2 hours ago, xen said:

Sure wish we could keep him.  

So does delaying the tag until the last minute indicate that if was found that Sneed wasn't going to get a $20 million contract or does it mean a deal is close?

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

So does delaying the tag until the last minute indicate that if was found that Sneed wasn't going to get a $20 million contract or does it mean a deal is close?

I think they wanted to leave open the possibility of tagging CJ instead to drive negotiations.  Probably says a CJ deal is close.  If you see them announce any restructured deals before they consumate a sneed trade then a CJ deal would be imminent I would think as they may need to free up some space.

Since they just hit him with the tag that may mean a trade is close as well.

This is all above my pay grade.  I thought Sneed was going to be tagged tomorrow.  Why was it advanced?  Could it be that a deal was worked out and Sneed had to be tagged to be under Chiefs' control for a trade?  If he's going to play in KC on the tag (hopefully a longer deal could be worked out for a smaller hit in 2024) it doesn't make sense to do it today.  Saving the tag for leverage over Jones is now out the window.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

This is all above my pay grade.  I thought Sneed was going to be tagged tomorrow.  Why was it advanced?  Could it be that a deal was worked out and Sneed had to be tagged to be under Chiefs' control for a trade?  If he's going to play in KC on the tag (hopefully a longer deal could be worked out for a smaller hit in 2024) it doesn't make sense to do it today.  Saving the tag for leverage over Jones is now out the window.  

Relax broski. You know Veach plays chess. If he was concerned about not getting Jones done they'd have gone on a completely different path this offseason.

Jones will retire a Chief. And The CB factory will produce another stud after Sneed leaves. And we have one of the best CBs in football on a rookie deal. 

They will use most of the money they save after trading Sneed to get Jones done. 

#ChiefsKingdom 

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Relax broski. You know Veach plays chess. If he was concerned about not getting Jones done they'd have gone on a completely different path this offseason.

Jones will retire a Chief. And The CB factory will produce another stud after Sneed leaves. And we have one of the best CBs in football on a rookie deal. 

They will use most of the money they save after trading Sneed to get Jones done. 

#ChiefsKingdom 

And this frees up money I'm the future for Creed and even that other stud CB in McDuffy. Veech gets picks, saves money, reloads and resigns for the future etc. As long as he keeps hitting well in the draft we are 2 steps ahead. Chess.

I hope the reports of a lingering knee issue are just rumors. I'm just hoping for an amicable trade that works out for all involved. I'd love to keep him, especially since he's a home-grown star talent, but our depth at CB and need for $$ elsewhere likely means it's time to part ways. 

The Chiefs were pretty high on Nazeeh Johnson before he got hurt last year.  Maybe he's penciled in for Sneed already.  Merritt has trained up a lot of DBs in the past few years so with a third day pick this year, the team will be okay at CB.  Still, it sure hurts to lose Sneed.  He and McDuffy were gold in the playoff this winter.  

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

They were never going to use the tag on Jones, that would have been a fireable offense.

What about trading him to a team with a higher pick where we swap first round picks and get a 2nd or 3rd too? Some teams need a CB in the 10 to 17 range? 

We give them our 32nd pick, move up to a higher range and get another pick too 2nd or 3rd round? Below are team needs with Chicago needing a CB at 10th pick (probably then a 4th rounder added) to 20th pick of Steelers  which would be a 2nd and another lower pick added. Indy at 15 too etc. Indy is where i think we try for a 2nd round pick added in.

Their position on the draft points value for 15th is 1050. 32nd pick has a 590 point total. 460 difference which the 46th point total Indy has is 440.   We then get the 15th pick, 46th pick and our 2nd round pick too for the 32nd pick and trading Sneed. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-draft-order-for-round-1-top-five-needs-for-all-32-teams-entering-offseason

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

What about trading him to a team with a higher pick where we swap first round picks and get a 2nd or 3rd too? Some teams need a CB in the 10 to 17 range? 

We give them our 32nd pick, move upnto a higher range and get another pick too 2nd or 3rd round? Below are team needs with Chicago needing s t CB at 10th pick (probably then a 4th rounder added) to 20th pick of Steelers.  Indy at 15 too etc. Indy is where i think we try for a 2nd round pick added in.

Their position on the draft points value for 15th is 1050. 32nd pick has a 590 point total. 460 difference which the 46th point total Indy has is 440.   We then get the 15th pick, 46th pick and our 2nd round pick too for the 32nd pick and trading Sneed. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-draft-order-for-round-1-top-five-needs-for-all-32-teams-entering-offseason

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Sneed doesn't have that much trade value.  He wants $20 million and what team will pay that plus give up valuable draft picks?  Ramsey, after several years as the top CB, got two firsts but that was an exception.  Teams would rather go to the draft and get players on rookie deals.  If they get a second for Sneed, they will be doing well. 

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Sneed doesn't have that much trade value.  He wants $20 million and what team will pay that plus give up valuable draft picks?  Ramsey, after several years as the top CB, got two firsts but that was an exception.  Teams would rather go to the draft and get players on rookie deals.  If they get a second for Sneed, they will be doing well. 

Well with Indy scenario they would swap first and give up a 2nd. The point total works.

I disagree. He has good trade value.   He won't net an elite haul like Tyreek but he will net us a good pick on day 2 and free up 20 million in cap space.  Our teams has found a niche at finding and developing dbs that fit and excel in Spags D.   We got 4 good years out of him and will be able to flip him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.   

I also disagree that teams like going to the draft to find are players like that.  Some teams do, but many teams can't or don't know how to draft certain positions or need to fill a hole and they would prefer to find a known commodity that take a chance.  Especially if said team is close to being in playoff contention or believing they are SB contenders a la the Lions, Colts, Pitt, and Miami.  

The tag for Jones, was never a real option. nobody's going for a exclusive 30 mil. tag.. veach isnt gonna pull the strings on that.

the tag target was always Sneed. why do it now, why not..?

2 minutes ago, robgar said:

as for the CB factory.. you know what the CB factory is? It is KC's front 7.. qbs have to make very, very fast decisions..

Goes both ways.  Well covered receivers cause the QB to hesitate.  Need both coverage and pass rush.  

30 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

The Vikings, Colts, Titans, Patriots, Lions, Falcons and Jaguars have all expressed interest in Sneed, according to USA Today.

https://www.vikings.com/news/2024-draft-picks-selections-nfl-minnesota

With the 3rd pick in the NFL draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select...Marvin Harrison Jr.  WR, Ohio State.

Explore roger goodell GIFs

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

With the 3rd pick in the NFL draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select...Marvin Harrison Jr.  WR, Ohio State.

Explore roger goodell GIFs

That would be downright nasty, tho if we’re moving, I’d prefer not to move up quite as far and get Bowers.  Dude would fit nicely into the 13 personnel package 

4 minutes ago, moons314 said:

That would be downright nasty, tho if we’re moving, I’d prefer not to move up quite as far and get Bowers.  Dude would fit nicely into the 13 personnel package 

We are trading Sneed to the Patriots for #3.  They are apparently interested in him.