15 hours ago, xen said:

Not so sure about that premise.  It will always be hard to be a tackle for Pat just cause of how he likes to move around and manipulate the D.  While it's awesome it is hard on your tackles.  You could be doing great, but now he's not where you expect him to be, which can lead to holds if you're not careful.

By any metric we like, I think we can all agree that last years offense sucked in the regular season.  Most of the issues can be traced to the receivers though.  Inability to separate, drops, not making good sight adjustments, etc... the list was long.

The tackles were average but Pat has shown he can make that work.  Reminder, the year before we led the league in offense with average tackle play.  Same the year before that.  The difference was the receiving corps.

Add to that it is 1000% easier to find a legit wr than a legit tackle, just due to supply and demand, and I think a vet receiver might make a bigger difference to the offense.

All that said I'd wait and let the young guys get all the reps and to get more clarity on Rice's situation.  

I don't think it will always be hard.  He has already gotten leaps and bounds better by not dropping so deep.  Obviously upgrading the wr position will help and I agree last years offense sucked by I remember a lot of drives killed by our tackles as well.  One was the most penalized player in the league.  It was a cluster fudge of bad offense.   

This is probably a chicken/egg conversation  Pat needs both.  He isn't going to be elite forever at running around back there and I think a good LT would allow Mahomes to not get those occasional happy feet.  Ultimately, finding that tackle in the draft is what we need and I hope one of the two we have vying for that spot can be better than OBJ and buy us a few years of cheap above avg LT play.  I'm excited about the possiblities this year on O.

8 hours ago, xen said:

Trent should have 2.  Except.... Mahomes lol

Yep dude chose wrong.  We obviously don't have Taylor if that happened but that alone is another missed benefit of him not signing with us. 

14 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I don't think it will always be hard.  He has already gotten leaps and bounds better by not dropping so deep.  Obviously upgrading the wr position will help and I agree last years offense sucked by I remember a lot of drives killed by our tackles as well.  One was the most penalized player in the league.  It was a cluster fudge of bad offense.   

This is probably a chicken/egg conversation  Pat needs both.  He isn't going to be elite forever at running around back there and I think a good LT would allow Mahomes to not get those occasional happy feet.  Ultimately, finding that tackle in the draft is what we need and I hope one of the two we have vying for that spot can be better than OBJ and buy us a few years of cheap above avg LT play.  I'm excited about the possiblities this year on O.

Yeah easy to be excited and let's hope Veach struck gold with Suamataia.  

If it makes y'all feel better, it is absolutely possible for a quick passing game to also be good at the deep passing game, it just takes multiple really fast receivers.

Case in point is Miami.  Most advanced stats have Tua at or near the top of the league in time to throw (I think he was fastest to throw last year or close to the top) and deep passing metrics, as well as deep passing completions.

And these were not just short passes with YAC, this is in air yards metrics as well (or how far he threw it).

But that all depends on Reek and Waddle getting deep fast.  

Found this interesting with Vikings. Since they extended Jefferson, they will be hurting for cash. Cutting Taylor after next year would be huge relief on the cap if he doesn't get it going.

From the article below:

https://lastwordonsports.com/nfl/2024/06/02/vikings-could-trade-christian-darrisaw/

Much like the Patriots, the Chiefs are betting on rookie Kingsley Suamataia immediately securing one of the most important non-quarterback positions in football. While some teams are in a position to let their rookies learn on the job, Kansas City is in win-now mode and can’t bet the season on a rookie hitting the ground running. Kansas City could trade for Christian Darrisaw, start him in 2024, and then move Suamataia to the right side in 2025 once they’re financially able to cut Jawaan Taylor.

On 6/1/2024 at 1:25 PM, xen said:

Yeah easy to be excited and let's hope Veach struck gold with Suamataia.  

If it makes y'all feel better, it is absolutely possible for a quick passing game to also be good at the deep passing game, it just takes multiple really fast receivers.

Case in point is Miami.  Most advanced stats have Tua at or near the top of the league in time to throw (I think he was fastest to throw last year or close to the top) and deep passing metrics, as well as deep passing completions.

And these were not just short passes with YAC, this is in air yards metrics as well (or how far he threw it).

But that all depends on Reek and Waddle getting deep fast.  

I think we all hope that for Kingsley.   

I agree and believe that was the focus of this offseason.  To get fast competent wrs to pair with Rice and Kelce.  Fast quick throws sprinkled in with deep shots would definitely help a young inexperienced LT.