ST. JOSEPH

Two years ago, at this exact location inside a tent next to the Chiefs training camp practice fields, Chiefs owner Clark Hunt openly discussed his preference to stay long-term at a renovated Arrowhead Stadium.

Following a Jackson County failed stadium vote in April, though — along with the state of Kansas working to woo the team — Hunt’s message was different Monday when speaking about his future stadium hopes with reporters.

“We’re really approaching it with an open mind. We don’t have a desired outcome,” Hunt said. “We just have to find a solution that works for the community, and something that works for the club.”

Chiefs team president Mark Donovan stressed the gravity of the situation last week. He repeatedly stated that the organization would prefer to finalize its stadium plans in the next six months, with the team’s lease

Hunt reiterated that the decision was “an urgent issue that we’ve got to find a solution for in the near term.”

“I know from having been through a few stadium efforts that they’re slow-moving and unpredictable,” Hunt said. “So to say we’ll be able to get to the finish line in six months is probably optimistic, but we would like to make some progress.”

What type of stadium will the Chiefs choose? And where will it be?

Hunt didn’t tip his hand Monday, saying the team was glad to have many options available while looking forward to talks with “leaders on both sides of the state line.”

He also left open one rarely discussed possibility: a new Chiefs stadium in Missouri. Though the previously failed Jackson County tax would’ve remodeled Arrowhead Stadium, a future plan could involve brand new construction; Hunt said the team “certainly would have to look at a dome” if it went that direction.

“I do think a renovated Arrowhead would be a very good solution,” Hunt said, “but also think a new stadium, and what that could bring to the community in terms of really big events, I think that could be really valuable.”

Perhaps most important to local fans: Hunt does not seem interested in moving the Chiefs outside the Kansas City area. When asked if the team might consider other locations, Hunt spoke about the team’s special connection with the community and fanbase.

“Our focus is very much on finding a solution here in the metropolitan area,” he said.

Hunt said much of the team’s stadium evaluation over the next few months will focus on whether renovation or building new is better. And while Arrowhead Stadium holds particular sentimental value for him — his father, Chiefs founder Lamar Hunt, often said Arrowhead Stadium was his favorite place on earth — Clark said the team must look to what’s best for the franchise and local vicinity.

I had a bunch of season-ticket holders come up to me today to share how special Arrowhead is with them, and we know that,” Hunt said. “But we do have to look to the future. And potentially having a new building, whether it’s on the Missouri or Kansas side, may make the most sense.”

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

I am hearing that along with the move to Kansas a name change may be happening to get rid of the offensive "Chiefs".   Apparently they are giving strong consideration to Kansas City Jayhawks. I hope they keep Chiefs, but either way is pretty cool.

The goal is not to make it more offensive.

19 minutes ago, xen said:

The goal is not to make it more offensive.

And one to make you gag too. Gross. If they go with a name change, it will have to reflect our logo and colors. A Chiefs inspiration name. I don't want this, I want other indigenous people to speak up. Chiefs is not offensive. It is a term for a leader. Hell we call our warrant officers,Chief, in the Army. I would be proud to have the opportunity to have be named after a franchise. Now redskin was an offensive term. I never heard anyone called chief and be appalled by it. I would like to hear the opinions of the name change when or if it comes to this. Something either cool with our logo now or go in a totally different direction and be new all together.  Don't regurgitate a team name already in use.

54 minutes ago, xen said:

It was a joke.  2 jokes actually.  Can we calm down and keep that shit in the lockeroom.   

Maybe read the room

Yeah, reading the words is not reading a room.

• 1 month later...

There will be no vote this fall on a Chiefs-only sales tax measure.

By a vote of 5 to 4, Jackson County legislators on Monday defeated an ordinance that would have put a quarter-cent sales tax measure on the November general election ballot. Legislature Manny Abarca sponsored the ordinance that called for a tax that would last 20 years and benefit the Chiefs alone.

The proposal had been on the agenda for weeks in various forms and was never the subject of hearing or wide-ranging discussion on its implications. The Chiefs did not support it.

Tuesday is the deadline for putting things on the fall ballot. Had it been approved, County Executive Frank White Jr. could have blocked it by refusing to sign it into law before that deadline.

Jackson County voters rejected a 3/8th-cent stadiums sales tax in April that would have helped pay for renovations to Arrowhead Stadiums for the Chiefs and pay for a portion of the cost of building a new Royals stadium in the Crossroads district near downtown Kansas City.