Creed signed to huge long term deal

Creed Humphrey agrees to extension that makes him the highest-paid center

Published August 22, 2024

The Chiefs and center Creed Humphrey have agreed to teams on a contract extension, and Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports it will make Humphrey the league’s highest-paid center.

Detroit’s Frank Ragnow previously topped the list in annual average at $13.5 million and guaranteed money at $42 million.

Humphrey was scheduled to make a $4.815 million base salary in the final year of his rookie deal.

His four-year, $72 million extension includes $50 million guaranteed, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

Humphrey has made the Pro Bowl the past two seasons and was second-team All-Pro in 2022.

He has never missed a game, starting all 51 possible games since the Chiefs drafted him in the second round.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Creed Humphrey became the highest-paid center in NFL history by agreeing to a four-year contract extension with the Kansas City Chiefs worth $72 million, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported.

The contract includes $50 million in guarantees.

Humphrey, 25, joined the Chiefs in 2021 as a second-round draft pick from Oklahoma and immediately became a starter. He has been a solid pass protector. In 2023, he ranked second among the NFL's interior offensive linemen in pass block win rate at 98.8%. Ahead of him was his Chiefs teammate, guard Joe Thuney.

The Chiefs' other starting guard, Trey Smith, is entering the final season of his contract. Smith, who came to the Chiefs in the same draft as Humphrey, was third in pass block win rate at 96.6%

Now to get Smith and/or Bolton. The way Veach does the cap space, I am sure he will leave a good amount for next year too. He is getting ahead of it all, then forcing those other teams to over pay themselves too.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Wow he just blew the center market up

$13.5/year tops boosted up to $18 million/yr. is quite a boost.  Wonder why the Chiefs had to go so high but I trust that Veach knows what was required. 

9 hours ago, jetlord said:

$13.5/year tops boosted up to $18 million/yr. is quite a boost.  Wonder why the Chiefs had to go so high but I trust that Veach knows what was required. 

Agents talk... there are other deals in the works across the league that I'm sure played into it. Veach knows. 

It's highly likely Patrick had some say in it as well.

There are plenty of details in that contract that have to be looked at.

RGR had a discussion on it late last night.     Trey may still be a Chief if he wants to be a Chief.....

Solid work on Creed and yes, I am sure MVPat had a say....RGR looked at Chris Jones Cap Hit and Pat's Cap hit next year and agreed they could easily restructure to afford Bolton or Trey.....Time will tell.

14 hours ago, jetlord said:

these guys have been busting their asses in the trenches for the last few seasons , i consider the boost to be a reward for lack of a better word.

2 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

these guys have been busting their asses in the trenches for the last few seasons , i consider the boost to be a reward for lack of a better word.

No doubt, but with the salary cap, not every player can be rewarded that much.  Guess that means Thuney is gone after this season for sure and Taylor after the next one.  I really hope they can extend Smith as well.  He makes a great combination with Creed on the interior.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

No doubt, but with the salary cap, not every player can be rewarded that much.  Guess that means Thuney is gone after this season for sure and Taylor after the next one.  I really hope they can extend Smith as well.  He makes a great combination with Creed on the interior.

Thuney and Taylor are being counted as gone imo with their drafts lately and how they are grooming others. Thise savings will help us a lot.

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Thuney and Taylor are being counted as gone imo with their drafts lately and how they are grooming others. Thise savings will help us a lot.

Nourzad would seem to be the replacement for Thuney, but he's been playing a lot of OC in the pre-season.  Some talking head, probably Matt Derrick, said he looked better at LG than at the other interior positions.  Haven't heard much about the seventh round pick.  (Hansen ?)

21 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Nourzad would seem to be the replacement for Thuney, but he's been playing a lot of OC in the pre-season.  Some talking head, probably Matt Derrick, said he looked better at LG than at the other interior positions.  Haven't heard much about the seventh round pick.  (Hansen ?)

Might have Morris go to RT and see what shakes out at LG then? 

On 8/22/2024 at 10:54 PM, jetlord said:

Read he wanted guard money.  Ragnows contract was done around Covid (or at least that’s what kcsn said this morning on their podcast) so the market was bound to jump quickly.  With that said, we need to wait for the details but 3/52 is 16.6 a year which is more manageable but 18 is probably what he is worth.  Dude is a stud. 

So the deal is reported as 4/72 but this early that's gonna be all agent releases.  Once the numbers come out we'll see but I bet kc sees this deal more in the range of 5/77, factoring in the current year at 5 mil, which is about 15.4 per.

Can't wait to see the numbers.  I would bet the big jump in salary is pushed off to 2026 when the cap space really opens up for us.