Chris Harris Jr. says he would end retirement to play with Chiefs

BY PETE GRATHOFF

UPDATED JUNE 06, 2024 9:46 AM

Former Kansas star Chris Harris Jr. announced his retirement earlier this spring after 12 seasons in the NFL, and he gave a nod to Broncos fans.

“Broncos Country ... was definitely an amazing place to play, to have my career there, play nine years and y’all have been so good to me and my family,” Harris said, per CBS News. “I just want to thank y’all for all your support, especially in the community. Things that we do in the community, we still there, we still doing a lot of things, but you continue to support. So, I just want to thank you for that.”

Broncos fans probably loved Harris’ sentiment, but they may not like hearing what Harris had to say earlier this week.

While on “Up & Adams,” Harris was asked if he would consider ending his retirement to join a team. One that appeals to Harris is the two-time defending Super Bowl champion Chiefs.

“Definitely I could go play with the Eagles. You know, they already have a veteran secondary. I know (former Denver coach Vic) Fangio’s system. I can learn it really fast if he’s added anything new and then you know I’m a veteran corner so I definitely think I could go out there and fit with those guys,” Harris said. “Also. if they need some nickel work, go on there and play some nickel work, but I think that would be a good fit.

“Chiefs, of course, you know them already having all the pieces, just going in there and ... being that last piece in the back end. I definitely think that I can help there. So, you know, it’s definitely some places that definitely could use a veteran presence.”

Harris went on to mention the Houston Texans, too.

“I know I can still cover these tight ends,” added Harris, a four-time Pro Bowl player. “If I got that call, you know, I might have to pull out of retirement for sure.”

Adams told Harris the Chiefs should be the one team he wouldn’t talk about joining because of his long tenure with Denver.

“Hey, I’m just saying what team would fit better at this time, that’s in a win-right-now (mode)?” Harris said. “You know, my Broncos now, give us like four years when (rookie quarterback) Bo Nix is ready, then it would have been perfect timing.”