Top 5 Chiefs Best Defensive Players of all time

Hard to argue with that group.  I'd add Emmitt Thomas to the discussion although I don't really remember him playing.  

Not necessarily all time Chiefs, but some of my favorites from my lifetime that aren't on your list would be Dan Saleauma, Deron Cherry, Albert Lewis, Tamba Hali, Justin Houston and Jerad Allen.  

5 hours ago, West said:

1. DT (emotional for me....)

2. Chris Jones (3 Rings....)

3. Bobby Bell

4. Buck Buchanaon

5. Willie Lanier / Curley Culp

Interested in all opinions....

I'm with you.   Derrick Thomas No. 1.  Then Bobby Bell, Then Chris Jones, then Buck Buchanon, then Willie Lanier

1 hour ago, West said:

The Old dudes are pretty much in agreement...curious about the younger folks....

Us young folks would probably say:

1. DT

2. CJ

3. James Hasty

4. DJ

5. Dale Carter

Honorable Mention, although this could change day to day... Eric Berry

On 4/30/2024 at 4:09 PM, SEMO said:

1 - William Bartee

2 - Eric Warfield

3 - Ryan Sims

4 - Percy Snow

5 - Eddie Freeman

I have an autographed Eric Warfield game worn jersey.  Not worth much except he intercepted Brady in that game, so I'll keep it forever.

10 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Based on impact career stats:

#1 Emmitt Thomas

#2 Derrick Thomas

#3 Johnny Robinson

#4 Chris Jones

#5 Derrick Johnson

What does impact career stats mean?

Cause I could argue that CJ has made a massive impact in 3 superbowl wins.

18 minutes ago, xen said:

What does impact career stats mean?

Cause I could argue that CJ has made a massive impact in 3 superbowl wins.

Well career stats is just that....career, not just sb stats only. If a guy had 3 big sb it's but nothing else for his career worth a shit, would you consider him a great defensive guy?

36 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well career stats is just that....career, not just sb stats only. If a guy had 3 big sb it's but nothing else for his career worth a shit, would you consider him a great defensive guy?

I mean that's a hypothetical but not the case for CJ so I still ask what means.  Are some stats higher impact than others?  Do we mean impact towards regular season wins or just postseason?  Both?  Are we just looking at impact on overall career excellence?  

You could argue that many of Emmitt's best seasons did not impact anything due to lack of postseason or regular season success.  Stat wise his best season was '74 and KC was 5-9 that year.  

3 minutes ago, xen said:

I mean that's a hypothetical but not the case for CJ so I still ask what means.  Are some stats higher impact than others?  Do we mean impact towards regular season wins or just postseason?  Both?  Are we just looking at impact on overall career excellence?  

You could argue that many of Emmitt's best seasons did not impact anything due to lack of postseason or regular season success.  Stat wise his best season was '74 and KC was 5-9 that year.  

I would argue it is the entire body of a players career. We have had many great players not do anything in the post season due to terrible years. Thomas never won much at all in the post season and is a HOF player and deservedly so. It takes a special team to win it all and some of these players just never had the team around them despite great playing careers. Tony G for the offense is a great example of one of those players. 

3 minutes ago, xen said:

Exactly. “Best” simply means the best, regardless of any extraneous circumstances like playoffs, etc. 

Most of the best players in Chiefs history never got anywhere near the SB. 

1 hour ago, xen said:

Wrong about his lack of SB history.  He was definitely on the SB winning squad in 1969.  I used to watch him that season.  In fact,. he had an interception in SB IV.

42 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Wrong about his lack of SB history.  He was definitely on the SB winning squad in 1969.  I used to watch him that season.  In fact,. he had an interception in SB IV.

Ok.  But that's not what I said.

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

He kind of proved that an UDFA from a tiny college could make it big in the NFL.  Gotta love those stories.