Free agent talk rumors

So with Brown under contract it looks like our cap will be in the 8 million range.  Not much room to sign the draft class and add another quality player.   I know they can restructure Taylor and Thuney to make more money but unless Sneed gets traded we are what we are this point.   Honestly, I'm pretty stoked.  We, at this moment, have the core of our D back, and the O has added a true wr that stretches the field and can be relied on to help.  The draft is loaded with the positions we need OT and WR and we still can restructure Jawaan if another player comes available.   

Curious what everyone's opinions are at this point.   

1.  Keep Sneed and add a cheap LT then head to the draft to upgrade the rest.

2.  Trade Sneed add another player with the money saved and go into the draft.

3.  Restructure Taylor/Thuney and add another player and keep Sneed and go into the draft.

3 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

So with Brown under contract it looks like our cap will be in the 8 million range.  Not much room to sign the draft class and add another quality player.   I know they can restructure Taylor and Thuney to make more money but unless Sneed gets traded we are what we are this point.   Honestly, I'm pretty stoked.  We, at this moment, have the core of our D back, and the O has added a true wr that stretches the field and can be relied on to help.  The draft is loaded with the positions we need OT and WR and we still can restructure Jawaan if another player comes available.   

3.  Restructure Taylor/Thuney and add another player and keep Sneed and go into the draft.

Keeping the 3peat in mind ...my preference is #3.

16 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I'll take #2. 

I do believe KC has a plan to replace Sneed WITH a cheaper option. An extra pick and more money is always a good thing!

1 minute ago, Lamardirts said:

I guess I could have added a

4.  Resign Sneed, add a LT, WR and then draft to fill needs (knowing we prob lose Bolton next year).

I keep seeing "add LT". I guess a veteran would be ok to sign after the draft for insurance, but I'm sure they're gonna try and roll with Morris. He didn't do too bad at all with his time in the lineup. He struggled a little bit but that was to be expected from a rookie. 

His run blocking was twice as better than D. Smith. A full year in the system, I think (hope) Wanya will work out great! 

It's apparent that Veech really doesn't want to PAY sneed. Keep him? Yes. PAY him? no. However, it is strange that no Team has traded for him yet.

(Maybe Veech really is asking for a 1st rnd pick?) 

6 minutes ago, artsy said:

I'll take #2. 

I do believe KC has a plan to replace Sneed WITH a cheaper option. An extra pick and more money is always a good thing!

I was going to go with number two except I'm starting to hear rumors that teams are really low balling in their trade talks for Sneed with offers of a 3rd round pick. Screw that! He is worth at least a 2nd.

Just now, dhitter said:

I was going to go with number two except I'm starting to hear rumors that teams are really low balling in their trade talks for Sneed with offers of a 3rd round pick. Screw that! He is worth at least a 2nd.

Haha...Just said that about Veech. I think he wants at least a second and no one is offering yet. Sneed has indicated he'd prefer to stay in KC, so...

14 minutes ago, artsy said:

Haha...Just said that about Veech. I think he wants at least a second and no one is offering yet. Sneed has indicated he'd prefer to stay in KC, so...

Hell we csn let him go next year and still possibly get a 3rd comp pick. Let them low ball, one team will bite and thst is all it takes.

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

there maybe  talks with Snead  for multiple years and Veach does his Cap Magic, so until the Snead picture is clear we really don't know what our cap #s are..IMO.

curious  since we have so few pics and multiple 5th rndrs what we need to be able to afford the draft class?

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

there maybe  talks with Snead  for multiple years and Veach does his Cap Magic, so until the Snead picture is clear we really don't know what our cap #s are..IMO.

curious  since we have so few pics and multiple 5th rndrs what we need to be able to afford the draft class?

Can't extend him now on his franchise tag. Have to wait until off season.

Just now, oldtimer said:

has he signed it? I have not seen one way or another

Either way I don't believe you can sign a new contract once the season begins on the tag for the tagging team.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

Either way I don't believe you can sign a new contract once the season begins on the tag for the tagging team.

yea ok I was just trying to figure things out and admitted l am ignorant to this stuff but by putting the non exclusive tag on him that allows Snead to negotiate a trade AND his contract with the new team so it maybe not so much Veach's asking price but Snead's desires for a longer contract than teams are willing to give?

Just now, oldtimer said:

yea ok I was just trying to figure things out and admitted l am ignorant to this stuff but by putting the non exclusive tag on him that allows Snead to negotiate a trade AND his contract with the new team so it maybe not so much Veach's asking price but Snead's desires for a longer contract than teams are willing to give?

I put this in the Sneed thread but this may help here too.

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I stand corrected. 

Once a team uses a franchise tag, it has until mid-July to sign that player to a contract extension.  I was thinking the beginning of the season, but it is mud July.

so really the only rush for the Chiefs is to secure a Draft Pick(s) this year

Snead seems to hold the cards right now and is in a win win situation

11 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

so really the only rush for the Chiefs is to secure a Draft Pick(s) this year

Snead seems to hold the cards right now and is in a win win situation

The rush would be to trade Sneed and use the $19 million to get a LT.  A one year deal with the oft injured guy from Dallas along with Morris might keep the Chiefs from having to rely on a second tier draftee this fall. 

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

I'd pick #2 but only if the compensation is right.  Any thing less than a second would make keeping Sneed for the three peat a better choice.  Alternative would be to negotiate a three year extension with Sneed for around $16 million per and rework Thuney or Taylor.  The Chiefs don't want to go into the draft desperate for an OT.  

38 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The rush would be to trade Sneed and use the $19 million to get a LT.  A one year deal with the oft injured guy from Dallas along with Morris might keep the Chiefs from having to rely on a second tier draftee this fall. 

assuming  Veach wants a FA LT.  That is our infatuation it may not be Reid/Veach's and Morris just may be the guy until proven different.

I'm not seeing one available that makes me want to rush things.. they'll be around for awhile IMO

17 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

assuming  Veach wants a FA LT.  That is our infatuation it may not be Reid/Veach's and Morris just may be the guy until proven different.

I'm not seeing one available that makes me want to rush things.. they'll be around for awhile IMO

Maybe use the Sneed trade for a LT thrown in? Any LT about to be replaced this year or knowing they would not resign next year?

3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Nice analysis of Chiefs cap and draft situation !