I'm sticking with Alex Smith

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With this franchise and history, trading for Smith was risky, too. If he matched Cassel with losses? Risky in a way, by not getting a QB early and sending two first rounders away, plus if Derek Carr ends up being the next best AFC West QB after Manning retires.

The difference is that KC could move on earlier from Smith, but the rookie scale fixes that, too.

I know you know this, and it was just a typo, but we traded two second round picks for Smith, not two first round picks.  Its still a lot, but the last couple of years have sure revived interest in the franchise.  That is worth a lot.

I know you know this, and it was just a typo, but we traded two second round picks for Smith, not two first round picks. Its still a lot, but the last couple of years have sure revived interest in the franchise. That is worth a lot.

Oops. Yes, I meant second rounders. D'oh!

if you give smith just a little time and recievers that can actually catch the ball he can operate at a high level..

the big difference yesterday was no mcspinn.

The big difference is he heard the rumblings and throw the ball downfield deep 3 times and he had only done that 4 times since the start of the season.  

Its not like people are asking Alex to throw the ball deep every 3rd pass, but once in a while. Make the defense play the whole field and not just  focus on Jamaal Charles.  I was in complete shock that he tried.  He heard the media, he heard the fans, because there has been plenty of times where his WR's  had gotten open and he's just not let it go.  IT was good to see.

That being said, we got 2 tough ass games.  Win 2 you are in, end up 1-1 and chances are, its season over. Alex Smith has GOT to step up and continue to make the defense respect him.   Can he do it? i doubt it, but i hope he does. In the end im a Chiefs fan and all i want is 2 wins.

The big difference is he heard the rumblings and throw the ball downfield deep 3 times and he had only done that 4 times since the start of the season.

Its not like people are asking Alex to throw the ball deep every 3rd pass, but once in a while. Make the defense play the whole field and not just focus on Jamaal Charles. I was in complete shock that he tried. He heard the media, he heard the fans, because there has been plenty of times where his WR's had gotten open and he's just not let it go. IT was good to see.

That being said, we got 2 tough ass games. Win 2 you are in, end up 1-1 and chances are, its season over. Alex Smith has GOT to step up and continue to make the defense respect him. Can he do it? i doubt it, but i hope he does. In the end im a Chiefs fan and all i want is 2 wins.

The dude is very very smart. That's why I like him.

Its not like people are asking Alex to throw the ball deep every 3rd pass, but once in a while. Make the defense play the whole field and not just  focus on Jamaal Charles.  I was in complete shock that he tried.  He heard the media, he heard the fans, because there has been plenty of times where his WR's  had gotten open and he's just not let it go.  IT was good to see.

That being said, we got 2 tough ass games.  Win 2 you are in, end up 1-1 and chances are, its season over. Alex Smith has GOT to step up and continue to make the defense respect him.   Can he do it? i doubt it, but i hope he does. In the end im a Chiefs fan and all i want is 2 wins.

Great post.  Smith IS smart.  Reid wants to run the dink and dunk, which admittedly, is well suited to Smith's strong points and the presence of Charles.  But a coach has to be a bit flexible, and when things get unbalanced, and teams are exploiting that lack of balance, you have to try some different things.  It has bothered me that they have stuck with their primary game so stubbornly, despite a three game stretch in which it was obvious that teams had figured out exactly how to thwart it.  It took three losses for Reid and/or Smith to seriously try to stretch the field a bit.  Maybe it was other factors, but lack of protection was the main thing, and McGlynn really was the main culprit.  They should have switched him out of there two weeks ago.  Stubborn.  So, I still have my doubts about Reid and Peterson.  Anyway, they showed some recognition of that yesterday.  I just don't think they have the horses to win the last two.  I would be surprised if they won even one of them.  But I have hopes for next season and the draft.  Dorsey and Reid work well together and seem to have an eye for finding people who can continue to strengthen us.  To have any chance of winning games against playoff caliber teams, we need to vastly improve the O-line...and get DJ back in there to help against the run.  Those things are not going to be there the next two games.  Sorry, all you optimists out there.

BTW, why have they not used Davis more??  They don't need him as a kickoff returner. They need him to spell Charles more often and throw him the ball, like that 70 yard TD.  He is a fine receiver who can break out of the grasp of almost any safety, if he has momentum.  That was an excellent design play by the staff, but it looked to me that Davis was still option #2.  Credit Smith for picking him quickly on that play.

One thing I noticed is in Smith's press conference he said that the play calling was aggressive and the players downfield did a great job. I don't read it this way, but one could read that as saying that the playcalling was the reason why we weren't being aggressive before and or players weren't getting is open down field. Smith will always be conservative, but if the playcalling is aggressive, maybe at that heightens the floor. The ceiling heightens as well but the ceiling is limited to however far the end zone is and how long the offensive line can protect.

Aside: I think it is funny that in order for the speech recognition software to understand the work, I have to pronounce offensive line as "offensive." (As in rude, disgusting, etc.) Offensive line as we normally pronounce it turns out to be offense of line.

Great post. Smith IS smart. Reid wants to run the dink and dunk, which admittedly, is well suited to Smith's strong points and the presence of Charles. But a coach has to be a bit flexible, and when things get unbalanced, and teams are exploiting that lack of balance, you have to try some different things. It has bothered me that they have stuck with their primary game so stubbornly, despite a three game stretch in which it was obvious that teams had figured out exactly how to thwart it. It took three losses for Reid and/or Smith to seriously try to stretch the field a bit. Maybe it was other factors, but lack of protection was the main thing, and McGlynn really was the main culprit. They should have switched him out of there two weeks ago. Stubborn. So, I still have my doubts about Reid and Peterson. Anyway, they showed some recognition of that yesterday. I just don't think they have the horses to win the last two. I would be surprised if they won even one of them. But I have hopes for next season and the draft. Dorsey and Reid work well together and seem to have an eye for finding people who can continue to strengthen us. To have any chance of winning games against playoff caliber teams, we need to vastly improve the O-line...and get DJ back in there to help against the run. Those things are not going to be there the next two games. Sorry, all you optimists out there.

BTW, why have they not used Davis more?? They don't need him as a kickoff returner. They need him to spell Charles more often and throw him the ball, like that 70 yard TD. He is a fine receiver who can break out of the grasp of almost any safety, if he has momentum. That was an excellent design play by the staff, but it looked to me that Davis was still option #2. Credit Smith for picking him quickly on that play.

I wonder how far Charles would have gone if he had caught that one pass that was right to him and had field in front of him? Smith would certainly have gone over 300 yards. But maybe the changes the game and we don't get that 70 yarder. (I say maybe as opposed to definitely because we might've called that play later and they may not of been prepared for it anyway.)

Smith had a good game against a bad team. He is paid to have good games. Now it's time to outplay Roethlisberger. This will be a shoot out.

Disclaimer: I am only quoting your post because it refers to a shootout; this post is not directed at you.

As far as scoring points, our offense scored 44 points in the playoffs. Smith scored 2 touchdowns in four minutes in the playoffs game against the Saints. So we are capable of doing it. Now, will we? I don't know.

People like talk about how Alex Smith's teams don't win shootouts, but as long as you can do it, that's never an indication of how any individual game will go. It's more of an overall tendency. Some games also are designed to milk the clock, how could you have a shoot out with that unless you have a terrible defense and an efficient offense that scores on long drives?

For example, you could say in 20 games that are shootouts, Smith will be win fewer games than X quarterback. However, for any individual given game you can't say that he will lose.

There was a stat out there that I don't care for that talked about teams that scored more than certain number of points and his record. That to me doesn't indicate what people want it to indicate because if you win a blowout you are putting up points. So what if the other team scored X number of points if you could score? If one is talking about scoring on a high percentage of possessions, then as I said we have scored that amount.

If one wants to say that it's pressure, then all that matters is clutch moments, not total points. If you win a close game in clutch moments, but you happen to have those scores below that amount, one didn't show that he couldn't do it by those numbers.

I like football because it is complex, but I don't like it because people take these things and make it out to represent something that it doesn't. One could still make those claims but use the appropriate stats.

BTW, why have they not used Davis more??  They don't need him as a kickoff returner. They need him to spell Charles more often and throw him the ball, like that 70 yard TD.  He is a fine receiver who can break out of the grasp of almost any safety, if he has momentum.  That was an excellent design play by the staff, but it looked to me that Davis was still option #2.  Credit Smith for picking him quickly on that play.

I dont know if its true or not, but from other websites and forums i heard rumblings of him being in the doghouse with Reid.  Just like  Kelce supposedly was earlier.    Could be BS, who knows, but that would explain some.

I dont know if its true or not, but from other websites and forums i heard rumblings of him being in the doghouse with Reid. Just like Kelce supposedly was earlier. Could be BS, who knows, but that would explain some.

I'm not sure why/ dude is our future.

I wouldn't put too much stock in rumblings from websites and forums.  Reid sure played him on Sunday and had to be happy with his performance.  I know Reid is sometimes toughest on the guys he thinks have the most potential.

Well, he wasnt being used and now that i thnk about it, it might have been a KC Chiefs reporter.  Maybe it was that Terez Paylor dude or whatever his name.  It would explain alot on why he's not been playing.  The first few games of the season, Davis was killing it, then he just dissapeared. Had to be a reason.

seems to me he "disappeared" after fumbling against seattle...

if not seattle then another game somewhere in that time period...

also he was a bad "blitz picker upper"...looks like he has improved some since then...  he jacked up up the blitzing fader player last week..

maybe hes ready now...the chiefs can certainly use any and all big plays they can get.

Knile Davis has had three problems. One, picking the right hole. Two, not hitting it quick enough... too much dancing around. Three, fumbles. 

Knile has great size, speed, and ability to run the ball. He seemed to have been better last year. 

Archived