I'm sticking with Alex Smith

I wasn't a member of this forum at the beginning of this season, but all along I was alarmed by the lack of continuity on the Chiefs' offensive line, and the lack of any real depth. I lobbied for an offensive lineman to be drafted, but that didn't happen, and back in May I indicated that my biggest concern was not the Chiefs' quarterback or the Chiefs' receivers. My biggest concern was the offensive line.

It's nice to see everyone coming around on that. Most everyone is late to the party, but it usually ends up that way.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to take chances down the field to win a game. Those time consuming useless flair passes were pathetic. I would have so much more respect taking a shot at winning and getting intercepted than those gutless dink and dunks and everybody saying "Alex Smith really takes care of the ball. Look at his low interception rate." There are dozens of QBs in the NFL AND college who can hand the ball off to JC, throw a 2 yard check down or a 4 yard slant. This guy has been doing nothing to help WIN games.

Yep,  Defense can only do so much. We are 7-6 and the Defense has NOT giving up more then 29 points in a game this season.  If we had any kind of offensive pass threat, This team should be 10-3 at least.

I wasn't a member of this forum at the beginning of this season, but all along I was alarmed by the lack of continuity on the Chiefs' offensive line, and the lack of any real depth. I lobbied for an offensive lineman to be drafted, but that didn't happen, and back in May I indicated that my biggest concern was not the Chiefs' quarterback or the Chiefs' receivers. My biggest concern was the offensive line.

It's nice to see everyone coming around on that. Most everyone is late to the party, but it usually ends up that way.

I totally agree with you on the O line.  The Chiefs might have the worst group in the league.

I hope the Chiefs can get some free agent O linemen.  I fear Charles will be past his prime by the time the O line can be fixed via the draft only.

why won't andy at least try anyone else at LG?

I'm 50 AND HAVE A BUSTED BACK...GIVE ME A SHOT!!!!

LDT. The Chiefs' backup at LG is LDT. He is still on the team because of his potential value to the team. However, he is really bad at this point in his career. If they put him on the practice team, other teams will pick him up. They have hid him thus far, and they'll keep him there the remainder of the season. It was a choice they made when they decided to take him.

Jeff Allen was supposed to be the LG. Allen has been fairly healthy during his career. Losing him after one game was not anticipated.

To say the problem is "A" or "B" is too simplistic. The Chiefs have multiple issues that need to be addressed in the near future. I agree the Oline is the single biggest problem but hardly the only one as others have pointed out. I am losing my patience with Alex Smith. I have never seen a QB so hesitant to throw beyond 5 yards. "Well his receivers aren't open". Throw it anyway. I saw a lot of receivers covered yesterday in other games and somehow the QB still fired the ball where they made catches. Well Smith doesn't do that. Exactly. Coaching? Don't get me started.

LDT. The Chiefs' backup at LG is LDT. He is still on the team because of his potential value to the team. However, he is really bad at this point in his career. If they put him on the practice team, other teams will pick him up. They have hid him thus far, and they'll keep him there the remainder of the season. It was a choice they made when they decided to take him.

Jeff Allen was supposed to be the LG. Allen has been fairly healthy during his career. Losing him after one game was not anticipated.

I hate that we hold on to bad players because they have some hidden potential that could pan out down the road. Isn't that what happened with Eric Warfield. He was supposed to have untapped talent so they hung with him. I remember he could never turn his head when the ball was in the air and got a lot of PI calls. I remember that. 

could smith be injured? during the rams game I think he hurt his shoulder near half time..just think it could be possible..because all this talk of he never throws deep really isn't true..

remember this time last year?...he was airing it out..the offense really took off as the defense faltered..

of course this o line is worse than last years..could be that simple...

could smith be injured? during the rams game I think he hurt his shoulder near half time..just think it could be possible..because all this talk of he never throws deep really isn't true..

remember this time last year?...he was airing it out..the offense really took off as the defense faltered..

of course this o line is worse than last years..could be that simple...

Quite possibly. The last time that Smith got injured, he lost his job despite playing very well. He isn't playing as well this year, so that could be an issue (although Chase couldn't take his job). Also, we don't have much margin of error so him missing a game would be a big deal.

Eli Manning since 2013: 41 passing touchdowns, 40 interceptions.

"Throw it anyway" is not a winning strategy.

Down by 3 needing a field goal to tie? "Throw it any way" is a pretty good strategy. Eli Manning threw some pretty clutch forward passes that were longer than 3 yards while WINNING 2 Super Bowls.

Down by 3 needing a field goal to tie? "Throw it any way" is a pretty good strategy. Eli Manning threw some pretty clutch forward passes that were longer than 3 yards while WINNING 2 Super Bowls.

Show me a year where Eli Manning won anything and his team's defense wasn't awesome.

Come back and show me when he has one. Eli Manning never did anything in less than perfect circumstances. I would have loved to have seen him as a Charger.

I agree for fourth down.

For 1-3, I wasn't ok with it, but wouldn't agree they throwing it anyway would be good unless it was clearly our guy or no one. Stop the clock, you know? I wish they wouldn't have had the run to the sidelines short plays. I'd rather take a throw it over someone's head. Three yards gets us nothing when you factor in lost clock. Chances of breaking one big on a short sideline throw is small enough that clock is more important.

I'm just glad he didn't spike it on fourth down to stop the clock. That would be like McNabb thinking games didn't end in ties. Or like the butt fumble but mentally instead of physically.

Show me a year where Eli Manning won anything and his team's defense wasn't awesome.

Come back and show me when he has one. Eli Manning never did anything in less than perfect circumstances. I would have loved to have seen him as a Charger.

I. 2011 he threw for 4900 yards 29 TD and 15 ints. In the play offs that year he threw 9 TD passes to 1 interception. His play off record is also ,8-3. Not shabby

Play offyards per game in the 2011 season were. 277; 330, 317 and 296 in the Super Bowl.

But naw it was all his defense

I. 2011 he threw for 4900 yards 29 TD and 15 ints. In the play offs that year he threw 9 TD passes to 1 interception. His play off record is also ,8-3. Not shabby

Play offyards per game in the 2011 season were. 277; 330, 317 and 296 in the Super Bowl.

But naw it was all his defense

Stats aside.

There was a sideline pass he made in a playoff game that stands out to me. and that famous shot to Dave Tyree.  Do you think Al would have taken the chance with either of those throws?  I don't.

No doubt Eli had some great D-lines gettin em along, but he took his shots and they paid off in spades, err Lombardi's.

Stats aside.

There was a sideline pass he made in a playoff game that stands out to me. and that famous shot to Dave Tyree.  Do you think Al would have taken the chance with either of those throws?  I don't.

No doubt he had some great D-lines gettin em along but he took his shots and they paid off in spades, err Lombardi's.

Thats play to Tyree is the reason why you just fucking throw it up to your WR. Something like that CAN Happen.  I do know when you throw for 3 yards and the guy is covered by 3 people its not going to happen. 

Alex just does NOT want to give up that INT and will go out of his way to prevent it.   Im all for not wanting to throw interceptions, but not if its going to cost us a W.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Alex's contract has something in it that pays him MORE if he doesn't throw a certain number of int's...Some kinda of incentive to keep his interceptions down.

That's the only thing I can think of. I've seen his receivers be NFL open, and he still will not throw it. If you watch him when he drops back, he looks at his first read, and if it's not open, he doesn't really go through anymore progressions. He just tucks the ball and takes his eyes off of the receivers and starts running around.

Yes, the online is a sieve, but there has been many times where all he has to do is step up in the pocket, stand tall, and deliver. 99% of time he does not.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Alex's contract has something in it that pays him MORE if he doesn't throw a certain number of int's...Some kinda of incentive to keep his interceptions down.

That's the only thing I can think of. I've seen his receivers be NFL open, and he still will not throw it. If you watch him when he drops back, he looks at his first read, and if it's not open, he doesn't really go through anymore progressions. He just tucks the ball and takes his eyes off of the receivers and starts running around.

Yes, the online is a sieve, but there has been many times where all he has to do is step up in the pocket, stand tall, and deliver. 99% of time he does not.

No way. There may be a winning factor in the contract. I can't explain the fourth down play other than to say as strongly as anyone can say otherwise that Smith does not care about his rating. He may trust that being safe is the best approach, that pressing is what kills you, that time of possession is king, etc., but it isn't to get stupid ratings or a bit more spending money. If anything, he would be careful to keep winning so he isn't replaced. Or he'd be pressing to try and put up numbers that keeps him here.

He's not sacrificing a chance to win a game, ultimately what would keep him playing, for a few hundred thousand hypothetically. He believes in the strategy and it works but for a fumble, offensive PI, or INT, but he needs to throw the plan out the window on the last drive like he did in the SF game. Or at least on fourth down.

He's not perfect and his strategy is not perfect. He needs to adjust. But it doesn't mean that he wasn't operating under his strategy as opposed to him caring about interceptions or money.

not perfect is saying it nicely. That  last drive with 1:16 to play was THE WORST 2 min drill i have ever seen in my life.   1-100  it was a 1.  There was absolutely nothing good about that failed drive.  I just keep thinking, it cant be this bad. then on 4th down he throws it 3 yards to a RB thats covered by 3 people.

Yep, it was that bad.

I can't help but think the Andy the" quarterback whisper" is in his ear telling him above all things don't throw picks..the margin of error is so close all they want is quick check downs due to a shitty line and  play tough defense.

not perfect is saying it nicely. That last drive with 1:16 to play was THE WORST 2 min drill i have ever seen in my life. 1-100 it was a 1. There was absolutely nothing good about that failed drive. I just keep thinking, it cant be this bad. then on 4th down he throws it 3 yards to a RB thats covered by 3 people.

Yep, it was that bad.

Again, I was pissed with that drive. That drive was not part of the strategy. At least, that fourth-down was not part of the strategy. Leading right up to the Kelce fumble, that was the strategy. Without that fumble, we might've won that game - with that strategy. Without the offensive pass interference call we might've won with that strategy. The problem was that last drive as I said many times. Also, leaving too small margin of error.

Archived