National sports press is clueless

I keep watching these clips from national sports shows about the Chiefs, and they really have no clue about why we keep winning.  They are stuck on the pass TD's figure and keep labeling us some sort of anachronism.  This is perfect, as long as the opposing teams keep believing this.  The truth is that we win by using the best approach on any given week for the teams we play, thanks to the coaching staff.  Defenses have been built to stop teams that are built around the pass game, because that is in vogue in the last bunch of years and makes great TV.  If you design an approach to win in that environment, you build your team to exploit weaknesses against the run.  That is what Reid has done.

One other thing I have not heard  the talking heads focus on when dissing the Chiefs, is that, aside from having exactly the right approach to winning on the road, the Chiefs play half their games at Arrowhead, against teams that simply cannot communicate offensively because of crowd noise. Its always been true. That is quite a gigantic handicap to put on any opposing offense.  The modern game requires that the QB's and centers  communicate with their lines.  So, they build their teams on that, come into Arrowhead, and find their entire approach almost useless. They can spend the prior week preparing to do things differently, but it is not natural for them, and the number of plays they can put together doing that is limited and easily exploitable by a coach like Reid.  None of the loudmouths on national sports talk shows seem to understand this basic truth.  They mention the noise on TV as being a factor in their predictions, but they really don't know and cannot explain the extent of what that does to today's type of teams.  This allows us to continue to fly under the radar.

It was said that "everything has to be perfect to win with Alex Smith". Maybe that's true, and maybe Reid and Dorsey have crafted a synergistic perfection of scheme and complementary talent around Smith that is feeding off of itself to manufacture wins; maybe it will fall apart in the remaining games, or in the playoffs - for the time being, though, the reality is that you have to bring your perfect game if you want to beat the Chiefs.

Jamaal Charles is a huge part of what's going on here. In today's NFL, offenses are expected to rely primarily on the pass, setting up the have/have-not hierarchy between a few teams that were lucky enough to attain a "franchise QB" and everyone else. If there ever was such a thing as a "franchise RB", it's been legislated out of existence. Yet, here is Jamaal Charles, carrying the team on his shoulders. He was the majority of our offense last year, and has been vital to our most critical wins so far this season; in fact, a little more leaning on Charles in one or two of those losses could have us sitting in the 1st seed right now.

There is no such thing as a "franchise runningback" (FRB). For the FRB to be a "thing", we would need more than one of them in existence to compare & contrast; such is not the case - there is only Jamaal Charles, and you either have Jamaal or you don't. Since there are no go-to clichés about FRB's, the national media simply has no frame of reference for explaining the Chiefs' success - it "does not compute".

For the record, I've been beating the "JC can carry the franchise like a FQB" drum for years. Obviously Haley & Cassel weren't the right pieces to make it happen, but they're gone and now we have a coach & QB perfect for capitalizing on the brilliance of #25, an athlete so singular that there's not even a label for what he does for this team. I for one am happy that Alex Smith does not overshadow JC - Charles deserves the spotlight, and he deserves a shot at Super Bowl MVP.

True. 

We are always going to need a dominant running game, because it works great on either the road or at Arrowhead, but I would avoid "beasting" it up unless another Christian Okoye becomes available to us, because that is what everyone else is going to try to do.  We need to find another JC in the upcoming few drafts, but it won't be easy.  Receivers, receivers, receivers.  The talking heads are right about one thing.  We need more balance using a longer passing game when teams bunch up on us.  I think the trend is going to favor teams that accumulate big, do-everything guys who can block, catch, and run fast.  If we can find another Travis Kelce, having two guys like that would put us in the catbird seat.  Fasano is good, but not dominant.

You are right.  Fulton was as advertised, a road grader.  And he is going to get better and better. 

Yep. 18-8 with a vanilla Colts game (though Indy must have been vanilla, too) and playing all backups in a game the refs robbed from us from a kicker no longer here (though this happens to all good teams - resting). 20-6 possibly if we went all out. And only the injured Tennessee game was a bad game of those 6.

Yeah...a lot of post Sunday analysis includes, "The Chiefs still haven't thrown a touchdown pass to a receiver this year. Unbelievable...how are they still winning?" Because the so called experts have bought into the hype that it's a passing league and the ONLY way you win is to just outpass the other guys. This is clearly false. First of all...I firmly believe Alex Smith is capable of having a 250 yard, 2-3 TD type of performance. He won't throw for 300+ and 5 TDs. Won't happen. But when called upon he can provide a solid QB line like I mentioned. The anomaly was the playoff game against the Colts. That having been said...combine a solid running game with a team that does not turn the ball over much (yesterday was an exception)....has a high level of converting 3rd downs, is efficient in the red zone, solid special teams play, top pass defense and although gives up a lot on the ground buckles up and stymies teams in the red zone. And on top of that you have a team with great chemistry, character and coaching...It all adds up. 

All Chief Fans understand that the National Media will get on the Chiefs Bandwagon for 24 hours if KC wins the Super Bowl.

Of course, 30% of them will still talk about the WR's under performing in the big game or some Andy Reid impersonator....anything but how great the team played or how great of an organization the Chiefs have.

Its always been this way.  All the long time fans understand and could not give a shit.

w

When people say, "They have no WR TDs, how come they are still winning?," all I hear is, "He has four legs, how come he's not a dog?"

One thing can be true but it doesn't necessitate the other. Dogs do have four legs, as passing teams win. But passing teams lose, too, and running teams with different positions receiving win as well.

It's not that complicated. Score when the opponent can't stop what you're doing, adjust when they do, stop your opponent from doing what they do, adjust when your strategy isn't working. None of that mentioned passing or receivers.

We haven't had to adjust to teams stopping our short game and we are capable of doing so if needed, IMO. Before you say anything, no team is built to comeback from multiple scores. Teams are built to score and produce or not. To defend or not. Most teams lose when down.

Let's see how the Chiefs do once Avery gets back....

I hate to say it, but we missed AJ Jenkins this past week.

Bowe was blanketed all day and the rest of the WRs were off for the week.

I do give Hemmingway kudo's for the great play on special teams.

w

At the beginning of the year the talk here was that the OL was a weakness, young and inexperienced.., I think that's still partly true.., I think the reason we rely on the run, zone reads, screens and options are because they more OL friendly types of plays and we have a QB that plays to that style.., As we get deeper into the season it wouldn't surprise me at all to see deeper throws and more timing patterns as the OL gets more settled.., To me, you're only as good as your offensive line and their abilities dictate the game plan more than anything else.., Sometime soon down the road I see Kelse and Bowe at least becoming a bigger part of the offense.., I don't think the offense has peaked yet.., This is gonna get good..,

Yeah...a lot of post Sunday analysis includes, "The Chiefs still haven't thrown a touchdown pass to a receiver this year. Unbelievable...how are they still winning?" Because the so called experts have bought into the hype that it's a passing league and the ONLY way you win is to just outpass the other guys. This is clearly false. First of all...I firmly believe Alex Smith is capable of having a 250 yard, 2-3 TD type of performance. He won't throw for 300+ and 5 TDs. Won't happen. But when called upon he can provide a solid QB line like I mentioned. The anomaly was the playoff game against the Colts. That having been said...combine a solid running game with a team that does not turn the ball over much (yesterday was an exception)....has a high level of converting 3rd downs, is efficient in the red zone, solid special teams play, top pass defense and although gives up a lot on the ground buckles up and stymies teams in the red zone. And on top of that you have a team with great chemistry, character and coaching...It all adds up. 

Exactly

At the beginning of the year the talk here was that the OL was a weakness, young and inexperienced.., I think that's still partly true.., I think the reason we rely on the run, zone reads, screens and options are because they more OL friendly types of plays and we have a QB that plays to that style.., As we get deeper into the season it wouldn't surprise me at all to see deeper throws and more timing patterns as the OL gets more settled.., To me, you're only as good as your offensive line and their abilities dictate the game plan more than anything else.., Sometime soon down the road I see Kelse and Bowe at least becoming a bigger part of the offense.., I don't think the offense has peaked yet.., This is gonna get good..,

If the only way people judge the quality of the O-line is by pass protection, then the Chiefs line needs more experience and maybe more talent.  What really matters at this point is that the O-line has been very effective in the run game and that's the Chiefs bread and butter.  Other teams stack the box and the Chiefs still win games on the ground.  As long as the passing game consists of Smith getting the ball out quickly to Bowe or Kelce, the line doesn't need to be the same as the Shields, Waters, Roaf line.  When/if  they add a few WRs, it will be interesting to see if these guys can protect for longer pass plays.

If the only way people judge the quality of the O-line is by pass protection, then the Chiefs line needs more experience and maybe more talent.  What really matters at this point is that the O-line has been very effective in the run game and that's the Chiefs bread and butter.  Other teams stack the box and the Chiefs still win games on the ground.  As long as the passing game consists of Smith getting the ball out quickly to Bowe or Kelce, the line doesn't need to be the same as the Shields, Waters, Roaf line.  When/if  they add a few WRs, it will be interesting to see if these guys can protect for longer pass plays.

That's why we matchup so well against NE. I believe we are one of two teams that matchup well with them. Watching how dominant Pittsburgh can be with Laveon Bell is the other. I honestly believe if we had beaten Indi (in the Wild Card last year) that we would have taken care of NE in the divisional round as well. 

This will prove true once again in the playoffs that you can win a SB in this league with a dominant running game, a solid, opportunistic defense, & a game-managing yet highly competitive QB such as Alex Smith. Just look at Seattle last year. Those Dallas homers on NFL Network hating on our Chiefs can shove it, i.e.  Michael Irvin and Deion.

Here's a good article on the trend of the NFL and how it may swing back to a run dominant league; Seemingly, the Chiefs are in great position to make that transition. 

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/11/17/7236613/cycle-of-nfl-kansas-city-chiefs-take-advantage

Well when it comes to running it helps to have guys like Bowe, and Kelce and even Dat got in on the run blocking last week.

shit when kelces run blocking its almost like pulling a gaurd or center.. and well when you pull a guard or center and run behind kelce, and D Bowe its nearly not fair. Those guys will flat out blow somebody up.

Archived