Derrick Thomas or Chris Jones

Love CJ. But he isn't a Legend, being overshadowed by Pat. 

DT soundly is. His record for 7 sacks in a game STILL holds. And what more, if you watched that game, the dude could have had 10 sacks that game. The QB slipped out of his grasp on one of the last plays. CHIEFS lost that game LOL

On 9/3/2024 at 10:19 PM, jetlord said:

Waiting for Reese to ask us to choose between Junior Siavii and Ryan Sims.  

You got to admit that Junior Siavii could rock a spit hood like no other.

Shit, I see that I did miss the Reese thread on this topic!

Edited by bamaroyal
Reese is too fast for me.

On 9/3/2024 at 6:04 PM, xen said:

We don't have 3 out of the last 5, nor are we trying for a 3peat, without CJ.  He remains criminally underrated with Chiefs fans.

It's a bad comparison, TBH. Two totally different skillsets... 45 lb weight differential.

Chris Jones will get his sacks, 9-10 per season as compared to 11-12 with DT... but Jones will disrupt the run game big time.

Much as I loved DT... he was purely an edge guy... he had one role that he was excellent at, but it was a narrow, specialized role. We all remember Shanahan taking advantage by running right at him... culminating in an embarrassing MNF game with Sharpe's smack getting the best of him.

Both are/were excellent players but IMO Jones is a more important contributor to the team because he can disrupt every play.

23 hours ago, Xavier said:

Love CJ. But he isn't a Legend, being overshadowed by Pat. 

DT soundly is. His record for 7 sacks in a game STILL holds. And what more, if you watched that game, the dude could have had 10 sacks that game. The QB slipped out of his grasp on one of the last plays. CHIEFS lost that game LOL

CJ isn't a legend?

Dude is unstoppable.  Case in point, just blowing up the Ravens line last night from multiple spots.  Dude had pressures everywhere from the interior to a wide 9.  DUDE was playing a wide alignment at his size?  Nobody does that.

2 hours ago, mex said:

It's a bad comparison, TBH. Two totally different skillsets... 45 lb weight differential.

Chris Jones will get his sacks, 9-10 per season as compared to 11-12 with DT... but Jones will disrupt the run game big time.

Much as I loved DT... he was purely an edge guy... he had one role that he was excellent at, but it was a narrow, specialized role. We all remember Shanahan taking advantage by running right at him... culminating in an embarrassing MNF game with Sharpe's smack getting the best of him.

Both are/were excellent players but IMO Jones is a more important contributor to the team because he can disrupt every play.

Excellent points all. 

No offensive coordinator’s game plan includes running straight at CJ.

He’s the best Chiefs DT since Buck Buchanan. And, before Pat went legend on the last drive, he was last year’s SB MVP. 

On 9/4/2024 at 7:47 AM, Okiechief1 said:

CJ

This is probably wrong and won't sit well with most of you, but I was a bit concerned that C-J looked a little slower to me and more winded after plays.  I noticed his shortness of breath and use of the oxygen mask after coming off the field a couple of times last year.  He is still phenomenal but used a little less, which is good.  Father time starts to catch up with us evern at age 30 when playing with the intensity that CJ does. Still, he is incredible and will be for most of the rest of his current contract.

8 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

This is probably wrong and won't sit well with most of you, but I was a bit concerned that C-J looked a little slower to me and more winded after plays.  I noticed his shortness of breath and use of the oxygen mask after coming off the field a couple of times last year.  He is still phenomenal but used a little less, which is good.  Father time starts to catch up with us evern at age 30 when playing with the intensity that CJ does. Still, he is incredible and will be for most of the rest of his current contract.

it was 90 degrees and he's 300 lbs.. there is no shape that allows for not being what you observed

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

it was 90 degrees and he's 300 lbs.. there is no shape that allows for not being what you observed

Just comparing it with his earlier years.  I know a little something about ageing, just like you, OT.  "It ain't for sissies," as they say.

18 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I commented to the Mrs. that Jones looked gassed on that last drive, but then so did the whole defense.  They were very similar to the Niners D in overtime in the last SB.  Cooler weather and better endurance as the season goes on should help.  

2 hours ago, xen said:

CJ isn't a legend?

Dude is unstoppable.  Case in point, just blowing up the Ravens line last night from multiple spots.  Dude had pressures everywhere from the interior to a wide 9.  DUDE was playing a wide alignment at his size?  Nobody does that.

Yeahh that's my bad, was definitely reminded last night how dominate he is. And the Chiefs signing him to this contract this past off-season has secured his place. He's a Legend forsure. Has surpassed DT looks like. 

Part of what makes legends is where one is at in life as a fan.  My dad would consider Buchanan, Dawson and Lanier to be the franchise legends and he wouldn't be wrong.  I think of TG, DT and Shields.  My son thinks of Mahomes and Kelce.  First love and all that.  

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

Part of what makes legends is where one is at in life as a fan.  My dad would consider Buchanan, Dawson and Lanier to be the franchise legends and he wouldn't be wrong.  I think of TG, DT and Shields.  My son thinks of Mahomes and Kelce.  First love and all that.  

I’m with your dad. 

8 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Derrick Henry was gassed the entire 2nd half. No idea why they didn't pound the ball. It was working.

29 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I think it's still the delusion that Lamar is an actual QB

He's a really good throwing RB though.  Like he throws really well, for a RB.

Running that much isn't sustainable.  They best come up with a better plan.  He dropped weight to get faster this offseason, but that's just gonna get him hurt again.

Seems like they ran a ton this game as a "fuck you, we shoulda done this in the AFCCG" and still came up short... again.  

For all the gnashing of teeth about why Lamar doesn't get the respect other QBs do, this game is another example of why.  He's great playing with a lead when they can tee off that running game, but when he just has to pass a lot,  he is the opposite of clutch. 

Running just isn't efficient enough to beat a great passing team in the playoffs.  For example, King Henry has a career EPA of 8.  Not 8 points per game, he has added 8 points towards winning, in his career.

Burrow and Allen will always worry me more than Lamar.

Ravens are a great team right now.  I just think not good enough as an organization and long term plan to remain great..  They are built for a QB who is just a large fast RB who can throw pretty well.   The instant Jackson gets hurt, or even when he slows a bit as a RB, the Ravens are a mediocre team at best. Their window is 2-3 more years.  If Mahomes gets hurt for several games, the Chiefs can still contend with Carson Wentz, not only because Wentz is very good, but because of the Chiefs depth and Reid's , Spags', and Toub's adjustment ability with their personnel. The Chiefs seem to be built to account more for any situation. Big difference. And what about GM? Can the Ravens' GM find talent and work the finances for the long term like Veach does?  I doubt it. The Chiefs are just a generally more sound franchise.

13 hours ago, mex said:

Derrick Henry was gassed the entire 2nd half. No idea why they didn't pound the ball. It was working.

Would pounding the ball really have worked?  Henry averaged 3.5 yds./run and had a longest run of 9 yards.  The Ravens feasted on Lamar's scrambles but most of those weren't called plays but a result of avoiding the pass rush and taking what the Chiefs gave them.  The Raven didn't lose because of a lack of trying to run.  They lost because they couldn't hit open receivers or pass consistently.  If Bolton had been 100% or the Chiefs had used Hicks to spy Jackson, the Ravens' offense would have been pretty anemic. 

56 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Would pounding the ball really have worked?  Henry averaged 3.5 yds./run and had a longest run of 9 yards.  The Ravens feasted on Lamar's scrambles but most of those weren't called plays but a result of avoiding the pass rush and taking what the Chiefs gave them.  The Raven didn't lose because of a lack of trying to run.  They lost because they couldn't hit open receivers or pass consistently.  If Bolton had been 100% or the Chiefs had used Hicks to spy Jackson, the Ravens' offense would have been pretty anemic. 

CJ was destroying their line so bad, Lamar wasn't even looking to pass for a while there.  He just ran in the opposite direction.