Even if Jones really wants to retire with KC, his agents have a different priority.  It's all about commissions and that obviously depends only on money for Jones.  They have every reason to not sign until some other team jacks up the bidding and what incentive is there in signing before the 11th?  Teams with tons of cap space and thinking this could be their year may not blink at making Jones the highest paid defensive player in the league.  So it would all seem to depend on who makes the call, Jones or the Katz Sharks.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Even if Jones really wants to retire with KC, his agents have a different priority.  It's all about commissions and that obviously depends only on money for Jones.  They have every reason to not sign until some other team jacks up the bidding and what incentive is there in signing before the 11th?  Teams with tons of cap space and thinking this could be their year may not blink at making Jones the highest paid defensive player in the league.  So it would all seem to depend on who makes the call, Jones or the Katz Sharks.  

At the end of the day CJ makes the final call. I have searched and searched to prove other wise so it's up to you to find anything that says any different. You have made this  claim before insinuating that  Players namely CJ are at the behest of the agent. I will give you last year CJ might of given them the reigns and but then they ran into a fence,  hopefully CJ has learned a lesson as have his agent(s).  Pigs get fat Hogs get slaughtered

https://sportsbiztrends.com/in-depth/what-are-sports-agents/

Sports agents play a pivotal role in the sports industry, acting as advocates, advisors, and mentors for athletes seeking to maximize their potential and secure successful careers. From negotiating contracts and endorsements to providing legal and financial guidance, agents facilitate their clients’ journey to greatness both on and off the field.

The agents agenda and the players agenda are somewhat aligned in this case.

That said, Chris Jones puts his name on the contract.

Jones has pledged to remain in KC. 

I will hold him to that.

w

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

At the end of the day CJ makes the final call. I have searched and searched to prove other wise so it's up to you to find anything that says any different. You have made this  claim before insinuating that  Players namely CJ are at the behest of the agent. I will give you last year CJ might of given them the reigns and but then they ran into a fence,  hopefully CJ has learned a lesson as have his agent(s).  Pigs get fat Hogs get slaughtered

https://sportsbiztrends.com/in-depth/what-are-sports-agents/

Sports agents play a pivotal role in the sports industry, acting as advocates, advisors, and mentors for athletes seeking to maximize their potential and secure successful careers. From negotiating contracts and endorsements to providing legal and financial guidance, agents facilitate their clients’ journey to greatness both on and off the field.

Maybe I put too much emphasis on the agents' influence and you're right, the final call is Jones's.  But when you go to your doc for an issue, his advice carries a lot of weight even though you decide what you want.  Same with your lawyer which is a closer example to an agent's relationship.  Jones seems to be an emotional person and that's fine, but it might also lead him to make claims about loving KC that in the light of day get overridden by money.  I certainly don't resent Jones getting the max if it's the most important thing for him.  As you said, it's his call.  But last year's example leads me to think his agents did him no favors and the same could happen again.  Hope I'm wrong and the Chiefs announce a contract before Monday.  We do live in the 'Show Me" state.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Maybe I put too much emphasis on the agents' influence and you're right, the final call is Jones's.  But when you go to your doc for an issue, his advice carries a lot of weight even though you decide what you want.  Same with your lawyer which is a closer example to an agent's relationship.  Jones seems to be an emotional person and that's fine, but it might also lead him to make claims about loving KC that in the light of day get overridden by money.  I certainly don't resent Jones getting the max if it's the most important thing for him.  As you said, it's his call.  But last year's example leads me to think his agents did him no favors and the same could happen again.  Hope I'm wrong and the Chiefs announce a contract before Monday.  We do live in the 'Show Me" state.  

If he doesnt sign, I expect Veech to go aggressively for FA players knowing we have that cap and available restructuring ability. Wilkins from Miami would get an offer from us a little bit lower than what we gave to Jones. Then go after a FA WR and possible LT/DE while resigning the rest we want like Tranquill or Gay.

The draft would be wide open in a lot of ways and we can use any money then for next year to lock up more of our own too. If this is done and we draft well this year, we won't have much holes to fill other than development and depth next year. 

Imagine being even better this year and knowing many may be locked in to have a free year in FA and drafting for the future only. Hopefully it will be us trying to get 4 SB in a row!

17 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

If he doesnt sign, I expect Veech to go aggressively for FA players knowing we have that cap and available restructuring ability. Wilkins from Miami would get an offer from us a little bit lower than what we gave to Jones. Then go after a FA WR and possible LT/DE while resigning the rest we want like Tranquill or Gay.

The draft would be wide open in a lot of ways and we can use any money then for next year to lock up more of our own too. If this is done and we draft well this year, we won't have much holes to fill other than development and depth next year. 

Imagine being even better this year and knowing many may be locked in to have a free year in FA and drafting for the future only. Hopefully it will be us trying to get 4 SB in a row!

Lol..this ^^^^^^would be awesome!

Nonetheless, I'm hearing CJ is worth something around 4 for 133M...NOPE. I don't see KC going that high at all. Maybe 4 for 120, with 80 guranteed??

I'm preparing for life without him, so yea...

I'm preparing for Chris to pull the same crap as last year and I'm also prepared for Veach to overpay him.  I don't think there is anyway in Hades he signs a 3/84 type deal that some have been floating around.  I can almost promise you the Texans made that ludicrous 4/133 deal.  For them its a win win.  Get a dominant player when they have a ton of key players on rookie deals or make KC overpay.    Love CJ and he is 100% the lynchpin on this D but our team can three peat without him.   He made winning last year incredibly hard because of his hold out that benefitted no one.  Veach either needs to close the deal or tell Chris thanks for the year and move onto plan B. Sign a Danielle Hunter and DJ Reader or some combination

6 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I'm preparing for Chris to pull the same crap as last year and I'm also prepared for Veach to overpay him.  I don't think there is anyway in Hades he signs a 3/84 type deal that some have been floating around.  I can almost promise you the Texans made that ludicrous 4/133 deal.  For them its a win win.  Get a dominant player when they have a ton of key players on rookie deals or make KC overpay.    Love CJ and he is 100% the lynchpin on this D but our team can three peat without him.   He made winning last year incredibly hard because of his hold out that benefitted no one.  Veach either needs to close the deal or tell Chris thanks for the year and move onto plan B. Sign a Danielle Hunter and DJ Reader or some combination

lots of over reaction imo

6 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Our lack of receivers made winning incredibly hard.  The defense made winning possible.  And CJ took that defense from good to elite. We do not win the superbowl without him last year so let's not get it twisted.

Can we win without him, sure.  But defense goes from elite to ? without CJ and Sneed.  We would need to fix the offense to 3peat in that scenario, which is entirely possible.  With CJ I think the D stays in the elite category even without Sneed and you can still fix the offense through the draft.

My only thing with Jones is he has played 8 years on a 300+ pound frame and will be 30. If you pay him the big money, he has to still be the same guy for at least 2 years. If he falls off the mountain it will crush KC absent wonderful draft picks. Given how good Spags made the defense in 5 years, you wonder if he can do it without Jones. I suspect he could. I don’t think it is doom and gloom if Jones leaves, but he has to be productive through age 32.

3 hours ago, xen said:

Our lack of receivers made winning incredibly hard.  The defense made winning possible.  And CJ took that defense from good to elite. We do not win the superbowl without him last year so let's not get it twisted.

Can we win without him, sure.  But defense goes from elite to ? without CJ and Sneed.  We would need to fix the offense to 3peat in that scenario, which is entirely possible.  With CJ I think the D stays in the elite category even without Sneed and you can still fix the offense through the draft.

Do you think the Chiefs will trade Sneed if they can't sign Jones before the 13th?  I believe they're in position to keep one of them.  They have a replacement for Sneed (Nazeeh Johnson?) but not Jones and CJ has the most impact when he's on top of his game.  But no player, aside from PM and maybe Kelce, is worth wrecking the team and it's salary structure for.  I desperately hope Jones signs a reasonable contract, but won't give up on the season if he doesn't.  

17 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Do you think the Chiefs will trade Sneed if they can't sign Jones before the 13th?  I believe they're in position to keep one of them.  They have a replacement for Sneed (Nazeeh Johnson?) but not Jones and CJ has the most impact when he's on top of his game.  But no player, aside from PM and maybe Kelce, is worth wrecking the team and it's salary structure for.  I desperately hope Jones signs a reasonable contract, but won't give up on the season if he doesn't.  

If he doesn't sign, we will get a good(hopefully) comp pick back. Then go hard after Wilkins and a FA WR or OT too. Take the rest and resign a couple of our own still left before the draft.

33 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I firmly believe that is the plan, if CJ decides to get bank the Sneed gets his $19M

If Jones does not sign a contract,  KC will be flush with Cap Money to spend.  You can not replace Chris Jones with one player....but you can upgrade another DL position and sign a serviceable replacement for Jones.  Will that be the best outcome...No...but it is a possibility.

If any team comes up with a 2nd Rd Pick or better, Sneed is a goner.  There are now plenty of solid corners on the market for far less than Sneed's cap hit. 

w

36 minutes ago, West said:

If any team comes up with a 2nd Rd Pick or better, Sneed is a goner.  There are now plenty of solid corners on the market for far less than Sneed's cap hit. 

w

Zero game changers.  Top 10 remaining all around 30.  

39 minutes ago, West said:

There are now plenty of solid corners on the market for far less than Sneed's cap hit. 

w

Not so sure.  The Bears set a new standard for CBs and Sneed is better.  Not sure who else is on the market that is comparable.  There's tons of safeties, but the CB market is thin.  Fortunately, the Chiefs have a pretty deep CB group even without Sneed.  

1 hour ago, West said:

If Jones does not sign a contract,  KC will be flush with Cap Money to spend.  You can not replace Chris Jones with one player....but you can upgrade another DL position and sign a serviceable replacement for Jones.  Will that be the best outcome...No...but it is a possibility.

w

If Jones doesn't sign, I think keeping Sneed and say signing Wilkins at around 22 to 24 mil per year would help us with the loss of Jones. Then you still can restructure Mahomes and others to resign a couple more of our own and even an OT or WR as both are deep in the draft too.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I firmly believe that is the plan, if CJ decides to get bank the Sneed gets his $19M

I’m not so sure if CJ is gone that Sneed stays.   I think Sneed staying or going is going to be determined by the deal they get for him rather than what CJ does.  Lions have been one of a few teams interested and if it becomes a bidding war for Sneed and Det offers pick #29  and a lower round pick then I think Sneed is gone regardless of what CJ does.  

3 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

I’m not so sure if CJ is gone that Sneed stays.   I think Sneed staying or going is going to be determined by the deal they get for him rather than what CJ does.  Lions have been one of a few teams interested and if it becomes a bidding war for Sneed and Det offers pick #29  and a lower round pick then I think Sneed is gone regardless of what CJ does.  

Well yeah, that is a great trade for us with Detroit. We do have the ability to absorb the loss for this amount. Jones goes we will need Wilkins imo. Paying lower would save us even more cap space, have more cap with trade of Sneed and then hit FA hard with more draft picks to come. 

Isn't it great that Veach can nab DBs for a song, develop them to a high level, and after four years let them go for maybe a high pick?  I think that's a result of having Merritt on the staff.  It's also why the Chiefs can let a Ward or Sneed walk and still have a top secondary.  They seemed to like Nazeeh Johnson a lot and he may play the slot and McDuffy replace Sneed.  Just wish McDuffy could grab a few INTs to add to his impressive resume.