5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Unless their QB gets hot, a 7-10 record would be about right which would give the Chiefs a pick around #75.  Why is next year's pick worth so much less than a similar one this year?  The Chiefs will have a lot of needs nest year as well as this one  

Every pick next year is worth less because no one knows where exactly it will be. Why I do wish we had their pick this year. We won't have too much need next year if we hit the draft this year. If we get a LT and WR we will be good. Need DT also to develop and a TE.

I say this that we retain our own starters like Creed, Bolton etc. This cap space cleared from Sneed I hope we use to extend them before FA next year. 

If I am reading this right, we are at 64 mil in cap space next year as it stands now. We could go out and get the WR, TE etc needed, resign our own and still have next year's draft too.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/2025/

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

How much can you move up using only a 7th rounder as bait.  We don't get the third round pick until 2025.  Not much of an incentive.  Maybe move up one spot for a seventh rounder?

They’ll use one of the extra 3rds 

Chiefs stockpiling 2025 NFL draft picks

The Chiefs appear to be stacking up the picks in the 2025 NFL draft. The Sneed trade gives them what will in all likelihood be a fourth pick in the top 100. As things currently stand, Kansas City could already have as many as 10 picks in the 2025 NFL draft, giving Veach a lot of capital to work with in the future.

Buffalo Bills sign former Los Angeles Chargers defensive lineman Austin Johnson

As for the future pick acquired, that sets the team up with quite the collection of draft picks come April of 2025. 

Chiefs stockpiling 2025 NFL draft picks

The Chiefs appear to be stacking up the picks in the 2025 NFL draft. The Sneed trade gives them what will in all likelihood be a fourth pick in the top 100. As things currently stand, Kansas City could already have as many as 10 picks in the 2025 NFL draft, giving Veach a lot of capital to work with in the future. 

These are the picks we know they have for certain:
  • first round
  • second round
  • third round
  • third round (Tennessee Titans - L'Jarius Sneed)
  • fourth round
  • fifth round
  • seventh round (New York Jets - Mecole Hardman)

This is a pick they could have:

seventh round (Conditional - Carolina Panthers - Ihmir Smith-Marsette)

We don't yet know if the conditions were met for the Chiefs' trade of Smith-Marsette. They either own their own seventh-round pick or the Panthers' seventh-round pick.

These are the compensatory picks they're currently projected to receive:

seventh round (Tommy Townsend)

seventh round (Willie Gay Jr.)

Compensatory pick projections via Over The Cap's Nick Korte. There can still be canceled out with future free agent signings by the Chiefs. Re-signing players and signing players who were released would not count against the comp pick formula. 

https://atozsports.com/kansas-city/chiefs-updated-nfl-draft-picks-2024-2025-ljarius-sneed-trade/

Then take into effect we can roll over cap space to next year if we don't use it all etc.

1 hour ago, Calichief said:

They’ll use one of the extra 3rds 

So how far could they move up in the second using #64 plus a next year's third?  I think the middle of the second round is filled with possibilities.  

10 minutes ago, jetlord said:

So how far could they move up in the second using #64 plus a next year's third?  I think the middle of the second round is filled with possibilities.  

Next year's picks are generally considered to be as valuable as 1 round less in the current year. So, a next year's 3rd is equivalent to a this year's 4th. Assuming a mid-4th round value, that might get us up about 10 picks higher, if combined with this year's 64th pick. 

42 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

True. Hadn't thought about that. I assume you mean one of the thirds (they will have two, right?)

See above in my post what they have for next year and the draft picks so far.

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

See above in my post what they have for next year and the draft picks so far.

Yeah, I was aware of the rolling over cap space to subsequent years.  Yes, two round 3 picks. The way you posted before sounded like there were two others besides our own instead of one other.  Anyway, good compendium.  Obviously, there is so much that is unknown with comp picks etc. It sure seems like next year, there will be enough capital to really get one or two huge splash players or maybe one and pay our own best guys into new contracts.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Yeah, I was aware of the rolling over cap space to subsequent years.  Yes, two round 3 picks. The way you posted before sounded like there were two others besides our own instead of one other.  Anyway, good compendium.  Obviously, there is so much that is unknown with comp picks etc. It sure seems like next year, there will be enough capital to really get one or two huge splash players or maybe one and pay our own best guys into new contracts.

Yes, a great amount of cap and 10 plus picks. We can hopefully extend a couple this year and do what we need to in FA. I think Botlon or Creed gets extended in season. Then one gets a FA contract. Hit the depth if we can but I see a few FA acquisitions. I think Smith may be gone because man that guard market went up close to 20 mil per year. I can see us drafting a replacement this yeat.

6 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Yes, a great amount of cap and 10 plus picks. We can hopefully extend a couple this year and do what we need to in FA. I think Botlon or Creed gets extended in season. Then one gets a FA contract. Hit the depth if we can but I see a few FA acquisitions. I think Smith may be gone because man's that guard market went up close to 20 mil per year. I can see us drafting a replacement this yeat.

The Chiefs could draft a Smith/Thuney replacement this year if the right one falls to them on day two.  There's no position that they absolutely have to fill and if Beebe from KSU could be had, it would be worth a day two pick.  Same for Puni from KU later although nothing much good ever comes out of KU.  Remember, Allegretti was picked in the seventh so let Veach work his magic for IOL help.  

Thinking of guards, I am still worried about Trey Smith as much as when we got him because of his serious blood clotting episode that resulted in a spontaneous deep vein clot in his leg before we drafted him. We have been very lucky that he has avoided a recurrence, because those things can break off and go the lungs and kill you.  A young person does not get that out of the blue unless he has an inherited defect in the coagulation system. He may never have another or he may have one in a year or ten.  Either way, he has been lucky so far.  Re-signing him might not be the smartest thing, as good as he is.  It would be best IMO to pick up an OG in this coming draft and let Andy Heck go to work on him.

11 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Thinking of guards, I am still worried about Trey Smith as much as when we got him because of his serious blood clotting episode that resulted in a spontaneous deep vein clot in his leg before we drafted him. We have been very lucky that he has avoided a recurrence, because those things can break off and go the lungs and kill you.  A young person does not get that out of the blue unless he has an inherited defect in the coagulation system. He may never have another or he may have one in a year or ten.  Either way, he has been lucky so far.  Re-signing him might not be the smartest thing, as good as he is.  It would be best IMO to pick up an OG in this coming draft and let Andy Heck go to work on him.

If the Chiefs aren't worried, then I'm not worried.  The issue is that Smith will command $15-20 million and the Chiefs need to keep at least one O-lineman on a rookie contract.  Creed won't come cheap so getting getting a rookie at LT and RG within the next two years would be big.  

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If the Chiefs aren't worried, then I'm not worried.  The issue is that Smith will command $15-20 million and the Chiefs need to keep at least one O-lineman on a rookie contract.  Creed won't come cheap so getting getting a rookie at LT and RG within the next two years would be big.  

That's definitely an issue, too. But let's face it.  We worried some about Sneed's knee, and it factored into the decision.  Risky knees and risky blood are both medical issues AND team issues.

35 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I'm fully prepared for us drafting a LT in the first or even moving up to grabbing one and it being someone like Morgan or Paul lol.   All kidding aside, I do think LT, OG, WR, DT could very well be our top 4 picks in no particular order.  Finding a long term solution at LT would be huge for this team.  I know this draft is loaded with wrs but that position can be filled much easier than finding a cost controlled LT for the next 5 years.

10 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I'm fully prepared for us drafting a LT in the first or even moving up to grabbing one and it being someone like Morgan or Paul lol.   All kidding aside, I do think LT, OG, WR, DT could very well be our top 4 picks in no particular order.  Finding a long term solution at LT would be huge for this team.  I know this draft is loaded with wrs but that position can be filled much easier than finding a cost controlled LT for the next 5 years.

Finding a LT might be harder than it seems.  Most of the tackles in our range are RT's.  Morgan and Paul probably the only 2 LT's (and even that's not a sure thing) in range so you'd probably have to overdraft them a bit.  

31 minutes ago, xen said:

Finding a LT might be harder than it seems.  Most of the tackles in our range are RT's.  Morgan and Paul probably the only 2 LT's (and even that's not a sure thing) in range so you'd probably have to overdraft them a bit.  

Wanya Morris is huge, tall, and very athletic.  3rd round last year.  He was already pretty good  as a rookie.  He can play either LT or RT.  I don't think we can find anyone in this year's draft that is as likely to be as good, and he has plenty of experience. With another offseason, he will become more balanced with the run game and pass game. I don't think we need to try to get a LT in the draft until the following year. I really think Morris can be dominant, especially after another offseason with Andy Heck.

38 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Wanya Morris is huge, tall, and very athletic.  3rd round last year.  He was already pretty good  as a rookie.  He can play either LT or RT.  I don't think we can find anyone in this year's draft that is as likely to be as good, and he has plenty of experience. With another offseason, he will become more balanced with the run game and pass game. I don't think we need to try to get a LT in the draft until the following year. I really think Morris can be dominant, especially after another offseason with Andy Heck.

I agree altho not sure I would use the  word  "dominate" but I would say serviceable C+/B- type

14 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I agree altho not sure I would use the  word  "dominate" but I would say serviceable C+/B- type

I hope you are wrong. I've read otherwise, but I read a lot of worthless stuff.  Just my nature 🤓

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I'm all for an early OT pick.  Maybe Morris is all you claim but the Chiefs need more.  They need to replace D. Smith.  Niang appears to be a bust.  Prince Wannabanga could be gone.  And even if Morris is the longer term solution at LT, having a replacement for Taylor and his expensive contract a couple of years down the road would be worthwhile while the rookie backs up as a swing tackle and learns.

15 hours ago, xen said:

Which is why I'm prepared for either of those two to be the pick at 32.  100% agree finding a good LT won't easy.  From a cost standpoint, it might be the only position that makes sense to move up a good bit in the first and secure one that you think will be your future LT.  Having a cost controlled LT for 5 years is incredibly valuable financially. 

21 hours ago, xen said:

Mims may be there in the low 20s, if Veach can get up there.

33 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Mims may be there in the low 20s, if Veach can get up there.

Still only has starts on the right side though.  Certainly seems like he could switch over.  Lack of starts is concerning but love the potential.   Would be thrilled with the pick but not sure he's ready year 1.  

For OT, Mims is like "what if Orlando Brown was athletic".

12 minutes ago, xen said:

Still only has starts on the right side though.  Certainly seems like he could switch over.  Lack of starts is concerning but love the potential.   Would be thrilled with the pick but not sure he's ready year 1.  

For OT, Mims is like "what if Orlando Brown was athletic".

Maybe they try Taylor then at LT?