I'm sticking with Alex Smith

The Chiefs are oddly enough like the Simpsons. Close enough to sniff the prize yet fail to the big boys like Monte Burns & Co. 

Whats crazy, is that this happens with whoever is in charge here.  Marty, Vermeil,  Herm, Haley, Reid.  The will do just enough to stick the carrot out there, but never quite get it.

There are only 2 constants here. The owner and the Quarterback.  Its like no matter what this franchise does, they get to ALMOST.   Its just never quite right for whatever reason.   The last 4-5 years made me look at football differently.  Its made me bitter about the sport, i wont lie. I enjoy the sport, but knowing your team will never really quite get over the hump takes steam out of you as a fan. 

All i can think right now is, When do Catchers and Pitchers report.   At least i know my baseball team has a legit chance to win it all.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, I was right about this game. After watching the previous four weeks, it was clear that we are not playoff material this year. We need better lines. Period. Some of it will improve with experience. But we need an offensive guard and RT. And we need D-line help, as well. This should be a draft to get the best linemen possible. Thats how you win in the NFL. We have playmakers. We need guys to block. I do think Fisher will blossom next year. But he needs help. I am beginning to like Dee Ford.

Didn't u say defense would struggle? I think they were solid again..

Smith had enough chances to show us something today. He did not. Players open in the end zone.....he throw the swing pass for a loss.....missed wide open guys.....took unnecessary sacks... threw the ball ob instead of at least throwing it downfield, in the area, with a possible flag for PI. Smith is a choke and belongs in chokeland.

It feels like Cassel again. We give him every excuse. THrow the ball downfield jack ass.

Didn't u say defense would struggle? I think they were solid again..

No.  I said that the Steeler offense was THAT good.  Our D was decent. Steelers scored less than their average.  i assumed they would get their average. But we stopped them a couple of times.

Smith had enough chances to show us something today. He did not. Players open in the end zone.....he throw the swing pass for a loss.....missed wide open guys.....took unnecessary sacks... threw the ball ob instead of at least throwing it downfield, in the area, with a possible flag for PI. Smith is a choke and belongs in chokeland.

It feels like Cassel again. We give him every excuse. THrow the ball downfield jack ass.

Russell Wilson is a championship type franchise QB. Just amazing the kind of touch passes he makes down field along with his scrambles. He single-handily is beating the ARZ defense. Those were the plays we desperately needed when we played ARZ. 

Russell Wilson is a championship type franchise QB. Just amazing the kind of touch passes he makes down field along with his scrambles. He single-handily is beating the ARZ defense. Those were the plays we desperately needed when we played ARZ.

So is Lynch...wish we had a rb that could run through tackles.

So is Lynch...wish we had a rb that could run through tackles.

Seattle will at least get to the SB if not repeat. These boys are winners and seemingly dynasty in waiting. Seems like that's where the league is going these days and the advantage in the NFL. Brains and Brawns. 

Seattle will at least get to the SB if not repeat. These boys are winners and seemingly dynasty in waiting. Should have drafted Wilson. We have to draft a light-skinned QB seems like that's where the league is going these days. Brains and Brawns.

Maybe the Chiefs brass should wrote a book on how not to run a franchise. They seem to have made all the mistakes you can make and then some that only they are capable of.

No. I said that the Steeler offense was THAT good. Our D was decent. Steelers scored less than their average. i assumed they would get their average. But we stopped them a couple of times.

If our offense helped more you would see even better results. Give the defense credit. They are very good. 15 games no 300 yard passes. Tightend the run defense back up too.

• 1 year later...

I didn't compare the two- I just said you could insert Smith's name into a 2010 or 2011 post about cassel and its pretty much the same worn out reasoning that was used back them

But trying to compare cassel and Smiths winning percentages with such a small sample set is a follay and a farce- they cant compare.

But If AReid is such a great coach, why are they winning the division with Smith throwing for 5000 yds....

Why does Flacco need to be thrown in the conversation? Jealousy?

Yup, real jealous. 

Jeremy Maclin quietly reached 985 receiving yards on the year. He's 15 yards away from becoming Alex Smith's first 1,000 yard receiver.

Smith is also just 108 yards shy of his single-season record of 3,313 passing yards (set in 2013).

All this is happening while the Chiefs field what may be their worst offensive line since Smith arrived in 2013.

Despite fielding backup runningbacks for most of the year, the Chiefs also lead the league in total rushing touchdowns. As a rate, the Chiefs score a rushing touchdown once out of fewer than every 21 carries. Second place by that measure are the Steelers, who score a rushing touchdown once out of about every 25 carries (they also have been fielding a backup runningback for most of the year).

The Chiefs rank fifth in total points from field goals and successful extra point attempts. Three of the four teams ahead of them have already clinched a playoff berth.

Smith really does make the whole better than the sum of its parts. You would never know it just going off of his individual stat line, but when you look at the total package including how he manages the game, there aren't many quarterbacks in the league that are outright better.

Smith reminds me of Aikman, I don’t think that he isn’t capable of putting up huge numbers, I just think he would rather win, and he is doing that at a pace no other kc quarterback has since he has been here. QB for two of the longest winning streaks in franchise history, best winning percentage after 3 years in kc history. Yet you guys want to bitch about what you perceive to be his weaknesses.

Yep.  Smith does have some limitations as a QB, but the thing he has going for him is that he seems to realize those limitations and doesn't try and do something he is not capable of or good at.  It would  be nice at times to have a gunslinger in there, but it is also nice to just win baby.  In this day of the me me me me me players, it sure is refreshing to have a guy that is all about the team and winning.  Regardless of the accolades that come his way.

It would  be nice at times to have a gunslinger in there

I understand that your comment was pro-Smith, but I wonder why so many people have expressed the desire for this idea in particular.

Why is having a "gunslinger" so important to some fans? Quarterbacks cannot win games their teammates lose (see Chiefs vs. Broncos, week two), so if you could choose, Why would you want a quarterback that can lose games his teammates played well enough to win instead of a quarterback that consistently wins games his teammates played well enough to win?

I'm not sure people even know what exactly they mean when they say "gunslinger", as when you start listing off the things a "gunslinger" does, those are often things Smith does (or at least, has done).

Alex Smith has been exactly what we needed during this winning streak. He's been averaging about 200 yds a game with only 1 INT. His last 3 games have been under 200 yds. The defense has been scoring like crazy and giving the offense great field position. The running game has been impressive. AS has run for a first downs in critical situations. At this point we don't need a gunslinger. I will take this formula any day.

Alex Smith is playing the best football of his career the past 8-9 games. I can't say much bad about him. He's pushing the ball more than ever and he's not missing near as many reads. He hasn't been captain check-down since Charles went out. That's case-in-point. Alex Smith is a better player without Charles. Funny to think about really.

Alex Smith is playing the best football of his career the past 8-9 games. I can't say much bad about him. He's pushing the ball more than ever and he's not missing near as many reads. He hasn't been captain check-down since Charles went out. That's case-in-point. Alex Smith is a better player without Charles. Funny to think about really.

I feel he is now playing with the confidence and knowledge of the offense that he had right before his concussion in San Francisco. The difference is that Reid wants him to push the ball down the field more than Harbaugh did and Maclin is better than Crabtree.

Now, when Kaepernick came out, he was pushing down the field a lot but a lot of that was due to match ups and the fact that nobody had any film on Kaepernick. His propensity to run helped that. He was also playing with house money and therefore he knew that if he threw interceptions he went back to his old job, but if those risks paid off it would lead to a starting job. Getting Smith to take more shots was important for our offense.

The next year Kaepernick was a lot more conservative once it was his full season job and that worked because he ran a lot as well. Once teams started keeping him in the pocket and was put with Harbaugh's conservatism, it didn't work out, especially with the defensive decline, which is contributed to by offensive failures.

Archived