2024 Draft Sentiment?

Chad Reuter 2024 NFL Draft Grades: Chiefs, Steelers, Seahawks Top Expert's Rankings

DETROIT, MI - APRIL 25: The NFL Draft logo on the stage during day 1 of the NFL Draft on April 25, 2024 at Fox Theatre in Detroit, MI. (Photo by John Smolek/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
John Smolek/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

The NFL draft is complete and with its conclusion, industry experts have given their grades and analysis of how teams fared with their picks.

After the draft concluded Sunday, NFL.com's Chad Reuter gave his grades for each NFL team.

The Kansas City Chiefs, Pittsburgh Steelers and Seattle Seahawks topped his list as each team filled some needs heading into the 2024 season.

The Chiefs' list of picks includes wide receiver Xavier Worthy, offensive tackle Kingsley Suamataia and others. The Steelers drafted offensive tackle Troy Fautanu, center Zach Frazier and more. Defensive tackle Byron Murphy II and offensive guard Christian Haynes highlight the Seahawks' picks.

Reuter gave the Chiefs an A and commended them for their top pick in Worthy, who will give quarterback Patrick Mahomes an exciting target down the field. He also praised Kansas City for getting some offensive line help with Suamataia.

"Worthy is the sort of speedy difference-maker the Chiefs have searched for since trading Tyreek Hill away in 2022, and they did not give up much value to AFC rival Buffalo in the trade up to select him," Reuter wrote. "They also did not have to reach for Suamataia, who should work himself into the lineup at tackle or guard if he's able to improve on his footwork."

Reuter said the Chiefs' fourth-round pick, tight end Jared Wiley, was one of the best picks of the fourth round and mentioned they got a bargain in defensive back Jaden Hicks.

USA Today B+
#9 Best Draft
Kansas City Chiefs

AUSTIN, TEXAS – NOVEMBER 24: Xavier Worthy #1 of the Texas Longhorns reacts after a touchdown in the third quarter against the Texas Tech Red Raiders at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium on November 24, 2023 in Austin, Texas. (Photo by Tim Warner/Getty Images) ORG XMIT: 776020978 ORIG FILE ID: 1812598430

Top three picks:

• WR Xavier Worthy, Texas (Round 1, pick 28)
  • OT Kingsley Suamataia, BYU (Round 2, pick 63)
  • TE Jared Wiley, TCU (Round 4, pick 131)

Best pick: WR Xavier Worthy. Kansas City has been lacking a deep threat since trading Tyreek Hill to the Miami Dolphins. Then they got the fastest player in NFL combine history. Worthy’s deep game didn’t really develop at Texas, but that can be tied to Quinn Ewers’ struggles to get the ball to him downfield. That won’t be an issue for Patrick Mahomes.

Worst pick: CB Kamal Hadden. The Chiefs drafted well enough to force some nitpicking with a sixth round selection. Hadden is a very talented cornerback who has been unable to stay on the field. He’s missed at least four games due to injury in each of his three seasons as a Volunteer.

Potential bargain pick: TE Jared Wiley. You won’t mistake Wiley for Travis Kelce, but he’s a massive target who can carve out space and keep defenders at bay while he hauls in tough catches. He’s built similar to Mark Andrews (6-foot-6, 250-plus pounds) and has the hands (one drop in his college career) to be an immediate red zone threat for a team that was already pretty scary inside the 20s.

Grade: B+

I'm a lot more satisfied with this years draft overall than last years. If Worthy lives up to his Billing which I  expect about 90% of what Cheetah was, the BYU kid figures away  to get on the field during the last half of the season and the TE turns into a legit Rezone target as the year progresses I'll be ecstatic. 

8 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'm a lot more satisfied with this years draft overall than last years. If Worthy lives up to his Billing which I  expect about 90% of what Cheetah was, the BYU kid figures away  to get on the field during the last half of the season and the TE turns into a legit Rezone target as the year progresses I'll be ecstatic. 

I would think less tyreek and more a faster, quicker desean jackson with worthy.

But yeah I'll take 90% of Reek any day

Older Version of Red Beard?

What a glorious time we live in for Chiefs Football.

Our  2 sons, both 9ers fans, could not believe that Buffalo would help KC...they were shocked by the trade.

The other quote that I loved from our 9er Son In Law...."Someone in the AFC must beat KC otherwise the the 49ers will never win another SB"....Hahahaha.

They got their WR off the plate of a rival. Competition for LT of the future. Still have money to grab Smith as an insurance policy. A back up for G and C to replace Nick. Competition for the TE room. A banger at S to develop. I am digging it. 

Solid A.

Pods seem a little critical of the cost of trades but Buff and San Fran were likely selling these picks to the highest bidder. 

They drafted areas of need. Wish they would have got a running back, but no gripes about what they did get. I am especially glad that they invested a lot in offense. Defense was spectacular last year, so need to fix up the offense.

not only did they get the guys they needed, but at the same time the board fell right several times, so the BPA was in fact what they needed. 

somehow KC got bigger, and faster... 

theres some serious athletes in this bunch. has me looking forward to training camp. 

6 minutes ago, robgar said:

not only did they get the guys they needed, but at the same time the board fell right several times, so the BPA was in fact what they needed. 

somehow KC got bigger, and faster... 

theres some serious athletes in this bunch. has me looking forward to training camp. 

Not 119 mph faster I hope.

This draft was so much better than last year's mainly because the Chiefs were able to trade up for the WR they coveted  rather than being stuck at the end of the round with no place to go.  Now the draft is over, but the dealing isn't.  There's enough cap space to go after a vet WR, a stopgap LT, and maybe a RB.  Don't know which if any they'll sign, but its a safe bet that Veach isn't done yet.  Still can't believe that Suamataia was still there at #63.

7 hours ago, West said:

Older Version of Red Beard?

What a glorious time we live in for Chiefs Football.

Our  2 sons, both 9ers fans, could not believe that Buffalo would help KC...they were shocked by the trade.

The other quote that I loved from our 9er Son In Law...."Someone in the AFC must beat KC otherwise the the 49ers will never win another SB"....Hahahaha.

Just more evidence that the game is rigged, ya know.

How much cap money do the Chiefs normally keep for emergencies? 3-4 million?  They currently have what 14-15 million after the draft?  3 million to Donovan Smith, Vet min for a RB (Breida or Cam Akers).  That leaves 11 million?  Go get a DT and DB with the rest?  

Calais Campbell is old but huge and still productive.  Play 60% of the snaps and had 7 sacks last year in Atlanta.  Imagine him next to CJ?                        Not sure what he would cost for a one year deal but ~5-6 million?  Then a DB.  Gilmore has a 71 pff grade last year.  He is long in the tooth but would be a good veteran presence and shouldn't be to expensive at this point in the offseason.  

Sneed > Calais and Gilmore but it would make the difference very minimal.   

With this draft full of wr's I think we could get a veteran for the minimum to play on a one year deal if it gets late enough in the process. I know most of us have written off Toney and Skyy but they are going to make this team unless Remigio or Ross beat them out fairly for the job.  They are both cost controlled and outside of trading Toney he is worth more on the roster than being cut.  That could potentially change but my guess is he will have a rebound year and play better because he won't be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th option on O and there will be no pressure.  

Even without those older vets this team is primed and ready to defend their back to back championship!

7 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

How much cap money do the Chiefs normally keep for emergencies? 3-4 million?  They currently have what 14-15 million after the draft?  3 million to Donovan Smith, Vet min for a RB (Breida or Cam Akers).  That leaves 11 million?  Go get a DT and DB with the rest?  

Maybe some of that cap space will be used to extend Creed or Bolton.  The Chiefs drafted what they hope will be Allegretti's replacement and maybe the replacement for Tre Smith, but they will probably hang on to the other two potential starter FAs after this season.  They also drafted Gray's replacement.  Donovan Smith would seem likely and there's a big hole at RB, but the rest of the roster seems pretty full so it hard to see any major FA signings this summer.  

My guess is that the Chiefs are:

1. Trying to get a contract extension in place with either Grey  or Humphrey but not both.  They drafted guys that can flex to any interior line positions for a reason.

2. Bringing back Donovan Smith makes sense at the right price.  The draft gave KC a better negotiating position with Smith's agents. If he signs for the right price, great...if not.....the Chiefs move forward with a multitude of options.  I will add that there is no other free agent tackle out there that makes sense.

3. Bolton's extension is important, but Tranquil has proven he can take that job next year.  My hope is Bolton signs a team friendly deal to make it easy.

4. I think KC does not see a big hole at RB. That said, welcoming back McKinnon would be wise at the right price.

Overall, as we all expected....Veach used the Free Agent period phase 1 very well and he drafted very wisely...The Chiefs have "taken the high ground".

w

1 hour ago, West said:

1. Trying to get a contract extension in place with either Grey  or Humphrey but not both.  They drafted guys that can flex to any interior line positions for a reason.

2. Bringing back Donovan Smith makes sense at the right price.  The draft gave KC a better negotiating position with Smith's agents. If he signs for the right price, great...if not.....the Chiefs move forward with a multitude of options.  I will add that there is no other free agent tackle out there that makes sense.

3. Bolton's extension is important, but Tranquil has proven he can take that job next year.  My hope is Bolton signs a team friendly deal to make it easy.

4. I think KC does not see a big hole at RB. That said, welcoming back McKinnon would be wise at the right price.

Overall, as we all expected....Veach used the Free Agent period phase 1 very well and he drafted very wisely...The Chiefs have "taken the high ground".

w

i prefer they extend Humphrey, don't think McKinnon comes back (he has slowed down considerably)

2 hours ago, West said:

w

1.  The Chiefs drafted Gray's replacement on Saturday.  Aside from the first two picks, Veach seemed to be taking a long term strategy.  IOL, TE, and S to replace Smith, Gray, and Reid and they have a year to see if they got the right guys.

2. Smith may come back on the cheap, but there's a couple of others still available if they think Wanya and Kingsley aren't ready.

3. Spags loves Bolton and with Gay gone and no one waiting in the wings, resigning Bolton could be a priority.

4.  The Chiefs will need one more RB just to fill the roster and Prince/Perine may not be the answer.  The big horse UDFA from UCLA in interesting but they need a McKinnon type for third down passing situations.

Veach is waiting for the compensation period to end before making any more moves and also could look at the June 1 cuts.  LT and RB are likely pickups and if the right WR comes cheap, he might go for one more.  MVS, Hardman, and Pringle are still on the FA list.  🙂

11 minutes ago, jetlord said:

1.  The Chiefs drafted Gray's replacement on Saturday.  Aside from the first two picks, Veach seemed to be taking a long term strategy.  IOL, TE, and S to replace Smith, Gray, and Reid and they have a year to see if they got the right guys.

2. Smith may come back on the cheap, but there's a couple of others still available if they think Wanya and Kingsley aren't ready.

3. Spags loves Bolton and with Gay gone and no one waiting in the wings, resigning Bolton could be a priority.

4.  The Chiefs will need one more RB just to fill the roster and Prince/Perine may not be the answer.  The big horse UDFA from UCLA in interesting but they need a McKinnon type for third down passing situations.

Veach is waiting for the compensation period to end before making any more moves and also could look at the June 1 cuts.  LT and RB are likely pickups and if the right WR comes cheap, he might go for one more.  MVS, Hardman, and Pringle are still on the FA list.  🙂

who's gonna fill Thuney's shoes???? He's the elephant in the room with a $27M CAP Hit  this and next year..he's cuttable in 2025 with a $10M Dead Cap hit with what is saved by cutting him Smith is down right cheap unless Smith instantly becomes a 2 time All Pro

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/19028/joe-thuney

Just now, oldtimer said:

who's gonna fill Thuney's shoes,,he's the elephant in the room with a $27M CAP Hit  this and next year..he's cuttable in 2025 with a $10M Dead Cap  hit

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/19028/joe-thuney

Good question.  The Chiefs drafted two IOL plus picked up UDFA but I doubt that covers both Smith and Thuney.  Maybe they renegotiate and extend Thuney or maybe they prioritize OG in the next draft.  The cost of FA guards went through the roof this winter so Veach will have to work his magic.