Free agent talk rumors

24 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

So, is Veach pulling a Carl?  Sitting out the first few days of the craziness and focusing on our team first?

Veach is doing exactly what has to be done.  Those who suggest trading Sneed for some other high priced vet are missing the point on why Sneed is up for trade.  The Chiefs have a number of top paid vets and have to fill in with players on rookie deals.  Trading Sneed for draft picks is much easier on the cap than trading him for other players.  Getting a short term LT or WR is about as much as we can expect.  Signing a few of their own FAs makes some sense. (Dana, Wharton, Allegretti, Edwards)  It would surprise me if Veach signs any FA for more than one year unless it's a couple of years deal for less than $10 million/year.  Grabbing Omenihu, Tranquill, Edwards, and later, Pennell was masterful without breaking the bank.  Hope for a repeat.  

41 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

So, is Veach pulling a Carl?  Sitting out the first few days of the craziness and focusing on our team first?

Hope so.  There will be bargains to be found in the second tier of FA just like last year.  Don't expect to see Veach make any major moves until the Sneed deal is settled.  

45 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Hope so.  There will be bargains to be found in the second tier of FA just like last year.  Don't expect to see Veach make any major moves until the Sneed deal is settled.  

If fans are seriously looking for a three-peat, they should be hoping that we can keep Sneed for another year.  He is a total lockdown guy. If we are looking for long term contention, then let him go for a really good player and a draft pick or two. But going for a third super bowl in a row would require Sneed to stay with us IMO.

I have heard so many FA rumors linking the Chiefs to this player or that player. I suppose if you throw enough at the wall something will stick. Veach and Co. seem to have done okay the past few years. As long as we have the current Mt. Rushmore (Reid, Mahomes, Kelce and Jones) I think we are always gonna be contenders. Let the rest of the league pay the massive FA contracts and hope it works out.

42 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

There goes Ekeler

Two years, up to $11.43 million. Sounds like a good deal for someone of his talent. Would've loved to pair him up with Pacheco. 

3 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

A lot of mid level players making a lot of money.  Probably best to sit the next few days out.  There will be plenty of good players hit FA when a lot of the initial money has already been spent.

Yeah, I figured Fant would come a bit cheaper as a mid type guy but he had a lot of upside. Veach will get those middle type guys like that and ones that fit. This way we have the draft to fill the rest for starters, more depth and development. 

Honestly we have not lost much other than Gay and Sneed when he is traded and a few rotational guys. We can fill the depth rotational guys here soon. Tranquill took Gays spot and we are deep at CB. Pretty much the same team as last year, just need that WR and OT upgrade. 

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

If fans are seriously looking for a three-peat, they should be hoping that we can keep Sneed for another year.  He is a total lockdown guy. If we are looking for long term contention, then let him go for a really good player and a draft pick or two. But going for a third super bowl in a row would require Sneed to stay with us IMO.

If the stories about how much the coaches likes Nazeeh Johnson before he got hurt last year are true, the drop off in the secondary may not be that much.  I'm more concerned about replacing Danna and Omenihu (probably) than the D-backs.  Cook coming back should also be a plus.  Johnson replaces Sneed, good WR replaces MVS.  I'll take those odds.  

55 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If the stories about how much the coaches likes Nazeeh Johnson before he got hurt last year are true, the drop off in the secondary may not be that much.  I'm more concerned about replacing Danna and Omenihu (probably) than the D-backs.  Cook coming back should also be a plus.  Johnson replaces Sneed, good WR replaces MVS.  I'll take those odds.  

I always forget about Nazeeh Johnson.  They do claim to like him a lot. I hope you are right.  I just don't think there is a guy currently on our roster who can do all the things Sneed can do.  Whether we can win another title without him is very much an open question.  He just plain neutralized the #1 WR on every playoff team we faced, including Tyreek Hill. And those games were still close.  Having a more high powered offense could make up some of the difference, but there is just no replacing a guy like Sneed who can do so many things at a high level.  He is fearless, powerful, and plays with amazing energy.  Our other guys in the secondary are good, too...but not THAT good. Yes, it will be great to have Cook back.

7 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I always forget about Nazeeh Johnson.  They do claim to like him a lot. I hope you are right.  I just don't think there is a guy currently on our roster who can do all the things Sneed can do.  Whether we can win another title without him is very much an open question.  He just plain neutralized the #1 WR on every playoff team we faced, including Tyreek Hill. And those games were still close.  Having a more high powered offense could make up some of the difference, but there is just no replacing a guy like Sneed who can do so many things at a high level.  He is fearless, powerful, and plays with amazing energy.  Our other guys in the secondary are good, too...but not THAT good. Yes, it will be great to have Cook back.

I think of we score more of the to 27 to 30 ppg range it will make us better than relying on just the defense to carry us like they did last year. A more potent offense will make the opposing teams throw more and allow our pass rushers to feast.

If we double their primary wr1, I am confident we could 1 v 1 against their 2nd best WR. Who knows, maybe with a restructure of Mahomes we keep Sneed if no good offers. Then get a Mooney or Brown and go into the draft for a WR, OT etc.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

These discussions are what make the off season interesting until we get to real football.  Agree, Sneed won't be replaced with equal talent this season.  Disagree, Sneed isn't the best CB on the team.  McDuffy is.  He would have been runner up SB MVP if such an award were given.  Sneed has a recurring knee issue that's he's been able to play through.  Will he always be effective?  Don't know, but that could be why no deal has been completed.  The market for him may not be what he hoped for and the Chiefs may still cut a long term deal with him.  I contend that a solid receiver room will more than make up for the downgrade at CB.

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

Veach is doing exactly what has to be done.  Those who suggest trading Sneed for some other high priced vet are missing the point on why Sneed is up for trade.  The Chiefs have a number of top paid vets and have to fill in with players on rookie deals.  Trading Sneed for draft picks is much easier on the cap than trading him for other players.  Getting a short term LT or WR is about as much as we can expect.  Signing a few of their own FAs makes some sense. (Dana, Wharton, Allegretti, Edwards)  It would surprise me if Veach signs any FA for more than one year unless it's a couple of years deal for less than $10 million/year.  Grabbing Omenihu, Tranquill, Edwards, and later, Pennell was masterful without breaking the bank.  Hope for a repeat.  

100% agree jet.  Cheap cost controlled talent is how this dynasty lasts for the next decade.  We have to keep drafting well and plugging 90% of the holes on this team through the draft and then add in FA in the few areas that we miss on or leave via FA.   Veach will want to add a WR and probably LT competition before the draft to keep all options available.