Playoff talk

Is it too early to start looking ahead to possible playoff chances?  I think Denver is nearly a lock for the AFC West even if KC wins against them at home.  They are already past AZ, SEA, and SFO and don't have PIT on the schedule.  Indy is the only team out of the South and NE the only threat from the East.  That leaves the four teams in the North plus KC and possibly SAN to grab the last three spots.  What it boils down to is that KC absolutely has to win 10 games to have a reasonable chance to get in.  Losing to PIT would cut the chances and winning there really hurt the Steelers as a contender just like yesterday at the Bills.  My guess is that the Chiefs have to win both Raider games, SAN, and one of the remaining against DEN, AZ, SEA, or PIT.  Obviously, they could trip up against an underdog and might win more than one against the four tougher teams, but until the inevitable upsets occur, this is the way I think it play out.

Is it too early to start looking ahead to possible playoff chances?  I think Denver is nearly a lock for the AFC West even if KC wins against them at home.  They are already past AZ, SEA, and SFO and don't have PIT on the schedule.  Indy is the only team out of the South and NE the only threat from the East.  That leaves the four teams in the North plus KC and possibly SAN to grab the last three spots.  What it boils down to is that KC absolutely has to win 10 games to have a reasonable chance to get in.  Losing to PIT would cut the chances and winning there really hurt the Steelers as a contender just like yesterday at the Bills.  My guess is that the Chiefs have to win both Raider games, SAN, and one of the remaining against DEN, AZ, SEA, or PIT.  Obviously, they could trip up against an underdog and might win more than one against the four tougher teams, but until the inevitable upsets occur, this is the way I think it play out.

The win against the Bills was HUGE. 10-6 should get us in the playoffs. We basically have 2 game leads on the Dolphins and Bills right now, if we can beat the Steelers that would be another team we are basically 2 games up on because of the tiebreaker. 

After the 0-2 start I said we needed to beat either Patriots or 49ers, Dolphins, Bills, Rams, Jets, Oakland, Oakland, Chargers, Chargers at minimum(so far we are right on track.)(this is 9 wins)

Seahawks, Cardinals, Broncos, Steelers are all toss ups, if we can get 1 win out of these games we should be in the playoffs. 

A loss to the Seahawks isn't the end of the world, but a win would make it a lot easier down the stretch. 

The Chiefs don't need to think about the playoffs now. They just need to concentrate on the next game. I think Andy Reid will keep them focused. I see a whole lot of maturity on this team. This team won a game at Buffalo that they would have lost almost any other season. Sometimes you don't have your A game. It takes a great team to win those games anyway. 

If the Chiefs win each of their remaining games they will win the West, and have a bye. I don't anticipate it happening, but anything is possible if you just go to work each game day with a lunch pail attitude. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Chiefs don't need to think about the playoffs now. They just need to concentrate on the next game. I think Andy Reid will keep them focused. I see a whole lot of maturity on this team. This team won a game at Buffalo that they would have lost almost any other season. Sometimes you don't have your A game. It takes a great team to win those games anyway.

If the Chiefs win each of their remaining games they will win the West, and have a bye. I don't anticipate it happening, but anything is possible if you just go to work each game day with a lunch pail attitude.

You know what that means right?

The dreaded 13-3 season!!

From a purely academic standpoint, the prospects of winning the AFC West come down almost absolutely to winning tomorrow night's game in Oakland, and then taking all three AFC West home games. If the Chiefs can overcome the disadvantage of playing a trap game on short rest after a very physical opponent, they will come into their subsequent home game against the Broncos on long rest. Ironically, this game against a 0-10 Raiders team will likely set the tone for the rest of the season: A win by the Chiefs will give legitimacy to a 2014 squad that is 1-1 in 'the games that playoff teams are supposed to win' (vs. Titans, vs. Jets).

If the Chiefs beat the Broncos in week 13, the likelihood is that the Chiefs will need their advantage in the common games tiebreaker (which they have already clinched by sweeping the AFC East and winning two of their NFC West games), but that will mean nothing if the Chiefs lose to any of their other AFC West opponents.

^^^

This

good teams find different ways to win but the bottom line is they win. Especially against lower life forms like the Raiders. If the Chiefs can't put away the worst team in football they don't deserve to be in the playoffs. I give the Chiefs a pass week 1 because...well it was week 1. Since then they have been the most consistent team in the NFL. But I am not keen on talking the playoffs yet. Too early. They need to take care of business and someone can call me when they are actually in the postseason.

Don't agree Denver is in. Manning is older. They still have as tough a schedule as KC. If we beat them and win 3 or 4 more games we are AFC west champs. No reason to think Denver will come into KC and win. All the other teams on our schedule are not better than KC. Im not saying win win them all but beat Denver and we control the division.

I think Denver has an easier schedule remaining.  Chiefs and Denver both play each other and SAN.  But the Chiefs have road games against AZ and PIT while the Donks play at CIN and MIA.  There's no guarantee that both teams will win their other games, but it's likely.  If the Chiefs beat DEN, it's possible that both could have 11-5 or 12-4 at the end.

Archived