When does the GOAT discussion start?

3-peat ends the debate. No comparison the best we have seen for his age. Longevity is real, but Pat is the greatest of all time based on what we have seen so far in the league. And so freaking humble. 

3 peat ends the debate as DH says... but IMO anyone who knows football understands #15 is BY FAR the more skilled, gifted, and talented football player.

Greatness isn't defined by SB wins alone. 

If that were the case, Brad Johnson would be considered better than Dan Marino.

I think any dude who makes 5 super bowls in 6 years and 7 straight conference championship games is hard to argue against being the greatest of his generation. Same goes for Andy as a coach, especially when Andy was successful with lesser talent whereas Belichick is bad absent Brady.

The challenge will be catching Brady in appearances and Championships. It is like comparing any WR to Jerry Rice. He is such an outlier, that unless you sniff his records in ways no one else has, I don’t think you can usurp the throne. A three peat is the kind of bonus where if Mahomes appears in 7 or 8 Super Bowls, you can justify an argument around the stats.

8 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

I think any dude who makes 5 super bowls in 6 years and 7 straight conference championship games is hard to argue against being the greatest of his generation. Same goes for Andy as a coach, especially when Andy was successful with lesser talent whereas Belichick is bad absent Brady.

The challenge will be catching Brady in appearances and Championships. It is like comparing any WR to Jerry Rice. He is such an outlier, that unless you sniff his records in ways no one else has, I don’t think you can usurp the throne. A three peat is the kind of bonus where if Mahomes appears in 7 or 8 Super Bowls, you can justify an argument around the stats.

5 SBs and 7 straight CC's? (Really hoping that's the case after this season.)

As stated above, SBs are not the only factor. Unfortunately the pundits decide GOATS, and championships seem to be their highest priority.

With Mahomes' 3rd "Come From Behind Last Minute SB Win" many pundits are reluctantly leaning his way... my guess is it will be a while as PM has quite a ways to go in most major stats. 

#12 has 23 years, 89,214 yds (3879 yds/season ave)

#15 has 7 years, 28,424 (4737 yds ave)

If PM can continue his pace he'll become the leader in his 18th season, while #12 took 23. Considering he's had a season or two with a sub-standard receiving corps, it seems plausible he'll continue (if not exceed his pace) over the next 5-10 years.

IMO all Patrick needs to do is win one or two more SBs and stay healthy enough to surpass #12 in total yds. 22 years is a long time, but Patrick seems to be taking care of himself long term. He gets it. 

Honestly I think all he has to do is get close to the superbowl total and keep playing the way he has.  I'm not sure how much total yards will play in, or any other stat for that matter.  

Unless he just blows by Brady in superbowls, I imagine it would be more like the Jordan v. LeBron debates, about half and half with the pundits.  

21 minutes ago, xen said:

Honestly I think all he has to do is get close to the superbowl total and keep playing the way he has.  I'm not sure how much total yards will play in, or any other stat for that matter.  

Unless he just blows by Brady in superbowls, I imagine it would be more like the Jordan v. LeBron debates, about half and half with the pundits.  

Far as I'm concerned, he's already earned GOAT status.

And as you already know, my opinion is the only one that matters.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Thing is to me, if he comes close PM still should have it. Brady won in spite of him the first sb he played in. His defense carried him. Throw in the fact they were caught cheating and other Accusations too, I think PM has it then.

PM won with one of the worst defenses in SB history. He was the first qb to win with a cap hit of having over 12.5% of teams cap space, which he had 17% of it. He will also probably win more or same SB MVPs as Brady had 5 and Mahomes is already at 3.

Finally, he has one out of 6 QBs in SB era to win the MVP and SB MVP in the same season and to do so as the only one before his 25th birthday. Brady won 3 regular season MVPs, I think Mahomes beats that too.

55 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Thing is to me, if he comes close PM still should have it. Brady won in spite of him the first sb he played in. His defense carried him. Throw in the fact they were caught cheating and other Accusations too, I think PM has it then.

PM won with one of the worst defenses in SB history. He was the first qb to win with a cap hit of having over 12.5% of teams cap space, which he had 17% of it. He will also probably win more or same SB MVPs as Brady had 5 and Mahomes is already at 3.

Finally, he has one out of 6 QBs in SB era to win the MVP and SB MVP in the same season and to do so as the only one before his 25th birthday. Brady won 3 regular season MVPs, I think Mahomes beats that too.

Oh I already think he's right there, right now.  But I'm probably biased. 

Personally, I think the right question to determine the goat is:  if I'm starting the NFL from scratch, right now, and all NFL players in history are in the draft, who's the number 1 overall pick?

Personally I think the answer is obvious.

Agree with Xen's approach.

Patrick would be the Number One Pick of all time in the NFL.

oh yeah, LeBron is over rated....He is not in my NBA top 3

Jordan, Magic, Kareem, and Chamberlain all come in ahead of him.

If it was the 1970-80's-90's  the league physicality would have slowed down  LJ considerably.

3 hours ago, xen said:

I hope no one compared Mahomes to Lebron. That means he’d have the most Super Bowl losses of any QB.

1 hour ago, West said:

Agree with Xen's approach.

Patrick would be the Number One Pick of all time in the NFL.

oh yeah, LeBron is over rated....He is not in my NBA top 3

Jordan, Magic, Kareem, and Chamberlain all come in ahead of him.

If it was the 1970-80's-90's  the league physicality would have slowed down  LJ considerably.

Larry Byrd too but yea 100% agree..Bill Russell too

All pointless at this time considering Mahomes has played seven years, essentially six,   Chiefs' fans will talk about the first six years and Pats' fans will talk about total yds., SB rings, and everything else that goes with a 23 year career.  The time for comparing will be when Mahomes is late in his career with a number of games closer to Brady's.  Until then, we Chiefs' fans can bask in what's happening now and know we are rooting for the best ever at what he's done up to this point. 

17 minutes ago, jetlord said:

All pointless at this time considering Mahomes has played seven years, essentially six,   Chiefs' fans will talk about the first six years and Pats' fans will talk about total yds., SB rings, and everything else that goes with a 23 year career.  The time for comparing will be when Mahomes is late in his career with a number of games closer to Brady's.  Until then, we Chiefs' fans can bask in what's happening now and know we are rooting for the best ever at what he's done up to this point. 

Nothing is pointless 3 months before the season starts. Gotta have something to argue about for crying out loud...

2 hours ago, mex said:

Nothing is pointless 3 months before the season starts. Gotta have something to argue about for crying out loud...

Arguing is pointless. 

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Arguing is pointless. 

On the contrary, arguing is the essence of the entire human experience.  Nothing is close.  Notice that I am arguing with you.

13 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

On the contrary, arguing is the essence of the entire human experience.  Nothing is close.  Notice that I am arguing with you.

I see many caught my sarcasm. Remember what they say about arguing.....

My personal opinion is Mahomes needs 5 with that three-peat minimum.   I don't think he needs 7 or more to pass him but he has to win more.  I think he is the most talented already but he still has some stats to stack to be the goat.