Question: Coaching turnover

I believe this is a bigger deal, than most think, as I do not remember any other back-to-back Superbowl winner approaching the season with their staff intact. I believe this gives us the best chance of a three peat in NFL history. 

20 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Had Spags not had that bad HC run on his resume I think he would have been looked at very closely the past two years.  

He should have been gone after last season. His scheme is difficult, but very effective. All defenses rely on talent, but he relies on smart LBs and secondary. Disguised blitzes aren't easy to pull off... and they won the post season because of them.

TBH that's why I'm a little concerned about losing Gay. It seems they have a ton of confidence in the Tranquilizer... he did pretty well when Gay was injured. 

But yeah, we're lucky teams seem to be hesitant on hiring him as HC... and I'm selfishly ok with that.

2 hours ago, mex said:

He should have been gone after last season. His scheme is difficult, but very effective. All defenses rely on talent, but he relies on smart LBs and secondary. Disguised blitzes aren't easy to pull off... and they won the post season because of them.

TBH that's why I'm a little concerned about losing Gay. It seems they have a ton of confidence in the Tranquilizer... he did pretty well when Gay was injured. 

But yeah, we're lucky teams seem to be hesitant on hiring him as HC... and I'm selfishly ok with that.

There's been a lot of really good coordinators that were poor head coaches.  It is a different skill set.  Buddy Ryan, Norv Turner, Josh McDaniels, Bill Arnsbarger, Romeo and Spags to name a few.  Maybe Spags has learned from Andy, but I can see how a 64 year old coach with a .212 winning percentage would be a scary hire.

On 7/14/2024 at 9:39 AM, West said:

Not sure, but I think everyone agrees that the Chiefs keeping their coaches was a very big deal.

Absolutely.  As a matter of fact, I predict Toub will an under-recognized hero this season.  With the changes in the kicking game and return game, he is likely to figure it out better and sooner than any other ST coaches and will play a huge role this season.  Predictions for the teams are almost totally ignoring the influence of Toub at taking advantage of what the new rules offer. But you are right about keeping the other coaching staff mostly intact. It is a huge advantage for the Chiefs.