Some thoughts on position groups

QB- We got Mahomes, best ever, Wentz is an upgrade over Gabbert. In fact Gabbert was probably the worst of him, wentz, matt moore, and henne at the backup QB spot. Overall we are better here than last season

RB- Overall i think we are slightly worse here. Pacheho with some more mileage on his legs, and no more mckinnon, CEH looks worse than ever. However Steele should be an upgrade at RB2 compared to last season. I think we are the same at RB1 and RB2 this season, but worse at rb3, look for free agent signings at this group.

WR- Much better than last year, even with Hollywood injurred.

TE- Better than last year. Kelce is going into the season healty, and Wiley should offer more at TE2 than we got last year.

O line - I think we upgraded at LT. Remains to be seen how Thuney will recover and how Jawaan will play at RT this season. Overall i think our starting lineup should be the same or better, but our depth is very poor this season, we dont' have an allegretti to come in and play at starter level.

DT - As per the usual this is our worst position group, and thats with having Chris Jones, the best DT in the league on the roster. We better hope mike pennel plays well this year, he is very up and down. That is why is was so maddening they brought back Nnadi, its like they didn't even try to uprade next to Jones. Look for free agent signings here after cuts.

DE- I love danna, always have, and karloftis is a very solid high motor guy. outside of that im worried. I believe harring is our 3rd best DE on the roster with Omenihu being injurred. If Omenihu was healthy i wouldn't be worried, but with him being a total unknown for the season i expect the chiefs to sign a veteren DE if one comes available. I have less than zero faith in FAU. Overall this group is worse than last season given the Omenihu injury.

CB - All off season I had zero concerns here, but given that watson seems to have fallen off a cliff i do have slight concerns now. Spags always seems to dial up CB friendly schemes given his blitzing and chris jones total dominance, but this group is clearly worse than last season. I do think not bringing back sneed was the right call, but figuring out who will replace him might take some time. I expect Chamari Connor will get a lot of look at this outside CB spot, rather than him playing safety, which he did last season. I am not worried about CB, just think there will be some growing pains.

Safety - very strong here, i think we will be as good or better than last season.

Linebacker - Clearly worse here without having the extra depth Willie Gay added, but i still think this is a very strong position group for us. Tranquill is god tier, Chenal is a freak athelete, Bolton is solid, and Cochrane seems like a serviceable backup. I am on the record saying i hope this is Boltons last year in KC, but i expect him to play solid as per usual.

Kicker - Butker looks as good as ever.

Punter - I believe we massively upgraded here. i was NOT a fan of Townsend, and Araiza seems to have a much stronger leg as well as not being an idiot booting the ball into the endzone for no apparent reason. I also think Butker seems more comfortable with Araiza as the holder.

Overall i think this roster is slightly better than last season Given the massive upgrade at WR, slight upgrade at TE, and the position groups that are worse should still be league average at the worst with upside to improve a lot during the season.

Potential Surprise Camp cuts - CEH, Jaylen Watson, FAU, Nnadi, Niang

I doubt they cut CEH, they seem to like him, but if they see some RB's they like get cut in camp its on the table, of course Hardman and Toney are possible WR cuts but that should be expected.

I think Donovan Smith coming back on a cheap deal as a backup OT is still on the table, but he is most likely waiting for a starter to be injurred. 

Keep an eye out for the chiefs to bring in players cut from other teams at DT, DE, RB, and a sneaky player is Jeff Okudah at CB. Former #3 overall pick that is a bust, but its exactly the type of flyer Veach likes to make.

OL- Keep Driscoll and Niang as back up tackles. I like Driscoll a lot as a swing guy. Move Morris to Guard as the back up to both sides. Norvad s as the back up center and guard guy. I think we are good on back ups. Not a fan of Caliendo, like to see him cut. In fact I would keep Hanson over him too. As a guard and center back up. 

DL- it blows my mind they just ignore DT every year. And keep bringing back Nnadi. I would cut Nnadi and let Lovett be the back up NT to Pennel. Let Wharton and Dickerson back up Jones. Then guys like Danna, Herring, and Karlaftis can rotate in at DT on passing downs. Having Omenihu and Thompson would have been nice. But u bet we see Chanel kick down on passing downs. 

18 minutes ago, Palangi said:

OL- Keep Driscoll and Niang as back up tackles. I like Driscoll a lot as a swing guy. Move Morris to Guard as the back up to both sides. Norvad s as the back up center and guard guy. I think we are good on back ups. Not a fan of Caliendo, like to see him cut. In fact I would keep Hanson over him too. As a guard and center back up. 

DL- it blows my mind they just ignore DT every year. And keep bringing back Nnadi. I would cut Nnadi and let Lovett be the back up NT to Pennel. Let Wharton and Dickerson back up Jones. Then guys like Danna, Herring, and Karlaftis can rotate in at DT on passing downs. Having Omenihu and Thompson would have been nice. But u bet we see Chanel kick down on passing downs. 

yea by resigning CJ they just ignore it..maybe they just dont see good value come draft day he was pick 37 after all

No way they are cutting Watson.  

5 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

QB- We got Mahomes, best ever, Wentz is an upgrade over Gabbert. In fact Gabbert was probably the worst of him, wentz, matt moore, and henne at the backup QB spot. Overall we are better here than last season

RB- Overall i think we are slightly worse here. Pacheho with some more mileage on his legs, and no more mckinnon, CEH looks worse than ever. However Steele should be an upgrade at RB2 compared to last season. I think we are the same at RB1 and RB2 this season, but worse at rb3, look for free agent signings at this group.

WR- Much better than last year, even with Hollywood injurred.

TE- Better than last year. Kelce is going into the season healty, and Wiley should offer more at TE2 than we got last year.

O line - I think we upgraded at LT. Remains to be seen how Thuney will recover and how Jawaan will play at RT this season. Overall i think our starting lineup should be the same or better, but our depth is very poor this season, we dont' have an allegretti to come in and play at starter level.

DT - As per the usual this is our worst position group, and thats with having Chris Jones, the best DT in the league on the roster. We better hope mike pennel plays well this year, he is very up and down. That is why is was so maddening they brought back Nnadi, its like they didn't even try to uprade next to Jones. Look for free agent signings here after cuts.

DE- I love danna, always have, and karloftis is a very solid high motor guy. outside of that im worried. I believe harring is our 3rd best DE on the roster with Omenihu being injurred. If Omenihu was healthy i wouldn't be worried, but with him being a total unknown for the season i expect the chiefs to sign a veteren DE if one comes available. I have less than zero faith in FAU. Overall this group is worse than last season given the Omenihu injury.

CB - All off season I had zero concerns here, but given that watson seems to have fallen off a cliff i do have slight concerns now. Spags always seems to dial up CB friendly schemes given his blitzing and chris jones total dominance, but this group is clearly worse than last season. I do think not bringing back sneed was the right call, but figuring out who will replace him might take some time. I expect Chamari Connor will get a lot of look at this outside CB spot, rather than him playing safety, which he did last season. I am not worried about CB, just think there will be some growing pains.

Safety - very strong here, i think we will be as good or better than last season.

Linebacker - Clearly worse here without having the extra depth Willie Gay added, but i still think this is a very strong position group for us. Tranquill is god tier, Chenal is a freak athelete, Bolton is solid, and Cochrane seems like a serviceable backup. I am on the record saying i hope this is Boltons last year in KC, but i expect him to play solid as per usual.

Kicker - Butker looks as good as ever.

Punter - I believe we massively upgraded here. i was NOT a fan of Townsend, and Araiza seems to have a much stronger leg as well as not being an idiot booting the ball into the endzone for no apparent reason. I also think Butker seems more comfortable with Araiza as the holder.

Overall i think this roster is slightly better than last season Given the massive upgrade at WR, slight upgrade at TE, and the position groups that are worse should still be league average at the worst with upside to improve a lot during the season.

Potential Surprise Camp cuts - CEH, Jaylen Watson, FAU, Nnadi, Niang

I doubt they cut CEH, they seem to like him, but if they see some RB's they like get cut in camp its on the table, of course Hardman and Toney are possible WR cuts but that should be expected.

I think Donovan Smith coming back on a cheap deal as a backup OT is still on the table, but he is most likely waiting for a starter to be injurred. 

Keep an eye out for the chiefs to bring in players cut from other teams at DT, DE, RB, and a sneaky player is Jeff Okudah at CB. Former #3 overall pick that is a bust, but its exactly the type of flyer Veach likes to make.

No way they are cutting CEH or Jaylen or FAU.  Doubt they are going to cut CEH when he's dealing with personal issues.  He is a clubhouse favorite and Mahomes loves him on a personal level.  I think they try and IR him with the mental issues he is dealing with.  

Doubtful on Nnadi getting cut.

Niang is another matter.  

Agree we are a slightly better overall roster.  I do think the slight step back on D will be offset by a big step forward on O.   I could see the O returning to the O we say with Hill, Watkins and Kelce at best and at worst a better more potent version of the 2022 O.  The D won't drop off much best cast and worst case will be better than 2019 SB winning D.   

I think we will be scouring the waiverwire for DT, DE, CB, RB, and interior Oline.  Not saying we will sign all of those but I can definitely see us grabbing a DE, CB, and RB.

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

No way they are cutting Watson.  

No way they are cutting CEH or Jaylen or FAU.  Doubt they are going to cut CEH when he's dealing with personal issues.  He is a clubhouse favorite and Mahomes loves him on a personal level.  I think they try and IR him with the mental issues he is dealing with.  

Doubtful on Nnadi getting cut.

Niang is another matter.  

Agree we are a slightly better overall roster.  I do think the slight step back on D will be offset by a big step forward on O.   I could see the O returning to the O we say with Hill, Watkins and Kelce at best and at worst a better more potent version of the 2022 O.  The D won't drop off much best cast and worst case will be better than 2019 SB winning D.   

I think we will be scouring the waiverwire for DT, DE, CB, RB, and interior Oline.  Not saying we will sign all of those but I can definitely see us grabbing a DE, CB, and RB.

A DT would do wonders for the defense. Get that guy to replace Nnadi or Pennel. We need a good guy in place for 1 year. There will be a surprise cut of an aging vet that will want a ring and can give us his all for a year or 2. We really need to get a drafted guy next year or develop one this year. I know omenihu is coming back, but when and how long for him to get in game shape? I really hoped Lovett would show something.

2 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Most players of note will be last second cuts as teams try to trade them for late round picks. Which is what i assume the chiefs are doing with toney, hardman, skyy moore etc

i know that, just pretty meh so far