Who is a dark horse to make the team and actually contribute this year?

I will go with Nikko Remigio.

I really liked him a couple of years ago and mocked him to KC as a late round pick all offseason.  As a returner alone, he could earn a spot.

Steele or Bailey.  One of them should crack the RB roster.  Reports from OTAs (Matt Derrick & Nate Taylor) are that Rimigio is impressive so far.  B. J. Thompson is coming off a red shirt year.  Just a guess until TC is started.  

10 hours ago, SEMO said:

I really liked him a couple of years ago and mocked him to KC as a late round pick all offseason.  As a returner alone, he could earn a spot.

He'd be my first choice... then LRZ.

12 hours ago, SEMO said:

I have a flagged thread about him.. I got roasted for it I’m going to be pulling receipts. He was electric in college. And he looked primed to win a job last year before injury. 

9 minutes ago, Calichief said:

I have a flagged thread about him.. I got roasted for it I’m going to be pulling receipts. He was electric in college. And he looked primed to win a job last year before injury. 

Mid

😁

52 minutes ago, mex said:

OH NOES PLEASE DON'T!!! :lol: 

Pretty sure I blasted Remigio last year lol. 

So let's do it again. 

I think he's an even longer shot now than last year.

I just don't see it unless he's just so much better than everyone else.

1) glut of receivers

2) the change to kickoff rules.  With his size I think he's punt returner only now. They'll want bigger returners on kickoffs I would think.

3) Worthy is a great punt returner and they have other guys who can also do it well that we'll definitely keep...

4) His profile does not exactly scream that he is gonna dominate...

20240602_084521.jpg

Dark horse who may have a legit shot to me is the kid out of ucla that looks like Thor.

Mostly because he can play FB amd we don't have anyone else on the roster that can do that.  We all know Andy loves FBs, and I do think he'll blame some of the short yardage woes last year on not carrying one for the first time.

The reason he might not is if they other coaches convince Andy they can get better with using the H back like last year.  Wasn't great results last year though.

3 minutes ago, xen said:

Pretty sure I blasted Remigio last year lol. 

So let's do it again. 

I think he's an even longer shot now than last year.

I just don't see it unless he's just so much better than everyone else.

1) glut of receivers

2) the change to kickoff rules.  With his size I think he's punt returner only now. They'll want bigger returners on kickoffs I would think.

3) Worthy is a great punt returner and they have other guys who can also do it well that we'll definitely keep...

4) His profile does not exactly scream that he is gonna dominate...

20240602_084521.jpg

I like the kid... but he is a def long shot. His body type is similar to Julian Edelman so IMO size isn't as big a detraction... though he is slightly less athletic, we don't need him to be Edelman we just need him to be consistent, which he can with the other weapons we have. I'm pulling for him.

1 hour ago, mex said:

I like the kid... but he is a def long shot. His body type is similar to Julian Edelman so IMO size isn't as big a detraction... though he is slightly less athletic, we don't need him to be Edelman we just need him to be consistent, which he can with the other weapons we have. I'm pulling for him.

It's not slightly less athletic.  Edelman was a COD freak.

Seems slightly less to me. 

Edelman   Remigio

40               4.52           4.57

20 spl         2.58           2.66

10 spl         1.52            1.57  

Vertical     36.5            36.0

Broad       1003           1001

Shuttle       3.92          4.33

3 cone       6.62           7.20

2 hours ago, mex said:

Seems slightly less to me. 

Edelman   Remigio

40               4.52           4.57

20 spl         2.58           2.66

10 spl         1.52            1.57  

Vertical     36.5            36.0

Broad       1003           1001

Shuttle       3.92          4.33

3 cone       6.62           7.20

I said COD freak.  The difference in those COD numbers are the difference in being 98th percentile and 20 to 40th percentile.  Kind of important for a guy that has to make his impact in the slot as a smaller receiver.

I'm not saying Remegio can't do it, just that it is hard to see him making the team this year.  He's gonna have to grab a spot at receiver cause I don't see punt return alone getting him a spot.

1 minute ago, xen said:

I'm not saying Remegio can't do it, just that it is hard to see him making the team this year

Hence dark horse.

1 minute ago, xen said:

He's gonna have to grab a spot at receiver cause I don't see punt return alone getting him a spot.

Agreed

BTW something that may change the math... if Rice is suspended to start the season.  I think they may keep 4 tight ends this year if they like Irv Smith, so that does say probably only 6 receivers, depending on what they do at RB.

The numbers:

Locks:

Worthy, Rice, Hollywood, Watson, Skyy, Toney (to me in that order, although the team probably has Toney ahead of Skyy)

I know some will want to argue about Skyy and Toney being locks but I think Reid has been pretty clear about wanting to continue to develop both of them.

Bubble:  

Justyn Ross, Remegio, Powell, Washington.

The rest are camp fodder.

Screenshot_20240602_170647_Chrome.jpg

19 hours ago, Calichief said:

Got to believe he would have got called up last year had he been healthy.  

22 minutes ago, xen said:

Bubble:  

Justyn Ross, Remegio, Powell, Washington.

The rest are camp fodder.

Question of the day is Powell... he's been a disappointment. 

The hope is that out of Toney, Skyy, and Ross there's at least one that clicks this season.  Toney not being at OTAs isn't helping his cause.  If it's true that contract years go undefeated, Toney is on his way to being the exception.  

1 hour ago, mex said:

Hence dark horse.

Agreed

The return game is going to be a whole new ball of wax this coming season.  The changes will make this one of the most exciting plays in football.  Toub will be ready to do things with it that other teams will not at all be ready for.

Emani Bailey is my guy. Had him in a ton of mocks this offseason up until he posted numbers that made me hesitate because the Chiefs usually look for a bit more of an athlete. That said, he's insanely productive and was also productive at the Senior Bowl. I think he has a ton of potential in the league and believe he'll win that 3rd RB job.