Sales Tax Extension Pulse.....

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Very simple solution.  Just come back next year with a proposal that leaves the Royals right where they are.  Upgrade the stadia to today's standards for less than half the cost.  As for the tax extension, people are sick of hearing that something can be done "with no tax increase".  Stop taking voters for fools.  They know the money is coming out of their pockets one way or the other.  One thing I would bet OT's farm on is that every time they ask the voters to build a stadium downtown, it will fail, at least in my lifetime.  

I’d rather see the K stay, but it’s not happening. Sherman will get a new stadium, it’s just a matter of where. 

Also, the chiefs want the royals out. There’s no chiefs proposal with a standing K. I’d wager that most of us want the same things, but it’s just not reality.  Voting down the downtown stadium doesn’t mean the royals are suddenly gonna be like “ok we’ll just stay at the K for another twenty years”. If anything, it opened Pandora’s box with the chiefs. 

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

Link?  We voted in Lee's Summit and one guy there was wearing Chiefs insignia.  A voter, not a poll worker.  

I heard it on the Columbia News so there ya have it..THEY SUCK! but after a quick and easy google search it seems as if the Pole Workers where in the wrong and the issue fixed.  Evidently they misunderstood that the Pole Workers themselves where not allowed to wear the swag

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/stadium-plan/voters-allegedly-turned-away-from-voting-after-wearing-royals-chiefs-gear

https://www.kctv5.com/2024/04/02/several-kansas-city-voters-wearing-team-logos-turned-away-polls/

https://www.komu.com/news/state/voters-reject-stadium-tax-for-royals-and-chiefs-leaving-future-in-kc-in-question/article_168c56ff-e263-537f-96af-bcaae89cfff1.html

Voters reject stadium tax for Royals and Chiefs, leaving future in KC in question

The future of the Royals and Chiefs in Kansas City was thrown into question when residents of Jackson County, Missouri, voted against a sales tax to help to pay for a new downtown ballpark and renovations to Arrowhead Stadium

Royals owner John Sherman and Chiefs president Mark Donovan acknowledged long before the final tally that the initiative would fail. More than 58% of voters ultimately rejected the plan, which would have replaced an existing three-eighths of a cent sales tax that has been paying for the upkeep of Truman Sports Complex — the home for more than 50 years to Kauffman and Arrowhead Stadiums — with a similar tax that would have been in place for the next 40 years.

The Royals, who had pledged at least $1 billion from ownership for their project, wanted to use their share of the tax revenue to help fund a $2 billion-plus ballpark district. The Super Bowl champion Chiefs, who had committed $300 million in private money, would have used their share as part of an $800 million overhaul of Arrowhead Stadium.

19 hours ago, moons314 said:

The downtown stadium is a joke. The Midwest doesn’t have public transportation, and even if we did, we’re modwesterners, we’re not using it, we’re driving ourselves to the game. I went to opening day at the K, and I’ll go to more games, but once they move downtown, I’ll go once to see it and that’s it.  Lack of parking and traffic will be a nightmare.  Even tho I’m also a royals fan, in the grand scheme of things, I don’t much give a shit about them and baseball in general.  Keeping the chiefs at arrowhead is the only thing I care about, and that’s for selfish reasons.  Being on the same ballot as the chiefs is the only reason this has a chance to pass.  If the royals were the lone team on the ballot, I’d wager the vote would be 80/20 in favor of no. We’re all here hoping the chiefs drag the shitty royals across the finish line bc we know that movement by the chiefs prices most of us out of games.  

i listened to Local sports talk yesterday on my way home from work and they said KC area fans are so hung up on Parking. they listed stadiums that have been built in downtown areas that are thriving. Baltimore, DC, Pittsburgh, Denver etc etc. They all found a way to make it work. now the one thing KC does not have is a Rail system that could absorb some of the traffic to relieve congestion so that is something that needs consideration.  One of the things i hate the most about KC and their thinking is so many people are set against change or anything that takes them out of their comfort zone. They did not want a new airport and liked the Old KCI but voters finally relented and the new airport is beautiful and thriving, i love the stadiums and have a lot of fond memories of going to Royals and Chiefs games with my father when i was younger and i still think royals stadium is one of best and always wonder how the red sox and cubs make it work in much older ballparks.  The Chiefs want to upgrade Arrowhead and get some of the financial pie that other teams enjoy with their fancy box seats and clubs that would not be created for any of us here.

I don't see the KC voters as being against change.  They are against change that makes things worse.  This whole vote hinged on moving the Royals downtown and people just didn't want that including the people within the KC city limits.  Add in the fact that no one could give straight answers as to where the new location would be, at least until forced to at the last second, and the ballot wording which left great latitude for the politicians to screw it up, and the "no" vote was assured.  Why is Royal ownership so opposed to the present location?  Never got a solid answer to that but with the Chiefs on a high and the baseball team in the dumpers, they may feel like they're second fiddle where they are.  No complaints when they were setting attendance records in 2015.  So the stadia are old and need upgrading.  Voters will vote to do that, especially with the popularity of the Chiefs right now.  What's needed is a separate vote on moving the Royals downtown, which will fail big time, and a vote on upgrading Arrowhead.  What's not needed is manipulation by corrupt politicians and threats from team owners if they don't get taxpayers to buy all their toys.  

15 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I don't see the KC voters as being against change.  They are against change that makes things worse.  This whole vote hinged on moving the Royals downtown and people just didn't want that including the people within the KC city limits.  Add in the fact that no one could give straight answers as to where the new location would be, at least until forced to at the last second, and the ballot wording which left great latitude for the politicians to screw it up, and the "no" vote was assured.  Why is Royal ownership so opposed to the present location?  Never got a solid answer to that but with the Chiefs on a high and the baseball team in the dumpers, they may feel like they're second fiddle where they are.  No complaints when they were setting attendance records in 2015.  So the stadia are old and need upgrading.  Voters will vote to do that, especially with the popularity of the Chiefs right now.  What's needed is a separate vote on moving the Royals downtown, which will fail big time, and a vote on upgrading Arrowhead.  What's not needed is manipulation by corrupt politicians and threats from team owners if they don't get taxpayers to buy all their toys.  

Yes, they were not very transparent on the whole thing. As i said i think the baseball stadium looks great but they say the concrete is flawed while Arrowhead is fine. More info is needed before they move forward again.

25 minutes ago, jetlord said:

agreed and lets not forget that Jackson County property assessment just sky rocketed and people are still pissed about that.> i used to work for Jack Ctny Assessment in a previous life and helped several people get their assessments lowered. It shocked me how much they where over assessed .  Times are tough and people are not in the mood

7 hours ago, oldtimer said:

agreed and lets not forget that Jackson County property assessment just sky rocketed and people are still pissed about that.> i used to work for Jack Ctny Assessment in a previous life and helped several people get their assessments lowered. It shocked me how much they where over assessed .  Times are tough and people are not in the mood

Government at its finest. My rural county in Kansas did the same thing to us, they “changed” the appraisal equation. The result?  Your property appraisal skyrockets, which means property taxes do the same.  Their response? The mill levy hasn’t changed so we didn’t raise your property taxes.  Bullshit.  Mine have doubled in 2 years. So I feel for the Jackson county residents on that front. 

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

Yeah I don't think they're making threats.  You gotta pay to play cause other cities will offer a lot more.  

Personally I could care less.  I don't live there.  Not a Royals fan and as long as the Chiefs are withing driving distance I'm fine.  

Frankly I've spent a shit ton of money in KC MO, and the only reason is cause the Chiefs are there.

KCK and believe it or not Dallas are already circling.  Both within driving distance so I'm good.  

Kansas lawmakers already working on a proposal.  Here's the governor from 2 years ago as well.

So would Kansas pony up the $billion that it would take to move the Chiefs there?  And I doubt Jerry Jones wants them in Texas.  I'll still contend that if they can separate the Royals moving downtown, the Chiefs can get the public funding.  Still, the folks are not excited about being taxed so Hunt can take away seats they can afford and give them to wealthy warm weather fans.  

31 minutes ago, jetlord said:

So would Kansas pony up the $billion that it would take to move the Chiefs there?  And I doubt Jerry Jones wants them in Texas.  I'll still contend that if they can separate the Royals moving downtown, the Chiefs can get the public funding.  Still, the folks are not excited about being taxed so Hunt can take away seats they can afford and give them to wealthy warm weather fans.  

Yeah I think Kansas would in a heartbeat.  Not sure about Dallas.  Frankly I think that's a dumb idea.  Pretty sure San Antonio would though.  

9 hours ago, xen said:

Yeah I think Kansas would in a heartbeat.  Not sure about Dallas.  Frankly I think that's a dumb idea.  Pretty sure San Antonio would though.  

had to do some driving yesterday so listened to  810 am. The biggest gripes  it seemed where just a few things really. In regards to the Royals it was more of the lack of finalizing a location until the end and the wording allowed for some shady back room deals. For the Chiefs it was more that the renovations  did nothing for the common fan. The teams are going no where except maybe Wyandotte County. Maybe then Chiefs would get a roof and a SB.  The last minute threats rang hollow and is the go to for every team wanting $$$. I have no dog in this fight anymore and most likely will never go to another Chiefs game in my lifetime so what  they do really doesn't matter to me. I dont even acknowledge Baseball so Royals ..meh. San Antonio has always been the threat and to my knowledge never have even put out a proposal.

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

you bet your ass they would

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

had to do some driving yesterday so listened to  810 am. The biggest gripes  it seemed where just a few things really. In regards to the Royals it was more of the lack of finalizing a location until the end and the wording allowed for some shady back room deals. For the Chiefs it was more that the renovations  did nothing for the common fan. The teams are going no where except maybe Wyandotte County. Maybe then Chiefs would get a roof and a SB.  The last minute threats rang hollow and is the go to for every team wanting $$$. I have no dog in this fight anymore and most likely will never go to another Chiefs game in my lifetime so what  they do really doesn't matter to me. I dont even acknowledge Baseball so Royals ..meh. San Antonio has always been the threat and to my knowledge never have even put out a proposal.

SA is a fun town. Does the NFL though want 3 teams in the same state all within a few hours of each other?

I'd have no problem with the Chiefs moving to the Kansas side although Arrowhead is convenient to where we live now.  But there will never be another Arrowhead.  A new stadium will have more luxury clubs and seating, fewer affordable seats for the average fan, and a quieter atmosphere.  Teams make their money off TV and high priced amenities, not upper deck tickets.  It's easier for a team to sell 50,000 tickets at $150+ than handle a crowd of 75,000 at $100.  As long as the stadium is filled, corporate and high roller dollars flow in, and the TV audience expands, there's no reason to build another Arrowhead.  Clark may have some sentimentality toward his dad's creation, but it's a business and he'll go the way the money leads him.  Not blaming him for that, but just stating a fact.  

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

SA is a fun town. Does the NFL though want 3 teams in the same state all within a few hours of each other?

Stationed at Frt Sam twice.. always had fun there

7 hours ago, Boone said:

Seems to work in Florida...

Yeah and in California too. Thing is there, most teams are farther distance away from each other.  Jax to Miami is 5 to 6 hours. LA to SF is even further.  New York has a big population when they were put there so Buffalo was no big deal and makes a market for the area.

SA, Dallas and Houston are all within 3 hours of each other. I don't think they would want to saturate that much in the areas. You could find another populated city of 1 plus million.

KC still makes sense because there is no other professional football teams until about 7.5 to 8 hours away. Teams closest to us are Denver, Dallas, Chicago and Minnesota.  Just playing devil's advocate here, but that would be a huge void in the nfl map if KC moved to SA.

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Yeah and in California too. Thing is there, most teams are farther distance away from each other.  Jax to Miami is 5 to 6 hours. LA to SF is even further.  New York has a big population when they were put there so Buffalo wws no big deal and makes a market for the area.

SA, Dallas and Houston are all within 3 hours of each other. I don't think they would want to saturate that much in the areas. You could find another populated city of 1 plus million.

KC still makes sense because there is no other professional football teams until about 7.5 to 8 hours away. Teams closest to us are Denver, Dallas, Chicago and Minnesota AND  TENN.  Just playing devil's advocate here, but that would be a huge void in the nfl map if KC moved to SA.

FIFY but agree

• 4 weeks later...