1 hour ago, Boone said:

This is 100% what I'm hoping for. I want a young stud DT picked in rounds 1-3.

There's several DTs that should be available to the Chiefs that grade pretty high but are too short for Spags's standards.  If he's willing to accept a 6'0" tiger, the Chiefs might be able to upgrade at the end of the second round.

Does anyone know the answers to a couple of questions?  1.  Has Sneed signed his tag yet and if not could the Chiefs rescind it?  2.  What advantage is it to the Chiefs to have Sneed under the tag if they can't get a decent trade for him?  Sure, it keeps other teams from getting him on the cheap, but would they pay him more than the Chiefs may have to eat if he stays under the tag?  They would still get a third (a year later) if he walked. 

19 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Does anyone know the answers to a couple of questions?  1.  Has Sneed signed his tag yet and if not could the Chiefs rescind it?  2.  What advantage is it to the Chiefs to have Sneed under the tag if they can't get a decent trade for him?  Sure, it keeps other teams from getting him on the cheap, but would they pay him more than the Chiefs may have to eat if he stays under the tag?  They would still get a third (a year later) if he walked. 

1. No, he has not signed yet. They could rescind at any time (no real reason to, though). Until he signs, he is under no obligation to attend any practices (and cannot be fined for not showing). There's no incentive for him to sign unless they can't come to a long term agreement by mid-July or if he's about to be traded. 

2. He can play the year under the tag. If he's not traded and no long-term contract is made, he can't play unless he signs the tag and gets $19 mill for the year. If the tag was rescinded and he received the monster contract we expect him to, getting a 3rd next year as a comp pic is likely, but not guaranteed due to the NFL's super-secret comp pic calculations. Also, most teams budgets are already setting up for this year, and will be mostly settled after the draft. No guarantee he'd get the massive contract if we pulled the tag closer to the season. Better to have him for this year on the tag and then let him walk next year (unless we want to tag him a second time, then the $$ jumps).

He could be traded tomorrow. Or he could be traded on day 2 of the draft. Or he could play out the year on the tag. Who knows what plans Veach is making right now. 

56 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I have been seeing a lot of similar posts on Sneed like this above.

No way should Sneed be the highest paid CB in the league.  Veach has a history of not overpaying CBs.  Irresistible force meets immovable object.  Sneed better sign the tag and hope he has another memorable year.  Could this become a replay of the Jones talks last season?  The Chiefs can't make moves in FA because they don't know Sneed's cost and Sneed gains nothing by over valuing himself. 

19 minutes ago, jetlord said:

No way should Sneed be the highest paid CB in the league.  Veach has a history of not overpaying CBs.  Irresistible force meets immovable object.  Sneed better sign the tag and hope he has another memorable year.  Could this become a replay of the Jones talks last season?  The Chiefs can't make moves in FA because they don't know Sneed's cost and Sneed gains nothing by over valuing himself. 

agreed but there is not much difference between #1 and the Tag$.. Are the top 5 CBs someone(s) we'd rather have? I dunno. This Defense I believe is a sum of all it's parts and I have no problem having Snead play on the tag. and yes this may very well l turn out to be a CJ situation..but it' shard to see Snead having a year like CJ did and Then the Chiefs may just have to wave goodbye

It very well could be that Sneed''s skill set and what he's asked to do in Spag's defense is a perfect match and therefore the Chiefs I think would value him more than other teams. Thus they want a second round pick minimum and nobody wants to give that. Plus the contract issues with Sneed given his expectations on $$. If I were a betting.man I would say Sneed plays under the tag for this coming year.

5 hours ago, dhitter said:

It very well could be that Sneed''s skill set and what he's asked to do in Spag's defense is a perfect match and therefore the Chiefs I think would value him more than other teams. Thus they want a second round pick minimum and nobody wants to give that. Plus the contract issues with Sneed given his expectations on $$. If I were a betting.man I would say Sneed plays under the tag for this coming year.

Probably, but Sneed hasn't signed the tag offer yet.  By now, the Chiefs have to know pretty well what Sneed can command on the open market and it may be less than $19.8 million.  So why not rescind the tag and just compete with whatever other offers Sneed can't gin up?  Worst scenario, Sneed leaves and the Chiefs get a third round comp pick next year.  Best case, Sneed has to face what teams will pay and he signs a three year, $48 million deal or something like that.  Guess I'm just impatient after the Jones fiasco last year.  

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

Probably, but Sneed hasn't signed the tag offer yet.  By now, the Chiefs have to know pretty well what Sneed can command on the open market and it may be less than $19.8 million.  So why not rescind the tag and just compete with whatever other offers Sneed can't gin up?  Worst scenario, Sneed leaves and the Chiefs get a third round comp pick next year.  Best case, Sneed has to face what teams will pay and he signs a three year, $48 million deal or something like that.  Guess I'm just impatient after the Jones fiasco last year.  

Do they have to know?

according to the Tweet no team has offered a 2nd rnd pick either..maybe both players in this drama are unsatisfied and JMO  just maybe the Chiefs are counting on that physical to make a call on their end on how to proceed and maybe the other teams are as well?

53 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Do they have to know?

according to the Tweet no team has offered a 2nd rnd pick either..maybe both players in this drama are unsatisfied and JMO  just maybe the Chiefs are counting on that physical to make a call on their end on how to proceed and maybe the other teams are as well?

They don’t have to know but I’m guessing they do.   Sneed and his agent have probably had talks with Veach and let him know what his asking price was and I’m not sure but  it’s probably not changed much no matter what team he is dealing with.  Whatever the number KC doesnt seem comfortable paying it.

11 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

They don’t have to know but I’m guessing they do.   Sneed and his agent have probably had talks with Veach and let him know what his asking price was and I’m not sure but  it’s probably not changed much no matter what team he is dealing with.  Whatever the number KC doesnt seem comfortable paying it.

not to be argumentative but it would seem to me they are comfortable paying  1year $19+M so my gut saying the length is an issue.

it's also my hunch that Snead and his agents listened to too many of the talking heads after Season saying Snead was going to have a Brinks Truck backed up to his house.. That truck broke down IMO

His agents  are probably trying to use the CJ strategy I dont see Veach falling for that twice, Sneed is no CJ..

Pigs get fat Hogs get slaughtered 

Teams, including KC, are scared of his lingering knee issue.  That's why KC can't get the trade value they want.  And why no one, including KC, will give him a long term deal, or offer the comps KC wants in a trade.

JMO

8 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Teams, including KC, are scared of his lingering knee issue.  That's why KC can't get the trade value they want.  And why no one, including KC, will give him a long term deal, or offer the comps KC wants in a trade.

JMO

and to your point

https://heavy.com/sports/kansas-city-chiefs/ljarius-sneed-knee-injury-red-flags/

26 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

not to be argumentative but it would seem to me they are comfortable paying  1year $19+M so my gut saying the length is an issue.

it's also my hunch that Snead and his agents listened to too many of the talking heads after Season saying Snead was going to have a Brinks Truck backed up to his house.. That truck broke down IMO

His agents  are probably trying to use the CJ strategy I dont see Veach falling for that twice, Sneed is no CJ..

Pigs get fat Hogs get slaughtered 

It could be both length and amount.   For whatever reason these guys value being able to say they are highest paid at whatever position.  The rumored amount he wants is 22. I doubt he gets it but will see how it plays out.  

I think we are fairly well positioned for a BPA draft.  Of course, moving Sneed and getting back that $20 mil would enable predraft moves like:

1. LT Plan

2. QB 2 Plan

3. BU RB

4. BU Interior Line for the O

On the Sneed side....Sometime, in the middle of the night he has to be thinking about a couple of things.

1. Does he really want to stay in KC for the Long term

2. Does he have a knee injury? (His level of play in the playoffs and SB did not indicate it)

3. Is it better to sign a long term deal with KC at say $15mil per year for 4 years with $50 mil guaranteed?

#3 would keep me awake I think

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

I love the idea of Sneed coming back. Playing on the tag isn't ideal. I keep thinking of who else the Chiefs could bring in if not for that $19.8 million tag. Initially I was excited about the idea of trading Sneed and maybe getting a low first round/ high second round pick. Like three day old sushi that dream hasn't aged well.

3 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

It's awfully early still. A lot of things can happen. A lot of different scenarios. To me, the worst that could happen is that he would play for us this season on the tag. OMG!  NOT SNEED!  I WOULD HATE TO SEE HIM OUT THERE!

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Disagree.  I think neither side is happy with Sneed playing on the tag.  The Chiefs are shopping Sneed because they don't want to pay that much.  Sneed wants a guaranteed deal that pays him bank for several years.  The tag means the Chiefs pay more than they can afford with their other needs and Sneed takes a chance that his knee kicks up or he has a concussion or maybe his play becomes more average so at 28 the big deal is gone.  Other teams might pay closer to Sneed's asking price, but not if it also costs them a day two draft pick

55 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

It's awfully early still. A lot of things can happen. A lot of different scenarios. To me, the worst that could happen is that he would play for us this season on the tag. OMG!  NOT SNEED!  I WOULD HATE TO SEE HIM OUT THERE!

As Chiefs' fans, we tend to over value Chiefs players.  Sneed was a hero last year so many want to do everything to keep him.  But there has to be priorities.  Sneed's $19.8 million would go a long ways toward resigning Danna or Ogbah, bringing in a vet LT, hiring a back up QB, and filling the scanty RB room and that's not even addressing the possibility of getting another vet WR.  No one on the team will be as good as Sneed (we assume) but the Chiefs DB room is a full as any position on the team.  Better to drop off a bit at CB and fill most of the other needs.  Also better to be flexible in the future rather than tying the team to more future cap issues.  

8 minutes ago, jetlord said:

As Chiefs' fans, we tend to over value Chiefs players.  Sneed was a hero last year so many want to do everything to keep him.  But there has to be priorities.  Sneed's $19.8 million would go a long ways toward resigning Danna or Ogbah, bringing in a vet LT, hiring a back up QB, and filling the scanty RB room and that's not even addressing the possibility of getting another vet WR.  No one on the team will be as good as Sneed (we assume) but the Chiefs DB room is a full as any position on the team.  Better to drop off a bit at CB and fill most of the other needs.  Also better to be flexible in the future rather than tying the team to more future cap issues.