about trying to trade Sneed without using the tag because the Chief might have to use the tag on Jones.  Some talking heads are optimistic that Jones will sign early so that isn't an issue, but I don't trust the Katz Brothers and if Jones isn't signed by opening of FA, some team (Houston?) will dangle huge money in front of him.  Hope that's not the case, but .............

7 minutes ago, jetlord said:

You're probably correct in most cases.  I was thinking about trying to trade Sneed without using the tag because the Chief might have to use the tag on Jones.  Some talking heads are optimistic that Jones will sign early so that isn't an issue, but I don't trust the Katz Brothers and if Jones isn't signed by opening of FA, some team (Houston?) will dangle huge money in front of him.  Hope that's not the case, but .............

You can't trade Sneed at all without him signing a tag offer as otherwise he's not under contract.

Just now, xen said:

You can't trade Sneed at all without him signing a tag offer as otherwise he's not under contract.

Thus my earlier scenario where agreement is reached by all parties without the tag.  Maybe not practical, but just asking.

Just now, jetlord said:

Thus my earlier scenario where agreement is reached by all parties without the tag.  Maybe not practical, but just asking.

Ya.  Can't do it.  No matter what you can't trade a player not under contract so even if you all came to terms you'd still have to apply the tag to execute it.  And you only have til March 11 to apply thr tag.

2 minutes ago, xen said:

Ya.  Can't do it.  No matter what you can't trade a player not under contract so even if you all came to terms you'd still have to apply the tag to execute it.  And you only have til March 11 to apply thr tag.

So the Chiefs couldn't sign Hardman and immediately trade him to the Lions the next day?  It would take a lot of trust among all the parties, but is it illegal? 

42 minutes ago, jetlord said:

So the Chiefs couldn't sign Hardman and immediately trade him to the Lions the next day?  It would take a lot of trust among all the parties, but is it illegal? 

Yes you could but again, you'd have to do it without any bonuses that would accelerate into your cap.  Player may not like that.  Could be done though.

2 hours ago, xen said:

March 5th

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/2024-nfl-free-agency-dates-start-time-franchise-tag-deadline