Chris Jones signs $95 mil

Big time deal for CJ95.  Curious what kind of signing bonus Clark will write to lower that cap hit this year?  Hoping for north of 30 million considering he has to escrow the 95 (I believe) which would get this years cap down.  

19 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39697463/chiefs-dt-chris-jones-agree-five-year-95-million-deal

95 million is guaranteed in the first 3 years. I cant wait to see the breakdown and what years are voidable. 

Sounds like it will end up being a 3 year deal kinda like AD'S.  I would bet the last 2 are just for proration.  

2 minutes ago, xen said:

Sounds like it will end up being a 3 year deal kinda like AD'S.  I would bet the last 2 are just for proration.  

Yeah I figured that too. Now to see how it works out leaving us cap space this year to sign a WR or OT. Hell maybe Veech goes and gets Wilkins too lol. Still a guy like Fant at TE and Brown at WR, those two wold inproce us a little for offense. Maybe we still have enough for Ridley and drafted WR? OT then or do they believe in Morris? Going to be fun to see how this all shakes out.

37 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

So is the actual contract the 95M which is guaranteed? if so then from what i am hearing we could still bring back Sneed for at least one season, but we still need to address WR and TE

Sneed is gone. He will get us more picks and we can use the cap in FA.  The wait and see how the contract is done will determine just what we have left. There is also the ability to create more cap too.

1 hour ago, KC Warpaint said:

So is the actual contract the 95M which is guaranteed? if so then from what i am hearing we could still bring back Sneed for at least one season, but we still need to address WR and TE

Remember, we got Kelce in the third round.  Wasn't Tyreek Hill in the 5th round?  I trust Veach to hit on at least half of his picks.  The top two rounds need to go for big guys up front on D and on O.  I think a good RB can be had in free agency.

Reading this article this is essentially a 3 year deal, which we all see. 95 guaranteed in the first 3 years will leave little cap penalties for year 4 and 5. Funny thing is the cap went up 30 million this year which essentially pays for Jones right there and leaving us what we had for cap in the first place.

Once Sneed is traded we gain back that cap and just have all the cap we did before minus Tranquill signing etc. Now throw in a restructure and Veach can be aggressive still in resigning/extending our own and in FA while loaded from the Sneed and our picks in the draft. Man Veach is great.

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/news/chris-jones-contract-analysis-whats-real-in-massive-kc-chiefs-deal#:~:text=Chris Jones's new contract with,of Jones's defensive tackle peers.

7 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Reading this article this is essentially a 3 year deal, which we all see. 95 guaranteed in the first 3 years will leave little cap penalties for year 4 and 5. Funny thing is the cap went up 30 million this year which essentially pays for Jones right there and leaving us what we had for cap in the first place.

Once Sneed is traded we gain back that cap and just have all the cap we did before minus Tranquill signing etc. Now throw in a restructure and Veach can be aggressive still in resigning/extending our own and in FA while loaded from the Sneed and our picks in the draft. Man Veach is great.

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/news/chris-jones-contract-analysis-whats-real-in-massive-kc-chiefs-deal#:~:text=Chris Jones's new contract with,of Jones's defensive tackle peers.

Great points! 
I want to see Allgretti back and Danna. 
we also need to find a stud TE. One that can learn from kelce. Gray isn’t that guy. 

28 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Remember, we got Kelce in the third round.  Wasn't Tyreek Hill in the 5th round?  I trust Veach to hit on at least half of his picks.  The top two rounds need to go for big guys up front on D and on O.  I think a good RB can be had in free agency.

One of those top picks needs to be used for a WR.  We can debate which one, but I think the need for restocking the WR room is generally accepted.  There are some interesting DL and TE later in the draft. The thing about Jones is that any replacement would be a huge drop off.  Sneed will be missed, but his replacement won't wreck the defense.  If Veach can manage the cap for the future after paying Jones, more credit to him.  

11 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

Great points! 
I want to see Allgretti back and Danna. 
we also need to find a stud TE. One that can learn from kelce. Gray isn’t that guy. 

Noah Fant

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

One of those top picks needs to be used for a WR.  We can debate which one, but I think the need for restocking the WR room is generally accepted.  There are some interesting DL and TE later in the draft. The thing about Jones is that any replacement would be a huge drop off.  Sneed will be missed, but his replacement won't wreck the defense.  If Veach can manage the cap for the future after paying Jones, more credit to him.  

I think we can find a top flight WR in free agency on a one-year rental and pick two prospects in the second to later rounds and try to develop them. If we hit on even one, we may be fine. Maybe we can get another 2nd round pick in a Sneed deal.

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

So is Fant less than was advertised before he was drafted or has he been in bad situations?  

Bad situations. He was behind bad QBs in Denver who was horrible on offense. Traded to Seattle behind Metcalf, Lockett and Njigba. He made due with the limited targets though. He is 6'4" 250 pounds and ran a 4.5 40. He comes from Iowa where they teach the right stuff. I think at 26 we could have him behind Kelce and start taking the reigns after next year's season.

I do think having him also learn to be more aggressive and having leaders like our guys and Reid could bring out the better in him. As well as more of a pass catching TE offense, I could see him excel with his athleticism. Something like the younger Kelce needed back in the day.

I don’t mind Fant. I would like the chiefs to draft one but I’m not up to speed on the TE after bowers. 
we have Remingo coming back for Wr and johnson for CB so that’s good. Marsette that we traded to Carolina is available as well. Not to say we shouldn’t draft one. I’d really like a FA wr that defenses have to respect. Not sure we will have the $ for that though. 
need that LT and get Allgretti back. 

His representatives, Katz Brothers Sports, announced Jones agreed to a record contract to make him the NFL’s highest-paid defensive tackle; they did not specify the financial details. Jones wrote on social media he would have “5 more years of greatness!” with the Chiefs. The agreement, once it’s finalized, is expected to pay Jones approximately $160 million over five seasons and will include about $95 million in guaranteed money, according to a person familiar with the pending terms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/03/09/chris-jones-returns-chiefs/

Well I hope the last year or 2 is cutable to say the least.