Arrowhead Stadium Proposed Upgrades

I just don't see it happening, not because of the Chiefs upgrades, but the Royals.  I have my doubts about the appetite for downtown baseball.  I don't have any inside info or anything like that, I just don't think the support is there to plow under a huge portion of that area for a stadium.

3 hours ago, moons314 said:

I just don't see it happening, not because of the Chiefs upgrades, but the Royals.  I have my doubts about the appetite for downtown baseball.  I don't have any inside info or anything like that, I just don't think the support is there to plow under a huge portion of that area for a stadium.

There's several organizations that are opposing the vote to move the Royals downtown.  I'm not in the area at this time so don't know how strong they are or who they represent.  We certainly will go to fewer games, if any, if we have to go to the inner city for baseball games.  No one has explained, or we've missed it, how the parking and traffic will work.  At least the present stadium is near an interstate crossroads and the parking is unlimited.  I'm pretty sure how we'll vote and it's not just because of the taxes.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

There's several organizations that are opposing the vote to move the Royals downtown.  I'm not in the area at this time so don't know how strong they are or who they represent.  We certainly will go to fewer games, if any, if we have to go to the inner city for baseball games.  No one has explained, or we've missed it, how the parking and traffic will work.  At least the present stadium is near an interstate crossroads and the parking is unlimited.  I'm pretty sure how we'll vote and it's not just because of the taxes.

I'm on the Kansas side, so I have no vote.  It's been quite a while since I've gone to a Royals game, and the covid year combined with the Royals sucking really killed my interest in baseball.  I am however going to opening day this year, just to see if I can get back into baseball.  If they move downtown, I can see myself going to a game just to check out the stadium, but beyond that, probably not.  Parking is going to suck.  I'm not into public transit, so that's a non starter.  I went to a concert last weekend at the Truman, and as I was looking around the area I was just like "how"?  Are they going to build parking garages and charge $50 to park?  Man, I'll pay parking for my Chiefs season tickets because it's only 8 games, and football is an all day even with tailgating.  If they want that kind of money to park to see the Royals that's a big no from me.  I just don't understand the love affair with moving downtown.  I enjoy going downtown, The Truman, The Uptown, The Plaza, etc but traffic is already a clusterfuck down there, plopping a stadium into the middle of that would be a nightmare.  IMO, I hope it doesn't pass.  

Edited to add.  What happens to the existing businesses?  Do they offer to buy them out and if the businesses refuse they enforce imminent domain?  I don't live there so I'm not up on the specifics.  I know Grinders is in the area and I'd hate to see that go.  The Truman looks safe on the edge.  I just hate to see my small concert venues get taken out. 

11 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I'm on the Kansas side, so I have no vote.  It's been quite a while since I've gone to a Royals game, and the covid year combined with the Royals sucking really killed my interest in baseball.  I am however going to opening day this year, just to see if I can get back into baseball.  If they move downtown, I can see myself going to a game just to check out the stadium, but beyond that, probably not.  Parking is going to suck.  I'm not into public transit, so that's a non starter.  I went to a concert last weekend at the Truman, and as I was looking around the area I was just like "how"?  Are they going to build parking garages and charge $50 to park?  Man, I'll pay parking for my Chiefs season tickets because it's only 8 games, and football is an all day even with tailgating.  If they want that kind of money to park to see the Royals that's a big no from me.  I just don't understand the love affair with moving downtown.  I enjoy going downtown, The Truman, The Uptown, The Plaza, etc but traffic is already a clusterfuck down there, plopping a stadium into the middle of that would be a nightmare.  IMO, I hope it doesn't pass.  

Edited to add.  What happens to the existing businesses?  Do they offer to buy them out and if the businesses refuse they enforce imminent domain?  I don't live there so I'm not up on the specifics. 

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

Edited to add.  What happens to the existing businesses?  Do they offer to buy them out and if the businesses refuse they enforce imminent domain?  I don't live there so I'm not up on the specifics.  I know Grinders is in the area and I'd hate to see that go.  The Truman looks safe on the edge.  I just hate to see my small concert venues get taken out. 

The most likely place is the old KCStar printing building.  Since the paper isn't printed there any more, that would be a major part of the new stadium area.  The traffic and parking would be a nightmare.  Many years ago, I lived in the Chicago area and went to Wrigley Field a number of times.  Fortunately, I had a GF that lived within a mile and could walk to the stadium.  There was practically no parking.  Folk still went, but they were used to public transportation.  Don't see that happening in KC.  Everyone will go once to see the shiny new place and not again unless the Royals are contenders.

3 hours ago, moons314 said:

since when is the plaza downtown did they move it since i lived there ;)