Semo Mock 4/6

SEMO

1 - Xavier Worthy WR Texas  

Hopefully, he is more DeSean Jackson than John Ross.  But, for now, he looks to be what AR covets at the receiver position.

2 - Patrick Paul OT Houston

3 - Christian Mahogany OG Boston College

4 - Anthony Gould WR Oregon State

5 - Khristian Boyd DE/DT Northern Iowa

5 - Ro Torrence CB Arizona State

7 - Rasheen Ali RB Marshall

Not bad on the rest now that I read it.  Top 3 picks are gold.  Gould maybe a little high as I kinds think he may just be ST.  Not sure on him.  Boyd seems like a decent DT prospect at that point.

BTW he's 10x the receiver that John Ross ever was.  A lot of subtlety to his route running that guys like Mecole never seem to get.  I like the Jackson comparison as a guy that can win inside and out.  I also like that he comes ready made to beat press, which has been a big problem for us post tyreek.  Need to get better vs zone but that comes with experience.

13 minutes ago, xen said:

BTW he's 10x the receiver that John Ross ever was.  A lot of subtlety to his route running that guys like Mecole never seem to get.  I like the Jackson comparison as a guy that can win inside and out.  I also like that he comes ready made to beat press, which has been a big problem for us post tyreek.  Need to get better vs zone but that comes with experience.

Yeah, the ross reference was more satire than reality, because of the 40 record.  Speed is all Ross had.  

17 minutes ago, xen said:

Not bad on the rest now that I read it.  Top 3 picks are gold.  Gould maybe a little high as I kinds think he may just be ST.  Not sure on him.  Boyd seems like a decent DT prospect at that point.

I like Malik Washington better for that mold of receiver.  He will be gone on day 2.  But, I disagree on Gould.  He needs development in route running, but he has great hands.  He is also gritty as hell.  Give him a year to work on route running and he could be more than a returner by year 2.

6 minutes ago, SEMO said:

I like Malik Washington better for that mold of receiver.  He will be gone on day 2.  But, I disagree on Gould.  He needs development in route running, but he has great hands.  He is also gritty as hell.  Give him a year to work on route running and he could be more than a returner by year 2.

Could be.  Don't you think though that there's too much overlap with Worthy and Hollywood as far as skillset.  I do love that all 3 have made their bones as small receivers on the outside rather than just slot only like a lot of those smaller receivers.

A guy like Johnny Wilson might be in that range as well, considering the depth of this class and he is really intriguing to me as bringing something different.  Tons of untapped potential with this dude too imo.  Would be an absolute nightmare in the RZ as he learns to play. 

Has vacuum cleaners for hands but we should be fine there since we didn't resign willie gay.

If he doesn't work out feed him some sammiches and convert to tight end.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Could be.  Don't you think though that there's too much overlap with Worthy and Hollywood as far as skillset.  I do love that all 3 have made their bones as small receivers on the outside rather than just slot only like a lot of those smaller receivers.

A guy like Johnny Wilson might be in that range as well, considering the depth of this class and he is really intriguing to me as bringing something different.  Tons of untapped potential with this dude too imo.  Would be an absolute nightmare in the RZ as he learns to play. 

Has vacuum cleaners for hands but we should be fine there since we didn't resign willie gay.

WR seem to take most of their rookie year to understand Reids system. If he is a Hollywood type overlap, that is fine imo. Brown most likely will be gone next year for a big pay day and we get Worthy then in his place on a rookie deal.

4 hours ago, kkuenn said:

WR seem to take most of their rookie year to understand Reids system. If he is a Hollywood type overlap, that is fine imo. Brown most likely will be gone next year for a big pay day and we get Worthy then in his place on a rookie deal.

Yeah that's great but I was talking about about Gould not Worthy

5 hours ago, xen said:

Hollywood is a one year rental.  There would be overlap this year.  Gould might not develop, but Worthy could bust.  You never know.  But, speed is hard to defend and small guys with speed tend to get lost in the noise, by the defense.  Having a couple is a good thing.

Rice and TK are our big possession guys.  And really are option 1 and 2 on most pass plays anyway.  

Imagine returning to a high flying offense with this defense.  We would be unbeatable and despised even more.

9 minutes ago, xen said:

Yeah that's great but I was talking about about Gould not Worthy

I was talking about your first part stating Hollywood and Worthy being an overlap 

10 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I was talking about your first part stating Hollywood and Worthy being an overlap 

Reread that.  I was referring to Gould overlapping the other 2.  I've already stated several places Worthy is my oreferred choice at receiver.

16 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Hollywood is a one year rental.  There would be overlap this year.  Gould might not develop, but Worthy could bust.  You never know.  But, speed is hard to defend and small guys with speed tend to get lost in the noise, by the defense.  Having a couple is a good thing.

Rice and TK are our big possession guys.  And really are option 1 and 2 on most pass plays anyway.  

Imagine returning to a high flying offense with this defense.  We would be unbeatable and despised even more.

I guess I just don't see Gould becoming a game changer.  He's not on the same speed level as worthy amd I think nfl corners will knock him off his routes.

To me I think they need to get another big receiver somewhere in this draft to start training him up to prep for kelce eventually retiring.  Either receiver or tight end.

2 hours ago, xen said:

I guess I just don't see Gould becoming a game changer.  He's not on the same speed level as worthy amd I think nfl corners will knock him off his routes.

To me I think they need to get another big receiver somewhere in this draft to start training him up to prep for kelce eventually retiring.  Either receiver or tight end.

I am not going to argue with any of that.  Legette is the one I covet.  Deebo clone.  But, I don’t see any interest from them (which means nothing).  Gould may just be a returner.  Who knows.  

13 hours ago, SEMO said:

1 - Xavier Worthy WR Texas  

Hopefully, he is more DeSean Jackson than John Ross.  But, for now, he looks to be what AR covets at the receiver position.

2 - Patrick Paul OT Houston

3 - Christian Mahogany OG Boston College

4 - Anthony Gould WR Oregon State

5 - Khristian Boyd DE/DT Northern Iowa

5 - Ro Torrence CB Arizona State

7 - Rasheen Ali RB Marshall

Going on the assumption that mock drafts are posted to be criticized and debated:

I like the first four picks and the positions of the other three, but I don't think Paul lasts until #64 so the Chiefs may need to trade up in round 2 to snag him.  Mahogany might last until mid fourth so some trading around might still get both.  In general, I'd prefer an OT in the first and WR after.  Getting that fifth year on a rookie contract would be gold if the OT becomes a long term starter at LT.  Still, I'd give your draft a B+ or better.  Really like Mahogany as a cheap replacement for T. Smith or Thuney next year.  

9 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Going on the assumption that mock drafts are posted to be criticized and debated:

I like the first four picks and the positions of the other three, but I don't think Paul lasts until #64 so the Chiefs may need to trade up in round 2 to snag him.  Mahogany might last until mid fourth so some trading around might still get both.  In general, I'd prefer an OT in the first and WR after.  Getting that fifth year on a rookie contract would be gold if the OT becomes a long term starter at LT.  Still, I'd give your draft a B+ or better.  Really like Mahogany as a cheap replacement for T. Smith or Thuney next year.  

By that logic, the top receivers make a lot more than the top tackles in AAV so you're better off getting the 5th year option on a receiver.

43 minutes ago, xen said:

By that logic, the top receivers make a lot more than the top tackles in AAV so you're better off getting the 5th year option on a receiver.

Didn't know that.  It seems that receivers are being traded around a lot more than LTs but guess that doesn't mean they're easier to replace.  Just wish there was some stability on the line. 

2 hours ago, xen said:

The franchise tag tenders are: quarterback ($38.301 million), running back ($11.951 million), receiver ($21.816 million), tight end ($12.693 million), offensive lineman ($20.985 million), defensive end ($21.324 million), defensive tackle ($22.102 million), linebacker ($24.007 million), cornerback ($19.802 million), safety ($17.123 million), and kicker/punter ($5.984 million).

Thing is this states all OL, not just LT for tag numbers. That takes the highest paid contracts though. So really the taking a WR over LT because of a higher AAV might not be true. They are pretty damn close. So maybe taking the BPA at those 2 positions would be the best bet either way 

10 hours ago, kkuenn said:

The franchise tag tenders are: quarterback ($38.301 million), running back ($11.951 million), receiver ($21.816 million), tight end ($12.693 million), offensive lineman ($20.985 million), defensive end ($21.324 million), defensive tackle ($22.102 million), linebacker ($24.007 million), cornerback ($19.802 million), safety ($17.123 million), and kicker/punter ($5.984 million).

Thing is this states all OL, not just LT for tag numbers. That takes the highest paid contracts though. So really the taking a WR over LT because of a higher AAV might not be true. They are pretty damn close. So maybe taking the BPA at those 2 positions would be the best bet either way 

That's why I didn't use franchise tag numbers cause it lumps in other offensive lineman.  Now go look at the top 10 AAV on tackles vs receivers and you'll see what I mean.

Top receivers over 30.  Top lineman around 25.

Of course a lot can change in 5 years so ymmv.

WR top 10 is 24.96 per aav as of now per over the cap. 

LT is 19.461 

This does not take into account contracts signed a while ago. Example a LT signed 4 years ago would be much less than worth today. Example would be Rudley signed this year pushing up the AAV but what big time LT was signed? 

I do believe the flaw in this instead of tag number used is the fact it doesn't take into account newest deals and the fact that would we get a top 10 WR or LT out of the pick we have at 32? 

Also take into account I night have fat fingered in my adding of top 10 by position in these but they do show a close average of it all.

Another consideration in the OT vs. WR debate is how deep the class is.  The drop off at OT from #32 to #64 may be steeper than at WR.  None of this is worth debating now since none of us know who will be available at #32 plus Veach will trade around to get his man.  At the moment, I'd love for the Chiefs to have #36 and #50 since the WRs in the late thirties seem to be near what is projected at #32 but the OTs drop quickly after Suamataia and Paul who may both be gone by #64.  Oh, well.  Just fun to play with. 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Another consideration in the OT vs. WR debate is how deep the class is.  The drop off at OT from #32 to #64 may be steeper than at WR.  None of this is worth debating now since none of us know who will be available at #32 plus Veach will trade around to get his man.  At the moment, I'd love for the Chiefs to have #36 and #50 since the WRs in the late thirties seem to be near what is projected at #32 but the OTs drop quickly after Suamataia and Paul who may both be gone by #64.  Oh, well.  Just fun to play with. 

I think there may be starting caliber tackles available in the 3rd.  

1 hour ago, xen said:

I think there may be starting caliber tackles available in the 3rd.  

Who, besides maybe the guy from Yale?  Hopefully, the Chiefs can get someone more ready than Wayna was last year.  Plan B would be to get one of the senile guys on the remaining FA list.  

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Who, besides maybe the guy from Yale?  Hopefully, the Chiefs can get someone more ready than Wayna was last year.  Plan B would be to get one of the senile guys on the remaining FA list.  

Kiran Amegadjie won't be there in the 3rd.

41 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Kiran Amegadjie won't be there in the 3rd.

He played at a low level and is coming off a season ending injury so teams couldn’t see him vs better competition.  He absolutely could be there.