Looks like we looking for another WR after Rice goes full blown moron!

57 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I'm fine with super hard punishment if they are consistent with it.  

That's the point, they haven't for much worse or the same situation.  They will do so now though. Reminds me of the Maclin tampering and we got hosed for it.

4 hours ago, Nadlers Quivering Balls said:

He's an idiot, but 12 games seems excessive. 

I don't think so.  Injury hit and run.  Racing at 120 mph in the city risking multiple lives.  He is lucky he doesn't have negligent manslaughter on his record.  I think he is very lucky to get only part of a season. I've expressed this before. Other than a little luck that nobody died and that the drug on board was not alcohol, it is no different than Andy Reid's son, except Reid wasn't racing on purpose.  He was plastered.   And he went to prison.  No, 12 games is light.  He is not going to be able to come back and practice up enough to be a contributor the last 5 games or the playoffs.  Maybe a play or two?  Hopefully he will grow up from this, come back the next season and become a star. Despite what it sounds like, I am pulling for the kid.

• 1 month later...
🚨REPORT: With the season less than a month away, #Chiefs star WR Rashee RICE WILL NOT LIKELY BE SUSPENDED.
The #Nfl has not yet spoken to or met with rice about his eight pending felony charges from his street-racing incident this offseason, per NBC.

6 minutes ago, Nadlers Quivering Balls said:

Wow. 

Maybe we dodged a bullet with that one. But, I can’t see the NFL just letting it go with no suspension. 

Florio was mentioning something about any suspension may be delayed till next year..sounds insane to me but 

10 minutes ago, Nadlers Quivering Balls said:

Wow. 

Maybe we dodged a bullet with that one. But, I can’t see the NFL just letting it go with no suspension. 

We didn't dodge anything.  The NFL has a rule to never issue a ruling on a suspension until any legal proceedings have been completed.  Rice's case is way down the line in the courts.  I wouldn't be surprised if he got a long suspension next year. It is in the "court's court" right now.

Bil has it right.  Goodell has a history to waiting until the criminal courts have done their thing before issuing any NFL penalties.  Rice is just as exposed to a suspension as ever but it most likely will be at the beginning of next season.  His court date is now scheduled for Dec. of this year but most likely will be postponed until after the season.  So the Chiefs will still lose him for a time, just not likely to be this season.  

On 8/14/2024 at 9:04 AM, oldtimer said:

Florio was mentioning something about any suspension may be delayed till next year..sounds insane to me but 

The NFL can't do anything until the courts decide. If it takes the system a year, then it'll take the NFL a year.

2 hours ago, mex said:

The NFL can't do anything until the courts decide. If it takes the system a year, then it'll take the NFL a year.

It makes sense.  If  a team suspended or the league suspended a player who was found not guilty of a crime in courts, it seems that player could sue successfuly, right?  We have released guys quickly like  Kareem Hunt in the past, but it was for lying to the organization.  Leaving the scene of an accident, though, seems like it shouldn't have to be proven in court, but what do I know.

I mean, we all know the league isn't concerned about justice... they're concerned about ratings and perception. If they punish hi too harshly, people will hate them. If they go too light... people will hate them. Better to wait until it plays out then do what would naturally follow any punishment from the courts.

• 2 weeks later...

28 minutes ago, xen said:

In seven days, the Chiefs host the Ravens to start the 2024 regular season. Kansas City receiver Rashee Rice most likely will be playing.

Rice faces eight felony charges arising from a March street-racing incident in Dallas.

On a media conference call to preview the upcoming season, the NFL reiterated it is monitoring Rice’s case. “Following the conclusion of the legal process, the NFL will review the matter under the Personal Conduct Policy,” the league told PFT via email on August 13.

The league had not yet commented directly on whether Rice will be placed on paid leave. For felony cases, it’s an available option. However, the league typically only uses it in cases involving domestic violence.

In response to the specific question of whether Rice will be placed on paid leave between now and Week 1, the NFL initially did not provide a clear answer. Later, the league said it does not anticipate placing Rice on the Commissioner Exempt list, “unless there’s a material change in the case.”

Given that very little seems to be happening in the case, a material change is unlikely within the next week. Which means that Rice will be available to play week after week, unless and until a material change happens — or until the case is resolved and the league conducts a review under the Personal Conduct Policy.

I have a question, I know that this is not a civil case, but if a plea or settlement is reached in season and that is less than what could happen in June, the NFL would review it at that time (lets guess December) and he could possibly be gone for the playoffs. So his decision would either be to not make any pleas or to wait until after the Super Bowl to do so. Of course, if they give him something really small, for his life, he should probably take it, but that will just make it more likely that he’s gone for the Chiefs for a while.

1 hour ago, KCSLC2008 said:

I have a question, I know that this is not a civil case, but if a plea or settlement is reached in season and that is less than what could happen, let’s say in June, the NFL would review it at that time and he could possibly be gone for the playoffs. So his decision would either be to not make any pleas or to wait until after the Super Bowl to do so. Of course, if they give him something really small, for his life, he should probably take it, but that will just make it more likely that he’s gone for the Chiefs for a while.

I am not any kind of knowledeable expert, but what I recall, the NFL would announce a suspension to begin at the start of the next year's regular season to allow for team planning.