I'm sticking with Alex Smith

Guest Chieftain

Change the date to 2010, insert Matt Cassel's name and its the same old worn out reasoning to support the QB of your team.

I get it; as someone else said, "He's all we got until we move on".....

Chicken Salad/ChickenSh*t

By the time Matt left the Chiefs, his winning percentage was 40% of the games he started in. If you take out the flukish 2010 season he had in which he won 67% of the games he started in he wound up with a whopping 28% win percentage. While Alex Smith has his limitations, predominantly in the fact that he has a bad record in high scoring games, since leading the Chiefs at QB he has a 67% winning percentage and i expect that trend to continue. Plus Smith has won in the playoffs and historically has risen to the occasion in his minimal playoff experience.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heres a great write up on alex smith..

puts things in perspective I do believe..

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2014/12/04/film-room-kansas-city-chiefs-look-answers-alex-smith-isnt-problem-2/

That was a good article. I appreciated the final quote from Robert Mays:

I’m in pain just thinking about how Alex Smith feels this morning. The Broncos sacked Smith six times last night, and hit him a total of 12 times. That’s a lot for any quarterback, but it’s even more ridiculous considering just how little Kansas City actually had the ball. The Chiefs ran only 44 plays, and 15 of those were runs. That means Smith got hit on 41 percent of his dropbacks.

That last stat is just brutal. Some of those weren't just "hits" -- they were HITS.

Agreed. True, we are homers, but comparing Cassel to Smith is a stretch.

agreed. Cassel was below average. Smith is Average always around the middle of the pack.   Cassel was beyond terrible how they stuck with him for as long as they did is beyond me. 

By the time Matt left the Chiefs, his winning percentage was 40% of the games he started in. If you take out the flukish 2010 season he had in which he won 67% of the games he started in he wound up with a whopping 28% win percentage. While Alex Smith has his limitations, predominantly in the fact that he has a bad record in high scoring games, since leading the Chiefs at QB he has a 67% winning percentage and i expect that trend to continue. Plus Smith has won in the playoffs and historically has risen to the occasion in his minimal playoff experience.

Thats more coaching through. Reid knows his limits with  Smith and calls the gameplay accordlingly.  Our Defense has also gotten alot better then the Cassel era.   ALOT ALOT better. That helps win games.

Smith always shows up for small spurts in a game, never a complete game. IN the play off game last year, his first half was amazing. 2nd half was really really bad.   SMith always has 2-3 drives per game where he's on, then thats it pretty much. IF they dont score TD's in them 2-3 drives. Chiefs arent winning.

what do you think 'jump ball joe flacco' would like behind this line............SHIT.

Fuckin All Pro. Duh!!

And my premise on "he's all the chiefs have" is just that. Weather the fans stick with al or not. He is the qb no matter what. Nothing we do or say will change that until the org moves on. My support is starting to wain because he is too damn conservative. Weather it's his inability, fear, wr's, or o-line, I dont know?? but it's wearing thin in me.

Fuckin All Pro. Duh!!

And my premise on "he's all the chiefs have" is just that. Weather the fans stick with al or not. He is the qb no matter what. Nothing we do or say will change that until the org moves on. My support is starting to wain because he is too damn conservative. Whether it's his inability, fear, wr's, or o-line, I dont know?? but it's wearing thin on me.

Yup

Guest Chueftain

Thats more coaching through. Reid knows his limits with Smith and calls the gameplay accordlingly. Our Defense has also gotten alot better then the Cassel

era. ALOT ALOT better. That helps win games.

Smith always shows up for small spurts in a game, never a complete game. IN the play off game last year, his first half was amazing. 2nd half was really really bad. SMith always has 2-3 drives per game where he's on, then thats it pretty much. IF they dont score TD's in them 2-3 drives. Chiefs arent winning.

While I agree a lot of his success is due to coaching and defense, he is smarter and makes better, more accurate throws to receivers than Cassel did. He's not like Brady, Manning or Rodgers but he makes plays and completions to win games.

I don't expect a QB to be successful every single drive because they are going up against an NFL defense and some plays and drives a defense will play better than the QB and offense. Last weeks game, the great Peyton Manning had a great 1st half. In the 2nd half after he got strip sacked by Houston, he didn't play so well. He almost threw 2 interceptions, maybe 3.

Thats more coaching through. Reid knows his limits with Smith and calls the gameplay accordlingly. Our Defense has also gotten alot better then the Cassel era. ALOT ALOT better. That helps win games.

Smith always shows up for small spurts in a game, never a complete game. IN the play off game last year, his first half was amazing. 2nd half was really really bad. SMith always has 2-3 drives per game where he's on, then thats it pretty much. IF they dont score TD's in them 2-3 drives. Chiefs arent winning.

The second half wasn't really bad. It was classic run out the clock offense with one bad throw (incomplete not intercepted). If you look at the stat line 30-40 percent of the yards were in the second half and a touchdown. Incomplete game, for sure, but part of it was gameplan with a lead. They should have stayed aggressive.

The second half wasn't really bad. It was classic run out the clock offense with one bad throw (incomplete not intercepted). If you look at the stat line 30-40 percent of the yards were in the second half and a touchdown. Incomplete game, for sure, but part of it was gameplan with a lead. They should have stayed aggressive.

Alex did have Davis open all by himself with no one within 15-20 yards of Davis and Smith overthrow him big time. That was the killer.  Now. In no way shape or form should the colts have came back. That was WHY we lost, but just pointing out we should have scored more.  Ill never ever put the blame on Alex for that loss. It was  all Defense.

What was really good about that article? Well, I guess I'll give in that it talks about 1 game against the Broncos and for that I agree, but it doesn't explain the whole season.

We know the Chiefs O-line is brutal. We also know that Alex Smith doesn't always find open receivers down the field when there is no pressure. Acting as though Alex should receive zero blame isn't the correct way to go about things.

Alex Smith hasn't been "good". You look at that play on page 4 of the article, that should be a quick, immediate dump to Charles that Smith should have made. Yes, the Broncos did a great job with getting pressure on Smith, but plays like that you have to deliver the football to the wide open back underneath. The other plays, well he was fucked and I give him credit for taking the sack.

The Chiefs O-line... well, the whole bunch outside of Hudson is a steaming pile of shit. The Chiefs really need to do something in the offseason to address it. If Seattle's James Carpenter comes available, the Chiefs should be ready with a Brinks truck. Then, draft O-lineman like its going out of style.

Lets not act, though, like the Chiefs offensive line has looked that bad and that porous the entire season. It hasn't. The line has been bad, but there are countless examples to the contrary. There are countless plays Smith was to blame. Some also where the receivers were to blame.

I can blame a lot of people today, but I really can't defend Smith this game. Throw a deep pick on the last play of the game, Alex. Or get sacked trying. I hate just getting an incomplete way too short on fourth down. No short passes in this situation. Get deep incompletes on 1-3 and a deep INT on fourth.

Obviously, I want the completion and TD, but just I hate the end of the games. I only hated the Niners loss because of who it was to, but I liked that we were trying.

I can blame a lot of people today, but I really can't defend Smith this game. Throw a deep pick on the last play of the game, Alex. Or get sacked trying. I hate just getting an incomplete way too short on fourth down. No short passes in this situation. Get deep incompletes on 1-3 and a deep INT on fourth.

Obviously, I want the completion and TD, but just I hate the end of the games. I only hated the Niners loss because of who it was to, but I liked that we were trying.

Alex Smith proved he would rather lose than risk throwing an interception. Who throws 2 yard passes without giving his receivers a chance to get out of bounds? after gaining about 4 or 5 yards, 30 or 40 seconds were gone.

Alex Smith proved he would rather lose than risk throwing an interception. Who throws 2 yard passes without giving his receivers a chance to get out of bounds? after gaining about 4 or 5 yards, 30 or 40 seconds were gone.

Disagree about proof, just indication that he didn't make it work, but am too disappointed in us and him to defend/elaborate. Frustrated. Thought fourth down would be a big attempt, but fall short.

Disagree about proof, just indication that he didn't make it work, but am too disappointed in us and him to defend/elaborate. Frustrated. Thought fourth down would be a big attempt, but fall short.

You have to take chances down the field to win a game. Those time consuming useless flair passes were pathetic. I would have so much more respect taking a shot at winning and getting intercepted than those gutless dink and dunks and everybody saying "Alex Smith really takes care of the ball. Look at his low interception rate." There are dozens of QBs in the NFL AND college who can hand the ball off to JC, throw a 2 yard check down or a 4 yard slant. This guy has been doing nothing to help WIN games.

You have to take chances down the field to win a game. Those time consuming useless flair passes were pathetic. I would have so much more respect taking a shot at winning and getting intercepted than those gutless dink and dunks and everybody saying "Alex Smith really takes care of the ball. Look at his low interception rate." There are dozens of QBs in the NFL AND college who can hand the ball off to JC, throw a 2 yard check down or a 4 yard slant. This guy has been doing nothing to help WIN games.

I came and posted because I was frustrated for the same reason as you. He hasn't won many games with us in the last few minutes that he hadn't put away early by playing winning ball and making good decisions. Games are won in many ways and before the ending of games. It is just more evident when it comes in the last minutes. He has been under pressure and won earlier in games.

I'll leave your comment basically alone about a lot of others doing it because a lot do fail and we've already known he wasn't great/elite. Better support will bring better results and he'd be good enough. We need a team, not perfection, for it to work out with him. Same said for many QBs and some QBs lose with good teams around them.

Archived