Kareem Hunt is coming home

Yep. Nice.

• According to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero, the Chiefs have signed Kareem Hunt to the practice squad.
    Hunt was drafted by the Chiefs in the third round in 2017 and enjoyed a few successful years in their offense. He spent last season with the Browns, rushing for 411 yards on 135 carries (3.0 yards per carry), and was unable to unseat Jerome Ford, even after Nick Chubb got injured. Hunt himself underwent sports hernia surgery this offseason, so it’s unclear what the 29-year-old has left in the tank. He knows the offense, so he could get onto the field for the Chiefs relatively quickly, but he’s going to need to show enough in practice to suggest that he can be more impactful than Carson Steele or Semaje Perine. We’re still not sure he’ll be able to do that, but he can be added in deeper formats just in case.
    Transaction
    4m ago
    Source: Tom Pelissero

•  

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

"he’s going to need to show enough in practice to suggest that he can be more impactful than Carson Steele or Semaje Perine."

no he doesn't he just needs to show he can be effective in the RB rotation

This ^.  I think he has enough in the tank to provide 10-touches a game in a rotation with Perine and Steel.  Good signing.  Maybe the best available.  Curious what the contract looks like.  It won't be guaranteed (I don't think) since he's a veteran signed after the first game.  I assume it's close to league vet minimum with incentives for performance.  

To get a 2nd chance like this in life, to go win a Super Bowl and redeem any ounce of pride for himself and his grandchildren -- very rare. 

I wonder if this is what he told Clark Hunt and Andy Reid while meeting with them this week. Both parties have eyes on only the Super Bowl

This is awesome for Hunt and for the chiefs. 
he will be very motivated. 
hunt is a 3 down back. Just get him up to speed and let’s fukin roll. 
This signing will give the chiefs the boost and energy they need going into Atlanta. 
Hunt has a nose for the end zone and 1st down markers. 
with him , Steele and perine , we should install some old school schotmihemer plays. Run it down there damn throat ! 

7 hours ago, oldtimer said:

"he’s going to need to show enough in practice to suggest that he can be more impactful than Carson Steele or Semaje Perine."

no he doesn't he just needs to show he can be effective in the RB rotation

More than that, he needs to show that he can take enough of Carson Steele's special teams snaps to allow Steele to actually be a #1 rotating with Perine. Or let Steele play short yardage 3rd down plays and fullback role.  But Toub is going to miss Steele unless Hunt can perform that role on ST's.

7 hours ago, TomahawkChop said:

This ^.  I think he has enough in the tank to provide 10-touches a game in a rotation with Perine and Steel.  Good signing.  Maybe the best available.  Curious what the contract looks like.  It won't be guaranteed (I don't think) since he's a veteran signed after the first game.  I assume it's close to league vet minimum with incentives for performance.  

It's practice squad weekly salary unless he gets elevated.  About a quarter to a fifth of the vet minimum total if he was on the squad all year.

9 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

More than that, he needs to show that he can take enough of Carson Steele's special teams snaps to allow Steele to actually be a #1 rotating with Perine. Or let Steele play short yardage 3rd down plays and fullback role.  But Toub is going to miss Steele unless Hunt can perform that role on ST's.

If his workout/practices go well, I’d be surprised if they want him on STs. Steele will continue his current role, and Hunt will step into Pacheco’s spot. 

1 hour ago, mex said:

If his workout/practices go well, I’d be surprised if they want him on STs. Steele will continue his current role, and Hunt will step into Pacheco’s spot. 

Based on Hunt's performance the last few years, I don't think he will ever be a #1 again.  He wouldn't come close to providing what Pacheco does. I'm thinking that CEH will be better than Hunt could be at his age when he gets back from his injury. As Chiefs fans, we all have memories of the Hunt times, but he is not in the same conversation now.  We should  curb our enthusiasm. His best attribute is his receiving and he still has a connection with Mahomes.  I'm guessing Reid will work him in as an outlet receiver and blocker on 3rd downs and nothing else.

Is there any clue that CEH will be back for week five?  It may just be Steele, Perine, and Hunt for longer than that.  If that's the case, expect to see Perine get a few more carries plus all third down plays and Hunt and Steele sharing the other downs depending on how Steele does and whether Hunt has anything left.  Maybe ten carries each with pass pro on the other downs. 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Is there any clue that CEH will be back for week five?  It may just be Steele, Perine, and Hunt for longer than that.  If that's the case, expect to see Perine get a few more carries plus all third down plays and Hunt and Steele sharing the other downs depending on how Steele does and whether Hunt has anything left.  Maybe ten carries each with pass pro on the other downs. 

Steele is an UDFA. He may not be able to get the carries we want every game from him. If Hunt is good to go with the plays and game ready, I think he gets the bulk of them more than Steele. Perine may get some 3rd downs and such but Hunt can be that back too. 

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Based on Hunt's performance the last few years, I don't think he will ever be a #1 again.  He wouldn't come close to providing what Pacheco does. I'm thinking that CEH will be better than Hunt could be at his age when he gets back from his injury. As Chiefs fans, we all have memories of the Hunt times, but he is not in the same conversation now.  We should  curb our enthusiasm. His best attribute is his receiving and he still has a connection with Mahomes.  I'm guessing Reid will work him in as an outlet receiver and blocker on 3rd downs and nothing else.

No more Gummies for you

15 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Kareem may be done as a player, but this was still the best option.

I still believe Kareem was the best rb we have had in Reid’s system to date, lets hope we strike lightning in a bottle with him for maybe 6 games or so

Maybe had the best talent starting off in our system but I think Pacheco is better and will continue to improve. 

20 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Kareem may be done as a player, but this was still the best option.

I still believe Kareem was the best rb we have had in Reid’s system to date, lets hope we strike lightning in a bottle with him for maybe 6 games or so

no more Gummies for you

cough cough Jamal Charles

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

no more Gummies for you

cough cough Jamal Charles

Jamal Charles had the ability to score anytime he touched the ball, but he was also a fumble waiting to happen, often at the most inopportune times.

both kareem and pachecho are far superior backs to charles.

you have to understand if a rb has a fumbling problem i see them as worthless to a good team

Just now, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Jamal Charles had the ability to score anytime he touched the ball, but he was also a fumble waiting to happen, often at the most inopportune times.

both kareem and pachecho are far superior backs to charles.

you have to understand if a rb has a fumbling problem i see them as worthless to a good team

Bless your heart

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Steele is an UDFA. He may not be able to get the carries we want every game from him. If Hunt is good to go with the plays and game ready, I think he gets the bulk of them more than Steele. Perine may get some 3rd downs and such but Hunt can be that back too. 

Pacheco was a seventh rounder.  Steele was an UDFA.  Not much difference in that pecking order.  Steele won't make many long runs due to his lack of speed, but his take off is quick and he isn't easily brought down..  Most importantly, he's about seven years and a gazillion carries younger than Hunt.  Not saying he is the answer, just that we don't know yet. 

54 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Pacheco was a seventh rounder.  Steele was an UDFA.  Not much difference in that pecking order.  Steele won't make many long runs due to his lack of speed, but his take off is quick and he isn't easily brought down..  Most importantly, he's about seven years and a gazillion carries younger than Hunt.  Not saying he is the answer, just that we don't know yet. 

That is the thing I am saying, he is still learning and will take some time from what we have seen. Hunt is the vet, knows the systems etc. I just think now it is hunt until Steele proves otherwise. Even Pacheco took time learning behind others in his rookie season. At the time Steele is ready, I would think would be the time Pacheco is ready to go. Then hunt becomes a backup fo a backup.