3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

what was he asking?..he wasn't even in the top 10 in punter Salary at $2.6M but he certainly was IMO a top 5 punter and now getting paid like one

https://overthecap.com/position/punter

He'd announced that he expected to be paid as the highest salaried punter in the NFL, something over $3.6 million/yr.  Don't know if he really expected that or if it was agent talk.  It makes sense to pay for a clutch kicker, but punters only get noticed when the shank one or get the bounce to down it inside the five.  Townsend was good, but I don't see him as a game changer.  Just hope the new guy is a reliable holder.  

22 minutes ago, jetlord said:

He'd announced that he expected to be paid as the highest salaried punter in the NFL, something over $3.6 million/yr.  Don't know if he really expected that or if it was agent talk.  It makes sense to pay for a clutch kicker, but punters only get noticed when the shank one or get the bounce to down it inside the five.  Townsend was good, but I don't see him as a game changer.  Just hope the new guy is a reliable holder.  

being that he got a raise and is now being paid top 5.. I'd wager it was agent speak and there's nothing wrong with that

3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Serious question.  If one of us was the Chiefs punter, how many additional games would we lose?  I'm guessing 1 or 2 a year.  

True, but the difference between the #5 punter and the #15 punter, for example, is probably less than a game.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Always wondered why the punter needs to be the kick holder.  Couldn't the back up QB do the job or anyone else for that matter?  

I think it makes more efficient practices if the backup qb stays with the offense and the special teams do their own thing.  

20 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I think it makes more efficient practices if the backup qb stays with the offense and the special teams do their own thing.  

kinda no brainer

26 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Sure, that's more efficient, but if the punter can hit it 60 yards but can't bring down the high snap in a smooth instant, wouldn't it make sense to have another ball handler do the job?  Hope it's not an issue with the new guy. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Sure, that's more efficient, but if the punter can hit it 60 yards but can't bring down the high snap in a smooth instant, wouldn't it make sense to have another ball handler do the job?  Hope it's not an issue with the new guy. 

They are professional athletes. I think the expectation is they have 2 Jobs and can figure it out