Training camp thread

8 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Curious who this board would prefer if it came down to signing one of the following two?   Trey Smith or Nick Bolton.  Both very good but probably not elite players, respectively.   Do either have a higher ceiling than what they have shown?   I think most of us assumed Creed would get done because of the lower cost of retaining centers and Trey would walk, but this info from Nate seems to show the Chiefs want to get both done this year.   Gotta think Smith wants top dollar considering he fell to the 6th in the draft and hasn't made nearly what his play is worth so far.  To be honest its an interesting debate as neither are premium positions and both will want north of 15 million with Smith likely to get north of 20 million.  Continuity is important but is that price point worth it?  What say you?

I like both players, but i would lean to Trey Smith because of who he protects.

Reid has a contract thru 2028 and ends after the SB in 2029. Do you think they are seeing if Gruden would come in, repair whatever it is he needs to do and be a coach in waiting? Special coach consultant or something? Seems a bit long to wait unless Andy calls it earlier.

Along with Humphrey and Smith, the Chiefs also want to sign linebacker Nick Bolton (entering the last year of his rookie contract) and kicker Harrison Butker (entering the final year of his contract) to multiyear extensions.

“They are three really good players and they’re fantastic people,” Veach said of Humphrey, Smith and Bolton. “Throughout this camp, hopefully, we’re able to get more than one done. It’s just going to be a systematic approach and exchange of communication. We would want nothing more than for them to be here (long term) and I’m sure they would want nothing more than to be here.”

It appears the Chiefs’ top priority is to see if they can continue to provide elite protection for Mahomes by retaining the services of Humphrey and Smith.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2024/8/6/24213900/arrowheadlines-chiefs-will-look-for-another-hot-start-to-separate-from-rival

4 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

I like both players, but i would lean to Trey Smith because of who he protects.

I think Smith would be easier to replace.  Not saying he isn't just as important to winning, but there are O-line out there who could step in.  Bolton's replacement would have a longer learning curve.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

I think Smith would be easier to replace.  Not saying he isn't just as important to winning, but there are O-line out there who could step in.  Bolton's replacement would have a longer learning curve.  

I'm thinking along the same lines.  We've drafted backup OLine for several years, I would fully expect that Heck has one of them ready to step into the starting line up, if needed (Alegretti, anyone?).  

I would choose Bolton over Smith, just because of the tremendous value Bolton brings to the entire defense.  However, he has said he doesn't want to talk contract until after this year.  He has an "injury prone" label to disprove, and if he has another year like his first two - not hurt, top 3 in tackles - he will command a lot more $$ than what he'd get now out of KC.  I don't blame him one bit for betting on himself.

If we did lose Bolton (and I hope we don't), Tranquil could be in the new starting MLB, but I don't think that position is fully playing to his strengths.  He's a hell of an insurance policy, though.

1 hour ago, Boone said:

I'm thinking along the same lines.  We've drafted backup OLine for several years, I would fully expect that Heck has one of them ready to step into the starting line up, if needed (Alegretti, anyone?).  

I would choose Bolton over Smith, just because of the tremendous value Bolton brings to the entire defense.  However, he has said he doesn't want to talk contract until after this year.  He has an "injury prone" label to disprove, and if he has another year like his first two - not hurt, top 3 in tackles - he will command a lot more $$ than what he'd get now out of KC.  I don't blame him one bit for betting on himself.

If we did lose Bolton (and I hope we don't), Tranquil could be in the new starting MLB, but I don't think that position is fully playing to his strengths.  He's a hell of an insurance policy, though.

If Willie Gay became available next year for what he's getting now, would you bring him back?  Inconsistent, but he made a few great plays nearly every game.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

If Willie Gay became available next year for what he's getting now, would you bring him back?  Inconsistent, but he made a few great plays nearly every game.  

I loved cheering for Willie, because of those crazy dynamic plays he'd pull off. Honestly, though, bringing him back would depend on the development of Cam Jones, Cochrane, and Christiansen this year. And I'd only consider it if we lost Bolton - because if Bolton gets a new contract in KC, then the starting 3 LBs are still set, with backups cheaper than Willie Gay in place. Gotta go cheap in some places to balance out paying your stars. 

10 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Reid has a contract thru 2028 and ends after the SB in 2029. Do you think they are seeing if Gruden would come in, repair whatever it is he needs to do and be a coach in waiting? Special coach consultant or something? Seems a bit long to wait unless Andy calls it earlier.

I don't want anything to do with Jon Gruden.  The NFL has passed him by.  He and Mayock did nothing but draft first round bust after first round bust for half a decade before the NFL decided to let him take the fall for some crude emails.   I think he is destined for the booth.

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

I think Tranquil could step in without much a drop off and he is signed for next year.  

Priority list imo

Creed

Smith

Bolton

I think resigning Bolton and possibly Smith might be a mistake long term or limit our ability to address other needs down the road.  I worry that signing top of the market contracts for positions of lower importance isn't prudent especially when those players aren't the top of their positions.  Smith isn't even a top 15 guard in the league and I don't think Bolton is a top 10 LB either.  They deserve to be paid but I think we would be wise to avoid paying them top of the market.  

14 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I think Tranquil could step in without much a drop off and he is signed for next year.  

Priority list imo

Creed

Smith

Bolton

I think resigning Bolton and possibly Smith might be a mistake long term or limit our ability to address other needs down the road.  I worry that signing top of the market contracts for positions of lower importance isn't prudent especially when those players aren't the top of their positions.  Smith isn't even a top 15 guard in the league and I don't think Bolton is a top 10 LB either.  They deserve to be paid but I think we would be wise to avoid paying them top of the market.  

Tranquil could stop in for Bolton, but then who would take Tranquil's old spot?  Right now, the Chiefs have three proven starters at LB and Cam Jones hasn't proven himself as a replacement yet.  

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

Tranquil could stop in for Bolton, but then who would take Tranquil's old spot?  Right now, the Chiefs have three proven starters at LB and Cam Jones hasn't proven himself as a replacement yet.  

FA or the draft.  Neither would cost the 14-16 million that Bolton will demand as a FA.  Shoot we could bring back Gay.  Tranquil and Gay combined would be less APY than Bolton himself.  I don't hate Bolton and he is an important piece to this D but he is limited and you don't pay top of the market for a 2 down thumper no matter how smart he is.

3 hours ago, bamaroyal said:

As for the WR group, does anyone think we keep Ross over KT?

I sure hope so.

I don't expect either of them to make it. Preseason could change my mind, though. 

My yearly question in this thread is, Who Is the Samkon Gado, Dexter McCluster or Bobby Sippio of this year? 
Training Camp darling? 
I’m going with Remigio #27 this year. But the guy who is going to blow up in the preseason is going to Rees Lightning #9. Oh and long time no see. GCG. 

4 hours ago, Boone said:

I don't expect either of them to make it. Preseason could change my mind, though. 

I heard today that neither Moore or Toney has really done much so far in camp to think they could have a chance to make the final roster

14 hours ago, gochiefsgo said:

My yearly question in this thread is, Who Is the Samkon Gado, Dexter McCluster or Bobby Sippio of this year? 
Training Camp darling? 
I’m going with Remigio #27 this year. But the guy who is going to blow up in the preseason is going to Rees Lightning #9. Oh and long time no see. GCG. 

LRZ?

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

LRZ?

LRZ has gotten the publicity, but there's not much talk about him lighting it up so far.  Rimigio has been this year's camp darling up to this point.  Worthy gets everyone excited but that's expected from the #1 pick.  

Second-year wide receiver Nikko Remigio has gained a cult following during the Kansas City Chiefs' training camp in St. Joseph and will get a chance to put his talents on display this weekend when the defending champions face the Jacksonville Jaguars in preseason action.

Though Remigio isn't the most physically dominant pass-catcher, his ability to find open space against defenders and come down with difficult catches would make him a natural fit in Andy Reid's offense this season.

The Fresno State product has been making his case for a spot on Kansas City's 53-man roster.

While Remigio's performance at training camp has been superb, his future with the Chiefs is anything but certain heading into Kansas City's first preseason exhibition.

If he can translate his success on the practice field into a stellar performance against Jacksonville on Saturday, Remigio may be able to overtake Skyy Morre or Justyn Ross on the Chiefs' unofficial depth chart.

Chiefs Wire

Kadarius Toney tumbles to bottom of Chiefs' unofficial depth chart

The Kansas City Chiefs may decide to move on from veteran wide receiver Kadarius Toney after their three-game preseason schedule.

On the team's unofficial depth chart, which was released on Tuesday, Toney currently sits in a fourth-string role behind free-agent addition Marquise 'Hollywood' Brown, and under returning veterans Skyy Moore and Mecole Hardman.

Training camp standouts Justyn Ross and Nikko Remigio would also be set to overtake Toney for a spot on the Chiefs' 53-man roster,