1 hour ago, KC Warpaint said:

Not sure why you feel that way, he isn’t even 30 yet

Lol he is 28....he could win this year for his 4th sb before 30. He won't make 5 because next year he will turn 30 in season. I think we are fine lol. 12 more years if he plays to 40. He may do a Brady and go for 43, which would be 15 more years.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Lol he is 28....he could win this year for his 4th sb before 30. He won't make 5 because next year he will turn 30 in season. I think we are fine lol. 12 more years if he plays to 40. He may do a Brady and go for 43, which would be 15 more years.

He will be 29 in a week and he's in his 8th year.  Next year will be halfway to 39 as a chief. 

52 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Me too.  The only reason I thought about it was the discussion about McDuffies contract. At some point our quarterback situation will partially dictate how we handle other contracts. 

If Mahomes keeps winning and cashes in on all the side hustles, he may restructure enough to keep the team competitive.  Leading a dynasty pay off for him more than just having the highest contract.  I'm guessing Mahomes far out earns most QBs making $50+ million/year and he's smart enough to know that's because his team wins.  

19 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If Mahomes keeps winning and cashes in on all the side hustles, he may restructure enough to keep the team competitive.  Leading a dynasty pay off for him more than just having the highest contract.  I'm guessing Mahomes far out earns most QBs making $50+ million/year and he's smart enough to know that's because his team wins.  

That's not really my point. We will be always  competitive with mahomes. 'm saying that Chris jones has value because we are in our super bowl window.  If mahomes was 40 you probably trade jones and kelce and start looking for picks and dollars.  The overall team situation will start to dictate whether McDuffie types get paid at some point. 

33 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

That's not really my point. We will be always  competitive with mahomes. 'm saying that Chris jones has value because we are in our super bowl window.  If mahomes was 40 you probably trade jones and kelce and start looking for picks and dollars.  The overall team situation will start to dictate whether McDuffie types get paid at some point. 

The thing that will keep McDuffy from getting paid will be the same as why Hill got traded.  Veach won't break the bank for CBs or WRs.  McDuffy might be the exception but it's not a certainty.  It's really hard to stay on top in the NFL.  Low draft picks plus having to pay players that got the team there means the best teams can't keep up with the bottom feeders when it comes to retaining talent.  The thing that's saved the Chiefs so far is the dramatic increase in salary cap.  But with the recent contracts given to a few CBs, McDuffy may be hard to keep.  

14 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The thing that will keep McDuffy from getting paid will be the same as why Hill got traded.  Veach won't break the bank for CBs or WRs.  McDuffy might be the exception but it's not a certainty.  It's really hard to stay on top in the NFL.  Low draft picks plus having to pay players that got the team there means the best teams can't keep up with the bottom feeders when it comes to retaining talent.  The thing that's saved the Chiefs so far is the dramatic increase in salary cap.  But with the recent contracts given to a few CBs, McDuffy may be hard to keep.  

I guess I'm not explaining well.  We are in win now mode.  At some point we will be in either a full rebuild or a retool.  That will affect decision making.  Nobody knows how veach will behave at that time becase he has been win now since he started. That win now thing has made trade ups more likely.  And keeping key pieces a priority. At some point draft volume will be more important than trading up for a particular need. 

I was doing a mental exercise to think about the team at McDuffies payday and it caused me to reflect that mahomes won't be here forever. 

2 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I guess I'm not explaining well.  We are in win now mode.  At some point we will be in either a full rebuild or a retool.  That will affect decision making.  Nobody knows how veach will behave at that time becase he has been win now since he started. That win now thing has made trade ups more likely.  And keeping key pieces a priority. At some point draft volume will be more important than trading up for a particular need. 

I was doing a mental exercise to think about the team at McDuffies payday and it caused me to reflect that mahomes won't be here forever. 

Maybe, but NBC keep pointing out that the Chiefs had the youngest D in the league last year and except for Kelce and Thuney, the offense isn't all that old.  Veach is in a win now mode but has been able to churn the roster without losing too much so far.  Trading Hill was a plus and maybe the defense will survive losing Sneed and Gay.  I think Veach is looking at the long term just as much as he is for this season.

15 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Maybe, but NBC keep pointing out that the Chiefs had the youngest D in the league last year and except for Kelce and Thuney, the offense isn't all that old.  Veach is in a win now mode but has been able to churn the roster without losing too much so far.  Trading Hill was a plus and maybe the defense will survive losing Sneed and Gay.  I think Veach is looking at the long term just as much as he is for this season.

Yes.  And with a generational quarterback and the best coach in the game we were 11 and 6. Without mahomes this roster is not a win now team possibly. 

3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Yes.  And with a generational quarterback and the best coach in the game we were 11 and 6. Without mahomes this roster is not a win now team possibly. 

11-6 with no reliable receivers until Rice got up to speed.  Incredible drops, sleep walking through very winnable games against DEN and LVS, etc.  Nearly everything possible went wrong  UNTIL THE PLAYOFFS.  I can't think of any team that can lose their #1 QB and still win.   

25 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I can't think of any team that can lose their #1 QB and still win.   

That'd the whole point of what I'm saying and what you are seemingly arguing against. When we lose our quarterback we are likely going to have a rebuild.  A la patriots broncos packers saints colts chargers and steelers. And during that rebuild we will focus on finding a quarterback and putting together a solid roster.  We won't be spending huge money on free agents. Unless it's a qb. 

59 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

That'd the whole point of what I'm saying and what you are seemingly arguing against. When we lose our quarterback we are likely going to have a rebuild.  A la patriots broncos packers saints colts chargers and steelers. And during that rebuild we will focus on finding a quarterback and putting together a solid roster.  We won't be spending huge money on free agents. Unless it's a qb. 

Well we will see. We went from Smith to Mahomes. Maybe down the road Mahomes to a new guy we draft and learn under Mahomes.

40 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well we will see. We went from Smith to Mahomes. Maybe down the road Mahomes to a new guy we draft and learn under Mahomes.

True.  We could get super lucky and find an alex smith type. Although I think that explains the problem. 

5 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Not disagreeing.  It's just that we probably define long term differently.  If Mahomes plays near 10-12 more years, that's really long term.  At my age, even 10 years is long term.  Losing Andy may have an impact that sets the team back for a while although I'd think a lot of bright coaches would love to be head coach with Mahomes in his prime.  

The gift that keeps on giving...

Mahomes and his deal. Only two has been to a SB but no wins, Burrow and Hurts. 4 have been to conference championship games, Burrow, Lamar, Hurts and Goff.

Meanwhile 3 Sb and 6 straight conference games for our guy and counting....