Free agent talk rumors

7 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

Not sure where this guy is getting his numbers, if we had tagged CJ we would have been locked into around 32M.

35-40M is not gonna happen and if that is what they want then sayonara 

Might be his signing not AAV.

Agree....He might be assuming that the Chiefs front load the contract this year to provide space for next year as the interior O-Line comes up for contracts...
I think KC is working on this "smoothing" with Mahomes and ultimately Chris Jones....If they get it "right" they can do more this year for the 3 peat.....

3 minutes ago, West said:

Agree....He might be assuming that the Chiefs front load the contract this year to provide space for next year as the interior O-Line comes up for contracts...
I think KC is working on this "smoothing" with Mahomes and ultimately Chris Jones....If they get it "right" they can do more this year for the 3 peat.....

Yep. Get him paid, rework Mahomes and even Taylor can provide 12 mil etc. Sign Jones, go after a need whether WR etc and draft then for future. We need to get a WR1 type to go with Rice and draft another imo too.

Need to give Morris competition at LT, probably another prove it deal for vet LT or draft a really good one for this year along with future development too. Mahomes with weapons and protection will go a long way for us to 3 peat. Jones in the middle and us drawing a dt/de tweener type will help for the future too. All this and keeping the cap ready for our FA next year or in season extensions.

57 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

and even Taylor can provide 12 mil etc.

I think Taylor would have a dead cap of about 2 million and change.  But that still would add about 10 million to the cap.  Not sure we can find a vet who can do the job for less than that, though.  Taylor really did well later in the season when he got his penalties under control and when the officials backed away from throwing too many flags during the playoffs. Constant penalties causes loss of fan interest in a game, and the ratings and advertising revenue drops.  Maybe Taylor will always be a late season and playoffs asset but an early and mid season liability.  More likely he will have learned his timing with Mahomes' snaps and will make fewer mistakes as a result. Still, I think we can get just as good as him for cheaper and have some cap left over.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I think Taylor would have a dead cap of about 2 million and change.  But that still would add about 10 million to the cap.  Not sure we can find a vet who can do the job for less than that, though.  Taylor really did well later in the season when he got his penalties under control and when the officials backed away from throwing too many flags during the playoffs. Constant penalties causes loss of fan interest in a game, and the ratings and advertising revenue drops.  Maybe Taylor will always be a late season and playoffs asset but an early and mid season liability.  More likely he will have learned his timing with Mahomes' snaps and will make fewer mistakes as a result. Still, I think we can get just as good as him for cheaper and have some cap left over.

My understanding is that the Chiefs are stuck with Taylor for at least one more year.  Actually, he played well after the spotlight was off him and his playoff performance was very good.  Donovan Smith was a liability and the Chiefs got by in spite of him.  The question is whether Morris can up his game after an off season of training.  Still have to draft a future OT if not a starter this year.  They can shift cap space with Taylor and Thuney.  They can rework the Mahomes contract structure.  They can release Omenihu if he's out for the season.  Cap room is available.  It's just a matter of how much Clark is willing to front and how much they're willing to mortgage the future.  

51 minutes ago, jetlord said:

My understanding is that the Chiefs are stuck with Taylor for at least one more year.  Actually, he played well after the spotlight was off him and his playoff performance was very good.  Donovan Smith was a liability and the Chiefs got by in spite of him.  The question is whether Morris can up his game after an off season of training.  Still have to draft a future OT if not a starter this year.  They can shift cap space with Taylor and Thuney.  They can rework the Mahomes contract structure.  They can release Omenihu if he's out for the season.  Cap room is available.  It's just a matter of how much Clark is willing to front and how much they're willing to mortgage the future.  

Agree Taylor eventually got it together and played well towards the end.  

Here's the numbers on Omenihu.    7.220m savings, 3.750m dead cap

Screenshot_20240305_165718_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

With Mahomes probably 10 years away from retirement, there is an opportunity for championships for a long time, and the front office knows that.  That's why I believe they will not mortgage the future...and they shouldn't.

1 hour ago, Holmes4six! said:

Justin Simmons broncos released. 

Going to be many older FA cuts from them, chargers, bills etc. Their cap space and chasing us the last few years is coming home to roost.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Going to be many older FA cuts from them, chargers, bills etc. Their cap space and chasing us the last few years is coming home to roost.

And that's an opportunity for the Chiefs to fill their roster for the short term.  Tranquill, Donovan Smith, Edwards, McKinnon, etc., all on one year deals, all affordable, and all played lots of snaps.