Chris Jones signs $95 mil

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

His representatives, Katz Brothers Sports, announced Jones agreed to a record contract to make him the NFL’s highest-paid defensive tackle; they did not specify the financial details. Jones wrote on social media he would have “5 more years of greatness!” with the Chiefs. The agreement, once it’s finalized, is expected to pay Jones approximately $160 million over five seasons and will include about $95 million in guaranteed money, according to a person familiar with the pending terms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/03/09/chris-jones-returns-chiefs/

Well I hope the last year or 2 is cutable to say the least.

If it's not guaranteed it's funny money.  Bottom line.  Until we see the structure the rest is just hype from the agents.

Four weeks after winning his third Super Bowl, Chiefs defensive tackle Chiefs Jones has gotten his third contract. And it’s a big one.

Jones becomes the highest-paid defensive tackle in the league, with a new five-year, $158.75 million deal. The average of $31.75 million surpasses the $31.67 million average from the three-year, $95 million contract signed by Rams defensive tackle in 2022.

Here are the details of the deal, per a source with knowledge of the situation:

1. Signing bonus: $30 million. ($18 million is due by April 5, 2024; $12 million is due by April 5, 2025.)

2. 2024 base salary: $1.25 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2024 offseason workout bonus: $100,000.

4. 2025 roster bonus: $15 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

5. 2025 base salary: $13.75 million, fully guaranteed.

6. 2025 offseason workout bonus: $100,000.

7. 2026 roster bonus: $16 million, guaranteed for injury at signing, and fully guaranteed as of the third day of the 2025 league year.

8. 2026 base salary: $19 million, guaranteed for injury at signing, and fully guaranteed as of the third day of the 2025 league year.

9. 2026 offseason workout bonus: $100,000.

10. 2027 base salary: $28.25 million, $3 million of which becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2027 league year.

11. 2027 offseason workout bonus: $100,000.

12. 2028 base salary: $35 million, $3 million of which becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2028 league year.

13. 2028 offseason workout bonus: $100,000.

It’s a three-year deal with a practical guarantee of $95.3 million, inching out Donald’s three-year, $95 million haul. (The offseason workout bonuses of $100,000 made the difference.)

Although three years aren’t fully guaranteed at signing, the Chiefs would have to cut him after one year to avoid the $95 million obligation. If they do, they would owe him $60.2 million for one year.

The Chiefs have an option on the final two years. It remains to be seen whether the Chiefs will pay him $28.5 million in 2027, when he’s 32. Then, at 33, the salary becomes $33.5 million.

Under new 5-year deal, Chris Jones will have a 2024 cap hit of just $7.4 million

This is huge! Sneed cap goes away with trade and Veach can create even more with restructure. We will be a player in FA.

if the Chiefs choose to release Jones after the 2026 season, they will be on the hook for just $6 million in pro-rated signing bonus for both 2027 and 2028. That would give the team just $12 million in cap obligations for two contract years that were originally set to pay Jones another $63.5 million.

16 hours ago, kkuenn said:

7.4 million cap hit lol....Veach is the master.

The GMs must be banking on the cap increasing a lot over the next couple of years.  The way they're handing out contracts, they'll all be in the same boat as BUFF and NO down the road.  My favorite is Cousins.  The guy is good, I'll admit, but one playoff win in nine years earns Mahomes/Allen type money?  Lunacy.  

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

The GMs must be banking on the cap increasing a lot over the next couple of years.  The way they're handing out contracts, they'll all be in the same boat as BUFF and NO down the road.  My favorite is Cousins.  The guy is good, I'll admit, but one playoff win in nine years earns Mahomes/Allen type money?  Lunacy.  

Kirk Cousins has played the FA game better than any player in history.  

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I think he will resign Creed and such next year for minimal hits in the first year. You can keep backloading if you space it out right. Veach is doing a great job on knowing who to sign and when to do it. 

On 3/10/2024 at 10:41 PM, kkuenn said:

7.4 million cap hit lol....Veach is the master.

Agreed. And an out after 3 years with just a 12 mill hit. Good deal for both sides. The dude is irreplaceable.

On 3/11/2024 at 3:26 PM, kkuenn said:

I think he will resign Creed and such next year for minimal hits in the first year. You can keep backloading if you space it out right. Veach is doing a great job on knowing who to sign and when to do it. 

I kind of think Creed walks. I know, but there was a time when we couldn’t let Hudson walk. Then we couldn’t let Morse walk. I don’t think this team overpays Centers. And even though his blocking is damn good, his snapping sucks. Pat is digging them out of the dirt all the time. I could be wrong, but I think we draft another one when the time comes. 

2 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I kind of think Creed walks. I know, but there was a time when we couldn’t let Hudson walk. Then we couldn’t let Morse walk. I don’t think this team overpays Centers. And even though his blocking is damn good, his snapping sucks. Pat is digging them out of the dirt all the time. I could be wrong, but I think we draft another one when the time comes. 

I don't think so.  Morse was released after a major foot injury that would have kept him out for a long time.

When Hudson was lost to FA, Dorsey was GM, and the Chiefs were stingy and stupid. I think Humphrey is a foundational player and anchor of the O-line.  I haven't heard of any such thoughts other than some complaints about his low snaps.  He is a phenomenal puller in the running game and a crucial part of pass protection.

Centers aren't breaking the bank this off season.  Funny how it seems OGs are.  It makes the Thuney contract seem more reasonable.  This would be a good time to extend Creed while the market is down.  I think T. Smith may be lost since Bolton will also be up for contract. 

Thank you all for providing the info. I've never understood in detail about these contracts. I'm just glad CJ is staying, and I hope he plays at the same level in some of these years. I would say he was worth it from his previous contract. I didn't think this was going to get done.