3 minutes ago, xen said:

Keon plays a lot faster than that timed speed.  Look how smooth he was in the drills.  Great hands.  A lot of untapped potential.  Ran same couple of routes over and over.  Not a fan of his college offensive system.  With Andy's emphasis on separation o wonder how high we'll have him but really like the player.

I wish Franklin would have run faster.  His calling card is speed.

I've seen Keon dropping in several draft rankings and assume it's because of his 40 time.  Most mocks have him early/mid second.  There was an article (wish I'd kept the addy) that correlated combine 40 times with NFL success at WR.  Lots of "slow" guys had long careers and half the sub 4.4 guys busted out.    

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I've seen Keon dropping in several draft rankings and assume it's because of his 40 time.  Most mocks have him early/mid second.  There was an article (wish I'd kept the addy) that correlated combine 40 times with NFL success at WR.  Lots of "slow" guys had long careers and half the sub 4.4 guys busted out.    

https://www.footballperspective.com/are-40-yard-dash-times-correlated-with-success-for-wide-receivers-part-iii/

7 hours ago, xen said:

Another with weight similar to Worthy's playing weight

20240308_070730.jpg

I said he was a really good player, Xen.  Just too small to hold up in the NFL.  I stand by that and would be shocked if he is a guy they pick.  They will pick a WR, whether by draft of free agency, and he will be a bigger guy who can go up for the ball and put some muscle on defenders. I know speed kills, and Andy Reid knows that.  But he also knows that speed kills when it is on the field and not on injured reserve.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I said he was a really good player, Xen.  Just too small to hold up in the NFL.  I stand by that and would be shocked if he is a guy they pick.  They will pick a WR, whether by draft of free agency, and he will be a bigger guy who can go up for the ball and put some muscle on defenders. I know speed kills, and Andy Reid knows that.  But he also knows that speed kills when it is on the field and not on injured reserve.

I'm with you, Bil, but think the Chiefs will add at least two WR to the receiver room.  One could be the larger, fight for the ball in the red zone type and the other a speedy separation guy.  If that's the case, then Worthy might make sense although I'm partial to McConkey.  It all depends on who they get in FA before the draft.  

I hope they do.  I like receivers who can block. Otherwise, their use is limited only to certain plays, and defenses know which plays are possibly coming depending on who is lining up.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Careful now, according to bil and jet he can't play in the nfl cause of his size even though all available evidence, including smaller guys excelling, says otherwise.  Forget the fact the he's 3rd all time in TDs and 4th all time in receiving yards and 6th all time in catches for Texas.

11 minutes ago, xen said:

Careful now, according to bil and jet he can't play in the nfl cause of his size even though all available evidence, including smaller guys excelling, says otherwise.  Forget the fact the he's 3rd all time in TDs and 4th all time in receiving yards and 6th all time in catches for Texas.

You be careful, spewing facts can get you to have TDS.

3 hours ago, xen said:

I never said he couldn't play in the NFL or for the Chiefs.  I did point out that the Chiefs need a bigger guy for red zone play  Worthy isn't my first choice in the draft, but if the Chiefs had him and Keenan Allen or Ridley as well, I'd be a happy fan.  

On 3/6/2024 at 11:28 PM, Fmbl2187 said:

A very philosophical question OT.

Actually, he is a potential WR draftee who just ran a 4.21 second 40 yard dash at the combine.  The fastest time ever recorded at the combine.  Even faster than Hill.  But he is pretty small, only 165 lb and 5'11.  He has very good hands and can track the ball but could get annihilated by a big guy.  He would have to be a gadget or maybe used like MVS to stretch the field and open it up to the other receivers. Maybe a bottom of first round or early 2nd round guy. Could go higher because of his combine performance.

I don't know his injury history. A big question is how much he would have to be unavailable due to injury or have snaps at least limited to avoid injury.  Another problem with a small, fast receiver is that they are too small to be good blockers. A lot of teams build their system around good blocking WR's  IMO, Worthy would be best used on kick returns due to his speed and good hands.  I don't think he would be used much as a WR except on obvious passing situations.  What it comes down to is how adamant Toub is about getting a punt returner as well as how much Andy and Nagy need a field stretcher.  The whole coaching staff obviously like versatility.  That's why I feel a sturdier and bigger receiver who can block and be a red zone threat is what the Chiefs will go for. A draft should consider how many snaps a guy can handle and the variety of plays and situations they can be used with.

6 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I don't know his injury history. A big question is how much he would have to be unavailable due to injury or have snaps at least limited to avoid injury.  Another problem with a small, fast receiver is that they are too small to be good blockers. A lot of teams build their system around good blocking WR's  IMO, Worthy would be best used on kick returns due to his speed and good hands.  I don't think he would be used much as a WR except on obvious passing situations.  What it comes down to is how adamant Toub is about getting a punt returner as well as how much Andy and Nagy need a field stretcher.  The whole coaching staff obviously like versatility.  That's why I feel a sturdier and bigger receiver who can block and be a red zone threat is what the Chiefs will go for. A draft should consider how many snaps a guy can handle and the variety of plays and situations they can be used with.

you don't waste a 1st-3rd rounder on just a kick returner.

I go back and forth on him.  He doesn't look like just a straight line speed guy (like so many of the guys who end up being busts)  He looks like he has some quickness to pair with that elite speed and his route running looks better than most of those guys previously mentioned.  We need that field stretcher and I think he can add 10-15 lbs of muscle back on before training camp.   I do think i would rather have AD Mitchell and find a speed merchant later in the draft or FA, but I won't be upset if he is our pick.  

From this site, but I am sure you can many others. What csn be corrected or what can't be taught if we did select him? I am sure adding weight will correct some things but at the cost of his speed or not?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10090932-xavier-worthy-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-texas-wr.amp.html

POSITIVES

— Great speed. Should be the primary deep threat in any offense.

— Great short-area explosiveness. Twitchy and controlled.

— Good route-running tools. Quick feet and loose hips to transition in and out of breaks well.

— Above-average ball-tracking skills down the field. Shows ability to track over his shoulder and maintain top speed.

NEGATIVES

— Terribly skinny frame. Struggles versus press and often goes down on first contact.

— Too many careless drops in the open field.

— Poor ability to win the ball in the air. Cannot fight through contact or reach for the ball effectively.

I'm puzzled.  This is such a long thread about one fast, skinny receiver.  I can't understand it.  We could pick one or even two with this guy's same upside, and this draft is deep in great WR's.  We do need speed with MVS gone, but c'mon.  What about the others who have more versatility and could bully people out there? We need a guy who can block also.

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

those negatives are awfully worrisome

I am worried he will add weight and still not be physical enough. Thing is you can't teach speed, twitchy movements etc. Will he bust and be a Toney? He drops easy passes it says, but his route running is great and he tracks the ball well. Would be great to see him work out with Mahomes and get his opinion. 

7 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I am worried he will add weight and still not be physical enough. Thing is you can't teach speed, twitchy movements etc. Will he bust and be a Toney? He drops easy passes it says, but his route running is great and he tracks the ball well. Would be great to see him work out with Mahomes and get his opinion. 

one would haver to think that will be happening in short order IF he is on the Chiefs radar..did that not happen last year as well? And being in Texas it's just down the rd.