Chiefs Bengals GameDay Thread

Has any quarterback gotten more mileage out of beating Mahomes than Joe Burrow? Every podcast analyzing this game makes it sound like because Burrow beat Mahomes in the AFCCG a few years ago.....somehow they are on equal ground. It astounds me.

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

Has any quarterback gotten more mileage out of beating Mahomes than Joe Burrow? Every podcast analyzing this game makes it sound like because Burrow beat Mahomes in the AFCCG a few years ago.....somehow they are on equal ground. It astounds me.

The chiefs literally had that game so in the bag. Worst half of ball outside of Indy playoff game under Reid 

should have 4 rings 

In the Bengals' locker room Thursday, Cincinnati cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt said he's not worried about covering electric Chiefs rookie Xavier Worthy -- who scored two touchdowns in his NFL debut last week. Why? Because Taylor-Britt considers him a one-dimensional player who is over-reliant on his speed.

Xavier Worthy showcased his record-breaking speed during his NFL debut, but at least one member of the Cincinnati Bengals' secondary wasn't overly impressed with the Kansas City Chiefs rookie.

Bengals cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt did not mince words Wednesday when asked about the qualities that Worthy adds to Kansas City's offense.

Advertising

"Speed, that's about it," Taylor-Britt told reporters. "He can run straight -- run jet sweeps and just run straight. He can't do too much else, so that's about it."

Editor's Picks

How Patrick Mahomes pushed rookie Xavier Worthy to be an immediate playmaker

5dAdam Teicher

Fantasy football rookie watch: Jayden Daniels shines, Marvin Harrison Jr. struggles

2dEric Moody

Burrow: Wrist 'absolutely not' affecting throws

6hBen Baby

The Bengals visit the two-time defending Super Bowl champion Chiefs on Sunday, when Taylor-Britt figures to line up against Worthy.

Worthy was drafted by Kansas City with the 28th pick after dazzling at this year's NFL scouting combine, where he ran the 40-yard dash in a record 4.21 seconds.

The former University of Texas star showed off those wheels last Thursday, when he hauled in a 35-yard touchdown reception and also ran for a 21-yard score in the Chiefs' 27-20 victory over the Ravens. Taylor-Britt seemed confident that the Bengals would be able to contain the 5-foot-11, 165-pound Worthy.

"I feel like if you put your hands on him, he's only a hundred-something pounds," Taylor-Britt said. "If you put hands on him, you're going to stop his speed. So basically get your hands on him."

Despite the two touchdowns, Worthy did appear to have a somewhat limited role in Kansas City's opener, finishing with two catches on just three targets and the one carry that resulted in the long TD run.

Patrick Mahomes said Wednesday that Worthy showed, however, that "he's able to run routes and find open spaces" and added that the Chiefs "want him to keep building."

"It's just going to be a spark," Mahomes said when asked about Worthy's debut. "It shows what he can do. Obviously, it showed his speed. It showed how he's able to run routes and find open spaces. ... It's just kind of a start for him. We want him to keep building. We want to get him more and more involved in the offense, but a great start."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41233273/bengals-cam-taylor-britt-says-xavier-worthy-fast-it

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

In the Bengals' locker room Thursday, Cincinnati cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt said he's not worried about covering electric Chiefs rookie Xavier Worthy -- who scored two touchdowns in his NFL debut last week. Why? Because Taylor-Britt considers him a one-dimensional player who is over-reliant on his speed.

Who? 

Man, thet wont shut up. I hope we destroy them.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41236982/bengals-team-beat-afc-chiefs-loom

Ja'Marr Chase: Bengals 'team to beat' in AFC as Chiefs loom

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Bengals might be a couple of years removed from being the best team in the AFC. But ahead of Sunday's matchup against Kansas City, the back-to-back reigning conference and Super Bowl champion, wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase said the team still believed it was the team that commands the top spot.

"Everybody knows that, bro," Chase said Thursday. "It's not 'if.' We are the team to beat in the AFC. And we know it. And we gotta play like it, too."

In two of the past three years, the Cincinnati-Kansas City matchup determined who represented the AFC in the Super Bowl. Cincinnati won at Arrowhead Stadium in the 2021 playoffs to clinch the Bengals' first conference title in 33 years.

The next season, Kansas City hit the winning field goal with three seconds left to win the rematch in the AFC title game.

Last year, the Bengals missed the playoffs after quarterback Joe Burrow suffered a season-ending wrist injury in Week 11. Cincinnati was eliminated from postseason contention after a Week 16 loss at Kansas City.

This season, the Bengals are off to a 0-1 start. Despite being a 7.5-point favorite in Week 1, Cincinnati lost to New England 16-10. With another loss Sunday, the Bengals will start the season with an 0-2 record for the fifth time in the past six seasons.

Chase dismissed the notion the Bengals need to prove they are still a championship-caliber team.

"All that noise y'all are making and stuff, we see it, we hear it," Chase said. "But we're not worried about it, you know what I'm saying? At the end of the day, it's about the team and what we're doing on the field.

"The outside people are not on the field, telling us what to do on the field. I'll let them stay outside and make their own comments."

Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow has won three of his four games against Kansas City. Dating to the team's regular season in 2021, Cincinnati won three straight against its rival until the loss in the AFC Championship Game during the 2022 playoffs.

Burrow, who struggled in the loss to the Patriots -- his first game since wrist surgery -- said he wasn't viewing Sunday's matchup as a measuring stick for this season's team.

"You're always trying to go out there and prove yourself to the world, to yourself, to your teammates and your coaches," Burrow said. "I'd say that about every single week."

This year's matchup will not include Kansas City cornerback L'Jarius Sneed, who has become one of Chase's top foils in recent years. But Chase still had high praise for the team's defense and coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

Chase emphasized the need to be sharp and fully prepared for whatever comes Cincinnati's way.

"They always do a good job of coming with good schemes against us," Chase said. "I feel like they were one of the best teams to scheme against us and know what we're doing."

On Wednesday, Bengals cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt made waves when he said Kansas City rookie wide receiver Xavier Worthy's best -- and perhaps only -- attributes were being fast and running straight.

But that was mild compared with the barbs that have been traded by the teams over the years. Chase indicated everything that needed to be said had already been done ahead of another anticipated matchup.

"The energy's there [on] both sides," Chase said. "I'm sure they know we don't like them. They know they don't like us. So the energy's already there. There's not really much we got to say now to this point. It's been four years now, so everyone gets it."

34 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Man, thet wont shut up. I hope we destroy them.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41236982/bengals-team-beat-afc-chiefs-loom

Ja'Marr Chase: Bengals 'team to beat' in AFC as Chiefs loom

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Bengals might be a couple of years removed from being the best team in the AFC. But ahead of Sunday's matchup against Kansas City, the back-to-back reigning conference and Super Bowl champion, wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase said the team still believed it was the team that commands the top spot.

"Everybody knows that, bro," Chase said Thursday. "It's not 'if.' We are the team to beat in the AFC. And we know it. And we gotta play like it, too."

In two of the past three years, the Cincinnati-Kansas City matchup determined who represented the AFC in the Super Bowl. Cincinnati won at Arrowhead Stadium in the 2021 playoffs to clinch the Bengals' first conference title in 33 years.

The next season, Kansas City hit the winning field goal with three seconds left to win the rematch in the AFC title game.

Last year, the Bengals missed the playoffs after quarterback Joe Burrow suffered a season-ending wrist injury in Week 11. Cincinnati was eliminated from postseason contention after a Week 16 loss at Kansas City.

This season, the Bengals are off to a 0-1 start. Despite being a 7.5-point favorite in Week 1, Cincinnati lost to New England 16-10. With another loss Sunday, the Bengals will start the season with an 0-2 record for the fifth time in the past six seasons.

Chase dismissed the notion the Bengals need to prove they are still a championship-caliber team.

"All that noise y'all are making and stuff, we see it, we hear it," Chase said. "But we're not worried about it, you know what I'm saying? At the end of the day, it's about the team and what we're doing on the field.

"The outside people are not on the field, telling us what to do on the field. I'll let them stay outside and make their own comments."

Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow has won three of his four games against Kansas City. Dating to the team's regular season in 2021, Cincinnati won three straight against its rival until the loss in the AFC Championship Game during the 2022 playoffs.

Burrow, who struggled in the loss to the Patriots -- his first game since wrist surgery -- said he wasn't viewing Sunday's matchup as a measuring stick for this season's team.

"You're always trying to go out there and prove yourself to the world, to yourself, to your teammates and your coaches," Burrow said. "I'd say that about every single week."

This year's matchup will not include Kansas City cornerback L'Jarius Sneed, who has become one of Chase's top foils in recent years. But Chase still had high praise for the team's defense and coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

Chase emphasized the need to be sharp and fully prepared for whatever comes Cincinnati's way.

"They always do a good job of coming with good schemes against us," Chase said. "I feel like they were one of the best teams to scheme against us and know what we're doing."

On Wednesday, Bengals cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt made waves when he said Kansas City rookie wide receiver Xavier Worthy's best -- and perhaps only -- attributes were being fast and running straight.

But that was mild compared with the barbs that have been traded by the teams over the years. Chase indicated everything that needed to be said had already been done ahead of another anticipated matchup.

"The energy's there [on] both sides," Chase said. "I'm sure they know we don't like them. They know they don't like us. So the energy's already there. There's not really much we got to say now to this point. It's been four years now, so everyone gets it."

[Image: thats-dumb-will-ferrell.gif]

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

wondering if the blond hair is a tribute to Boomer?

"I got bored, that's about it," he said of the reasoning behind his new do, which is a different color and cut from each of his previous years in the league. He was also nudged to do it by 310-pound defensive tackle B.J. Hill, whom Burrow said must now follow suit with the same look.Jul 24, 2024

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

"I got bored, that's about it," he said of the reasoning behind his new do, which is a different color and cut from each of his previous years in the league. He was also nudged to do it by 310-pound defensive tackle B.J. Hill, whom Burrow said must now follow suit with the same look.Jul 24, 2024

Joe is a fashion God. 

Joe Burrow opens up on being 'roasted' over his bold outfit at Vogue World Paris show after ...

Some teams just seem to give off what I call "thug" vibes. Certainly the Raiders come to mind first. But you can put Cincy in there. Mostly crap that Chase says but others have thrown shade at the Chiefs. The media loves it and all of them point to how the Bengals knocked the Chiefs off in the AFCCG. How long ago was that? It would absolutely deflate the talking heads if the Chiefs were to go off on Cincy and easily win. So that is what I am hoping for.