Another Team Tried to draft Xavier Worthy ahead of Chiefs

Buffalo Bills fans were not happy after the first round of this year’s NFL Draft.

The Chiefs had swung a trade with the Bills and grabbed wide receiver Xavier Worthy. Buffalo fans couldn’t believe general manager Brandon Beane made a deal with the Chiefs, who have eliminated the Bills from the playoffs in three of the past four seasons.

Former Cleveland Browns general manager Michael Lombardi agreed with Bills Mafia. Lombardi recounted the Raiders’ philosophy when he worked in the team’s front office more than 20 years ago.

“I worked for a man named Al Davis, who you were not allowed to trade any player to the division or a player to any team on your schedule, so that was eliminated,” Lombardi said Friday on the “Pat McAfee Show.”

“But in this case, to me, they (the Bills) had an opportunity to take a deal from New England. New England was in high-speed pursuit of Worthy. They wanted Worthy badly. They were making calls to get that pick. And Buffalo had them on the phone. And so was Kansas City.

“And I think if you’re Brandon Beane you have to sit there and say, ‘Yeah, maybe Kansas City offered me a lot more but why would I give Worthy to them, who’s a weapon, who could be the next Tyreek Hill for them?”

Lombardi noted that Worthy is 5 foot 11 and 165 pounds, but Lombardi believes Chiefs coach Andy Reid can get the most out of the rookie.

Lombardi said the Bills should have made a deal with the Patriots, even if New England didn’t offer as much as the Chiefs. He recounted the Bills’ painful postseason losses to the Chiefs.

“Why am I doing anything to help the Chiefs?” Lombardi asked. “Especially since I lost to them with 13 seconds, I missed a 44-yard field goal to send the game to overtime. I haven’t been able to get through that door to get to where I need to go to, so I don’t understand that. I would have been more than happy to give him to the Patriots who (are) working on a new regime.”

Lombardi was asked more about New England being the team that the Chiefs beat out for Worthy.

“They were on the phone with them,” he said. “That’s fact. ... New England made a substantial offer to them, and they took the Chiefs’ offer. I don’t know if the Chiefs’ offer was substantially more than the Patriots. ... The Patriots wanted Worthy. That’s a fact. And they tried to get him.”

Interesting.  I'm still baffled why they would trade with us.  I think they wanted to show that they aren't concerned or don't care but with their history if this comes back to bite them how can you navigate another blunder to the same team and keep your job.

31 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

who'd the Bills pick with those draft picks

They traded back again out of the first with the Panthers and took Keon Coleman top of 2.

With the 3rd rd trade up pick 95 from us took Dewayne Carter, a decent looking DT from Duke.

Rd 7 pick 221 took an OG from international pathway program.

We got back Worthy, pick 133 Jaden Hicks S and pick 248 C.J. Hanson OG holy cross.

I actually liked the players they took but still...

It was a no win for the Bills... if they trade with NE they're trading with a division rival. If the trade with KC they're trading with a conference rival. 

Obviously the Bills didn't have anyone in that slot they thought would address their needs. So they traded and got a little more bang for their buck. It ain't like NE would have given them a shitpile more... maybe a slightly better deal but who knows. Obviously the Bills were more comfortable with the Chiefs offer, which is why they accepted it.

13 hours ago, mex said:

Speaking of contracts... how much do the agents typically make on a contract? I've always wondered. 

Found this but it's four years old.  Don't know if the 3% is after expenses or not. .

According to Chron.com, sports agents make between 4-10% of a player’s contract. This dips slightly for the NFL, however, where rules prohibit agents from taking home more than a 3% commission of the player’s salary. The agent’s final take home depends on the contract, which in the NFL can range anywhere from $60,000 to millions of dollars. 

Agents can also make up to 10-20% of endorsement contracts they negotiate for clients as well. It’s a job that can certainly pay well, but it doesn’t come without long hours and hard work.

19 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Found this but it's four years old.  Don't know if the 3% is after expenses or not. .

According to Chron.com, sports agents make between 4-10% of a player’s contract. This dips slightly for the NFL, however, where rules prohibit agents from taking home more than a 3% commission of the player’s salary. The agent’s final take home depends on the contract, which in the NFL can range anywhere from $60,000 to millions of dollars. 

Agents can also make up to 10-20% of endorsement contracts they negotiate for clients as well. It’s a job that can certainly pay well, but it doesn’t come without long hours and hard work.

I believe the agent's cut comes out first

2 hours ago, xen said:

I believe the agent's cut comes out first

That would make sense.  I also assumed that the 3% was net.  Some of the stuff I read, accuracy not verified, said some expenses got pretty big.  The phrase "final take home" would mean the agent's net.  

• 2 weeks later...