I'm sticking with Alex Smith

I'll grant you that there was a pass or two yesterday that made me cringe, but even great QBs throw off target occasionally. Alex Smith is a darn good QB. Releases the ball quickly (he has to do that right now with this oline). Good accuracy. Generally has good vision on the field. Makes good choices. Can run very efficiently when the need arises. Seldom turns the ball over. Knows when to throw the ball away.Has a good soldier's attitude and is not a prima donna. He's tough as nails - that late hit by Miller was wicked, and I loved that he came back and threw the good pass the next play (Was that the touchdown?)

Anyway, I am solidly in the Alex Smith camp. He's had some tough luck in his career, but he has always been a winner, nevertheless. This team has some problems, but it's not Alex Smith.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex Smith is not perfect, but he is good enough. It is clear to me he cannot connect on long passes. Maybe this is a problem with the receivers, but it is certain he does not have the arm to wing it out there. He has to be set up, and use his body mechanics to get heat on the ball. That is alright. The important part of playing quarterback is timing, and knowing where to place the ball. He's above average in that and mobility. I would like to see him move in the pocket a little better. He seems to run to one side or another, and that gets him in trouble by narrowing the field. Rodgers is not as mobile, but he stays clean in the pocket. A lot of that is due to the OL. Our line is not good, especially LG, and RT. Fisher has improved some, but he is still near the bottom of the league at LT.

There are complaints that he does not throw to his receivers. Well, that is true, but most of that is because of the offense, and lack of time to throw. Our receivers are not getting open quick enough, and are not trustworthy. Look at Avery, and tell me if you would go that way. He caught the ball, but fumbled. 

Bowe and Smith seem to be getting on the same page. I think Avant will be a nice fit as well. He doesn't get much separation, but he can sit down in the zone and catch a pass. I would sit Avery on the pines, and replace him with Wilson immediately. There is nothing Avery adds to this team that cannot be matched by the young rookie. I would start Bowe, Avant, and Wilson, and move on. 

right on.

its so difficult to judge him due to the shit that surrounds him..

he was killed last night..

and the recievers are so shitty that Jason avant was the leading receiver last...

a dude picked up off the heap will probably be the go to guy ...dewayne bowe should hang his damn head.

right on.

its so difficult to judge him due to the shit that surrounds him..

he was killed last night..

and the recievers are so shitty that Jason avant was the leading receiver last...

a dude picked up off the heap will probably be the go to guy ...dewayne bowe should hang his damn head.

Avant will get the first touchdown reception of the year.

I'm not going to blame Smith, but Smith is not a good QB. Average, maybe, good no.

O-line isn't helping him with his chronic problem of shitting his pants. I send more blame their way at this point. Receivers... well I see them getting open every game and Smith not hitting them, so I'm not 100% sure they are complete garbage, but they aren't awesome either. Pretty well the entire offense has been really rather shitty minus Kelce and Charles.

crow you say he shits his pants?..

c'mon man look at what hes dealing with..

in all honesty have you ever...I mean ever.. seen manning ..brady..or Rodgers  be beat down like he has?..maybe a play or two but smith is facing this every game..

I think hes standing in there like a man..he took a helmet to helmet hit last night on the perfect throws that lead to the td by fasono..

he was drilled and perhaps injured on the play before he hit Charles...

hes a gamer..and hes good..damn good..hes just dealing with a shitty line and worse receivers....in fact the worst in the league.

I have to agree completely. Right now he has very little protection and WRs that can't beat coverage. He is doing a good job.

Do you ever notice that when guys catch passes against the Chiefs, they usually dont have the coverage beat all that much, but the ball is usually placed in a spot where only the WR has a legit chance at catching it. I refuse to believe that the Chiefs WR are the only WR's in the NFL that cant SOMETIMES get open.  

Manning was completing passes with CB's all over his WR's. he just has this ability (you know the ability that all good qb's have) that allows him to pin point the ball to where his guys can have a good chance at the ball.

Its not just our Line or just our WR's. Alex is in a decade into his football career and he's never been that kind of qb. Its the QB!  10 previous years tell you, hey i cant/dont make them kind of throws. therefore, i'd rather take the sack.  Of course there is always an exception to the rule. He has made them throws, but the percentage is so small, its not even a legitimate debate.

Now with that said, our Oline is trash at times, but Alex has to let that ball go sometimes.

I think what I am going to say might be unfair or come across the wrong way - let me know if you think so.

One thing I always liked about Smith was his shut up and play attitude. I, at first, believed I would like Brian Hoyer because he struck me as a guy who was finally getting his shot and was making it for his home town.

I saw something last year where Hoyer was basically saying that this is his f'ing team. He didn't use that language, but it was that attitude. I thought, ok, not something Smith would say but would feel.

Then, when benched last week, there were reports on how concerned players were over his reaction to being benched. I thought, ok, Smith was playing well before his benching, Hoyer wasn't. That's a huge difference. But still, not the way Smith reacted. Hoyer seemed to lobby for his job, not a peep publicly from Smith. Short and classy afterwards.

I never latched on to rooting for Hoyer like others. I never believed he arrived. I feel he was playing on borrowed time and seemed desperate when pressed. I thought I was going to root for him, but I havent.

In fact, after his hot start, I disliked how people jumped on the big play ability yards wise. I thought, show us the whole package or closer to it. Over these last three weeks, it's been a little nice to see that it doesn't always work out. (I'm talking about deep shots in football not people.) These deep shots that he's been taking have led to interceptions. Two of which were losses and the other should have been. Everybody gives lipservice to smart football but is so enthralled with the deep ball that they failed to see bad football.

Balance is needed. Smith needs bigger shots. I just got tired of everything working out for some people deep-wise.

Do you ever notice that when guys catch passes against the Chiefs, they usually dont have the coverage beat all that much, but the ball is usually placed in a spot where only the WR has a legit chance at catching it. I refuse to believe that the Chiefs WR are the only WR's in the NFL that cant SOMETIMES get open.  

Manning was completing passes with CB's all over his WR's. he just has this ability (you know the ability that all good qb's have) that allows him to pin point the ball to where his guys can have a good chance at the ball.

Its not just our Line or just our WR's. Alex is in a decade into his football career and he's never been that kind of qb. Its the QB!  10 previous years tell you, hey i cant/dont make them kind of throws. therefore, i'd rather take the sack.  Of course there is always an exception to the rule. He has made them throws, but the percentage is so small, its not even a legitimate debate.

Now with that said, our Oline is trash at times, but Alex has to let that ball go sometimes.

Yep..  Agree on Alex and the Manning.  That first TD pass Manning threw last Sunday was perfect.  The DB was right there with Thomas.  You cannot defend that.  

Its not just our Line or just our WR's. Alex is in a decade into his football career and he's never been that kind of qb. Its the QB! 10 previous years tell you, hey i cant/dont make them kind of throws. therefore, i'd rather take the sack. Of course there is always an exception to the rule. He has made them throws, but the percentage is so small, its not even a legitimate debate.

It's the WRs! It's the OL! Ehh, we all have opinions.

Now with that said, I agree Smith should take more shots, as he's capable. Not expecting Manning.

Guest holmes4six

What alternate option is there at QB? We all know what Smith does and Reid better build the Oline to accomadate. If we want more deep throws than give him time to survey the field and he will. In the Denver game on certain 3rd a long there were routes ran that were 25-30 yds but the guy is running for his life. We will never have big passing plays if theres no Oline. I don't care who the hell is back there.

I think the biggest mistake Dorsey made is not resigning O line players from last year. Hopefully he knows it now.

What alternate option is there at QB? We all know what Smith does and Reid better build the Oline to accomadate. If we want more deep throws than give him time to survey the field and he will. In the Denver game on certain 3rd a long there were routes ran that were 25-30 yds but the guy is running for his life. We will never have big passing plays if theres no Oline. I don't care who the hell is back there.

I think the biggest mistake Dorsey made is not resigning O line players from last year. Hopefully he knows it now.

How can Dorsey not know?? I'm sure he's watching the same games we are...

In order to go down field successfully,

1. AS has to have the time for the play to develop (at least 1.5 sec)

2. The WR has to either beat the press coverage or out run past the DB

3. And AS11 must be able to step into the throw and try to throw an accurate pass.

The oline plays a major role in all of these factors, and they are just not performing 80% off the time. AS doesn't have a Brady, Rodgers or Stafford arm. He has to step into his throws and basically "wind up" to get it down field. Rodgers and Stafford can wing accurately 40 yards on the run. AS can not.

When Alex has the time, he throws a good ball.

That TD he threw to Kelcie a few weeks ago on the post was a bullet. He stepped into it.

The oline is atrocious. The receivers can't get open because they don't have time to get open. Manning would look like crap trying to survive behind that line.

Hudson and Fisher are the only ones worth keeping, and Fisher only because he could develop.

When Alex has the time, he throws a good ball.

That TD he threw to Kelcie a few weeks ago on the post was a bullet. He stepped into it.

The oline is atrocious. The receivers can't get open because they don't have time to get open. Manning would look like crap trying to survive behind that line.

Hudson and Fisher are the only ones worth keeping, and Fisher only because he could develop.

100% agree.

If this "raggedy ass oline" can play like they want to win, then we might get to see what the guy can really do. The oline played really good in the playoff game last year, and AS looked like a real NFL qb. 

Nonetheless, I still agree that he is the right qb for this team right now.

1. He's a tough SOB, who can take a hit

2. He can run and pick up yards when he needs to

3. He doesn't turn the ball over.

He does have his flaws, but at this point in time, I think he is the best person for the job.

Once the oline is fixed, and we get a WR or two,  then maybe we get to see Bray or Murray go down the field. (ala Donavan Macnabb)

Its not just our Line or just our WR's. Alex is in a decade into his football career and he's never been that kind of qb. Its the QB! 10 previous years tell you, hey i cant/dont make them kind of throws. therefore, i'd rather take the sack. Of course there is always an exception to the rule. He has made them throws, but the percentage is so small, its not even a legitimate debate.

I see your point. But if I were the coach, I would not want to throw it up deep and let the WR out run or out play the CB.

Just a challenge, with Avery hurt and before we signed Avant, name one team with less talent at WR. I can't. The lowly Raiders have a better corp than us. San Diego is way better. Allen/ Floyd/Royal would be a monster upgrade.

In Denver, Welker can't even get on the field and he would be the most talented WR on our team or tied for it. Just saying, you pair that with maybe the worst line in the league and the QB at least gets an "unable to evaluate".

I think we play it out . Don't sell the future to win a lower draft pick. We are having a great year especially considering the injuries. I don't know why people are down.

I see your point. But if I were the coach, I would not want to throw it up deep and let the WR out run or out play the CB.

Just a challenge, with Avery hurt and before we signed Avant, name one team with less talent at WR. I can't. The lowly Raiders have a better corp than us. San Diego is way better. Allen/ Floyd/Royal would be a monster upgrade.

In Denver, Welker can't even get on the field and he would be the most talented WR on our team or tied for it. Just saying, you pair that with maybe the worst line in the league and the QB at least gets an "unable to evaluate".

I think we play it out . Don't sell the future to win a lower draft pick. We are having a great year especially considering the injuries. I don't know why people are down.

I said that this board is thebestboard because people don't do this here - at least not tithe frequency of other boards - but some people are down on this team because they want to be the sophisticated one with high standards. High standards are fine for who you have as people should achieve as much as they can for their abilities as a team and then draft time ask for replacements, but overachieving with who you currently have should be enjoyed. The off-season is when I would worry most.

The way I see it is if we do not make the playoffs, we will have plenty of time to make all the criticisms. That's why I don't start right now. We have plenty of football to go. Saying we have plenty of football to go doesn't mean we're going to win. But it does mean that if they do, well then, it changes what I think. We'll have plenty of time later to discuss the stuff and to get emotional now is a waste of energy for me. Being rah-rah if it is not your personality is a waste of energy, too

Archived