2024 Draft Sentiment?

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Good question.  The Chiefs drafted two IOL plus picked up UDFA but I doubt that covers both Smith and Thuney.  Maybe they renegotiate and extend Thuney or maybe they prioritize OG in the next draft.  The cost of FA guards went through the roof this winter so Veach will have to work his magic.

with Thuney being 32 by mid season... you really want to extend him? 

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

with Thuney being 32 by mid season... you really want to extend him? 

Don't know.  Depends on Thuney, but Shields played for 14 year IIRC.  If extending Thuney cuts his cap hit in the next couple of years, it's worth considering. 

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Interesting read with multiple tweets. Bottom line is anything under yprr of 2.0 and the receiver never did much since 2015. Only 2 have overcame it. Worthy has a 2.21 btw.

Just a thought here but it seems to me the desperation pick of Hardiman was the Chiefs not knowing what was going to happen with Reek and overall that pick blew up in their face amongst other things because it turned out Reek was just a shitty picker of women and that pick could of been used in other ways. That pick might of gotten other GMs on the Hot seat. We have no such worries now Rice was no Reek and his "crime" not nearly as severe but with Worthy it may seem that the 4.21 40  might of convinced  Veach/Reid and Co to  channel their inner Al Davis by putting an over emphasis on his speed and ignoring other  red flags ( physical, not character) If worthy is a flop Veach has enough collateral to over come the hot seat but it will also take him off of Wizard status and IN VEACH I TRUST may be a devalued motto.....

time will tell.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Just a thought here but it seems to me the desperation pick of Hardiman was the Chiefs not knowing what was going to happen with Reek and overall that pick blew up in their face amongst other things because it turned out Reek was just a shitty picker of women and that pick could of been used in other ways. That pick might of gotten other GMs on the Hot seat. We have no such worries now Rice was no Reek and his "crime" not nearly as severe but with Worthy it may seem that the 4.21 40  might of convinced  Veach/Reid and Co to  channel their inner Al Davis by putting an over emphasis on his speed and ignoring other  red flags ( physical, not character) If worthy is a flop Veach has enough collateral to over come the hot seat but it will also take him off of Wizard status and IN VEACH I TRUST may be a devalued motto.....

time will tell.

Xen will tell.  We made the correct decision.  No more sitting on kelce's ass with safety/lb brackets.  It may take a few years for him to become what he can be (faster desaun jackson 2.0) but in the meantime he can really open things up for this offense.

Oh and by the way when teams do back off again and play that off coverage like the bangles did in the 2nd half of the afccg we lost, guess who's spent the last 2 years learning to take what the defense gives him.  

Look, could Worthy bust?  Sure, anybody can.  However I have a lot of confidence that he will really develop over the next few years.  By all accounts he's really smart and a hard worker.  Kind of a quiet kid but a worker.  That should be plenty for Andy and Pat to work with.

Also, and this may be a byproduct of playing with a munchkin in AZ but Hollywood has been at his best working intermediate routes not long ones.  Send Worthy long and open up everything for Kelce, Hollywood and eventually Rice.

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Interesting read with multiple tweets. Bottom line is anything under yprr of 2.0 and the receiver never did much since 2015. Only 2 have overcame it. Worthy has a 2.21 btw.

Same thread, same guy

Screenshot_20240430_192947_X.jpg

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2024/5/1/24146569/chiefs-draft-5-picks-make-list-of-100-best

On Wednesday, ESPN draft analyst Matt Miller tallied up what he believed were the 100 best selections during last weekend’s 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit. Miller chose to include five of the Kansas City Chiefs’ seven picks on his list. Three other teams — the Detroit Lions, Pittsburgh Steelers and Los Angeles Rams — also placed five picks on Miller’s list, but only the Lions had a higher percentage of their selections make this ranking.

The Chiefs’ first pick was ranked behind the Chicago Bears’ selection of wide receiver Rome Odunze, Chicago’s pick of quarterback Caleb Williams and the Arizona Cardinals’ decision to take Marvin Harrison, Jr.

4. WR Xavier Worthy, WR, Kansas City Chiefs (Pick 1-28)

My final overall ranking: No. 25

The NFL seriously let the fastest person ever timed at the combine (4.21 seconds) go to Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? After two years of desperately trying to add a speedy target to replace Tyreek Hill, GM Brett Veach moved up four spots in the first round to get his guy. Worthy is a dangerous deep threat but also has a diverse set of route skills and can change the game as a punt returner.

The NFL seriously let the fastest person ever timed at the combine (4.21 seconds) go to Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? After two years of desperately trying to add a speedy target to replace Tyreek Hill, GM Brett Veach moved up four spots in the first round to get his guy. Worthy is a dangerous deep threat but also has a diverse set of route skills and can change the game as a punt returner.

While Arrowhead Pride’s consensus draft prospect ranking enumerated Worthy 35th — making him a seven-spot reach at the draft’s 28th pick — Miller had ranked the Texas wideout as the 25th-best prospect. That’s one of the reasons he’s ranked Kansas City’s first-round selection so highly.

But he’s explained the other one, too: Worthy could be exactly the player the Chiefs have been trying to find since trading Tyreek Hill to the Miami Dolphins. As the weeks before the draft wound down, many Kansas City fans had cooled on Worthy. If the Chiefs could win two consecutive Super Bowls without a player like Hill, was it important for the team to keep trying to find one?

And yet... the team seems to have seen it differently. And outside of Chiefs fans, few observers seem to think Kansas City should have taken a bigger, heavier target (such as Adonai Mitchell, Ladd McConkey or Xavier Legette) for quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

It will be years before we know whether the Chiefs made the right decision. But it’s probably good for Kansas City fans to be reminded that Worthy’s acquisition has struck fear across most other fanbases. That should tell us something.they drafted a quarterback-turned-tight-end with great traits in Wiley. No, I’m not saying he’ll be the next Kelce, but Veach and coach Andy Reid know former QBs make great tight ends because they understand the entire offense and are great at finding space on the fly. His 6-foot-6 size and potential are intriguing enough to make this one of the more fun developmental picks in the class.

18. TE Jared Wiley, TE, Kansas City Chiefs (Pick 4-131)

My final overall ranking: No. 83

In the 2013 draft, the Chiefs selected a quarterback-turned-tight-end with great traits named Travis Kelce. In the 2024 draft, they drafted a quarterback-turned-tight-end with great traits in Wiley. No, I’m not saying he’ll be the next Kelce, but Veach and coach Andy Reid know former QBs make great tight ends because they understand the entire offense and are great at finding space on the fly. His 6-foot-6 size and potential are intriguing enough to make this one of the more fun developmental picks in the class.

With this pick — the Chiefs’ second among Miller’s top 20 — Kansas City seems to be trying to get ahead of the curve; Wiley looks like someone meant to fill the important role Kelce holds in the team’s offense. As Miller notes, this doesn’t mean Wiley will be the next Kelce — it would be foolish to predict that — but it’s pretty easy to see that once the superstar tight end chooses to leave the game, someone should be ready to step in. Like the team, Miller believes Wiley can do it.

61. CB Kamal Hadden, Kansas City Chiefs (Pick 6-211)

My final overall ranking: No. 126

The Chiefs are one of the NFL’s best teams at finding defensive backs on Day 3, and Hadden might be the next in that line. He has excellent size at 6-foot-1 and 196 pounds, and he showed the ball skills to be a key NFL player in college (three interceptions in 2023). With L’Jarius Sneed traded to Tennessee, Hadden has a path to early playing time.

74. S Jaden Hicks, Kansas City Chiefs (Pick 4-133)

My final overall ranking: No. 57

Hicks had buzz as the top safety in the class, making this a great get for the Chiefs. He has experience at safety, inside linebacker and slot corner, and he could be a Drue Tranquill-like player in Steve Spagnuolo’s defense.

85. OT Kingsley Suamataia, Kansas City Chiefs (Pick 2-63)

My final overall ranking: No. 64

The connections between Suamataia and Kansas City were red-hot before the draft, so it’s not a shock that the team selected him in Round 2. The question will be where he plays. The Chiefs have a need at left tackle, but Wanya Morris played well when thrust into action late last season as a rookie. Could Suamataia be a future replacement for pricey right tackle Jawaan Taylor, given his struggles in 2023? I think so.

As I continue to practice pronouncing his name (SOO-uh-mah-tah-EE-uh), I become more and more convinced that the Chiefs made a brilliant decision to take the former BYU tackle with their second-round pick; I’d probably place him at least third on this list.

4 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2024/5/1/24146569/chiefs-draft-5-picks-make-list-of-100-best

they drafted a quarterback-turned-tight-end with great traits in Wiley. No, I’m not saying he’ll be the next Kelce, but Veach and coach Andy Reid know former QBs make great tight ends because they understand the entire offense and are great at finding space on the fly. His 6-foot-6 size and potential are intriguing enough to make this one of the more fun developmental picks in the class.

With this pick — the Chiefs’ second among Miller’s top 20 — Kansas City seems to be trying to get ahead of the curve; Wiley looks like someone meant to fill the important role Kelce holds in the team’s offense. As Miller notes, this doesn’t mean Wiley will be the next Kelce — it would be foolish to predict that — but it’s pretty easy to see that once the superstar tight end chooses to leave the game, someone should be ready to step in. Like the team, Miller believes Wiley can do it.

61. CB Kamal Hadden, Kansas City Chiefs (Pick 6-211)

My final overall ranking: No. 126

The Chiefs are one of the NFL’s best teams at finding defensive backs on Day 3, and Hadden might be the next in that line. He has excellent size at 6-foot-1 and 196 pounds, and he showed the ball skills to be a key NFL player in college (three interceptions in 2023). With L’Jarius Sneed traded to Tennessee, Hadden has a path to early playing time.

74. S Jaden Hicks, Kansas City Chiefs (Pick 4-133)

My final overall ranking: No. 57

Hicks had buzz as the top safety in the class, making this a great get for the Chiefs. He has experience at safety, inside linebacker and slot corner, and he could be a Drue Tranquill-like player in Steve Spagnuolo’s defense.

85. OT Kingsley Suamataia, Kansas City Chiefs (Pick 2-63)

My final overall ranking: No. 64

The connections between Suamataia and Kansas City were red-hot before the draft, so it’s not a shock that the team selected him in Round 2. The question will be where he plays. The Chiefs have a need at left tackle, but Wanya Morris played well when thrust into action late last season as a rookie. Could Suamataia be a future replacement for pricey right tackle Jawaan Taylor, given his struggles in 2023? I think so.

As I continue to practice pronouncing his name (SOO-uh-mah-tah-EE-uh), I become more and more convinced that the Chiefs made a brilliant decision to take the former BYU tackle with their second-round pick; I’d probably place him at least third on this list.

You forgot my boy worthy at #4 on this list.

4 minutes ago, xen said:

You forgot my boy worthy at #4 on this list.

I thought I had copied it all, I corrected it for you and your hurt feelings lol

of all the picks I am most intrigued by the TE pick it also reinforces my calling for a shot at an heir apparent to TK. Evidently Veach & company also felt that now was the time to start that search.

19 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

of all the picks I am most intrigued by the TE pick it also reinforces my calling for a shot at an heir apparent to TK. Evidently Veach & company also felt that now was the time to start that search.

I am too. I really did not know much about him but the more I read the more intriguing it is.

I hope the TE pans out...He seems to have the right skill set.

My hope is that Worthy and the Chiefs have a solid plan to put 10 lbs of muscle on him.

I love the speed and his durability in college,  but in the NFL Newton's 2nd Law may get him hurt.

w

I'm excited about Worthy's pass running ability to pair with that speed.  He isn't a long strider like MVS and even Mecole for that matter.  He is quick, not as quick as Tyreek, but very very quick and he tracks the ball well.   If he stays healthy and can put on 10 lbs he is gonna be dangerous in our O.   Our O at least on paper has filled out the necessary pieces to return to one of the most dangerous units in the NFL.   We have two interchangeable deep threats that are both an upgrade over the trash we had last year.   Kelce and Rice feast over the middle.   Toney can be useful as a complimentary piece and Pacheco is a bell cow rb.   I think the only kink in the plan is Rice's suspension.  For that reason it would be wise to go out and grab a veteran that could overlap his spot.   Zay Jones is a potential candidate.   Hope to see a massive jump from last year in offensive productivity.  

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Can anyone explain why Bailey seemed to play okay but was right at the bottom of testing?

those "Hi -lites" seem to confirm his testing, he is a JAG..wont make first cut not sure why the Chiefs even wasted their time/$$ on him

On 4/28/2024 at 10:35 AM, West said:

Separately, PFF gives KC a B+....

Sounds fair. A couple of reaches late, but that's par for the course.  If Suamataia had more experience, it would have been an A.  But then, he wouldn't have been available.  Some say HIcks is a home run, though.

4 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Sounds fair. A couple of reaches late, but that's par for the course.  If Suamataia had more experience, it would have been an A.  But then, he wouldn't have been available.  Some say HIcks is a home run, though.

Nearly every KC pick was drafted after their consensus ranking in pre draft lists.  Doesn't mean they were bargains but for drafting at the end of every round, Veach may have found some value.  I also like the big NT they got as an UFDA.  May not make the team, but even from the pc, he could replace Pennell or Nnadi in the future.