I'm sticking with Alex Smith

KC may have to win on the arm of Alex Smith. First, Pittsburgh has one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. They are very good at protecting the QB, and blocking for running plays. Their LG, RG, and C are up there with anyone in the league. Their LT is small, but uses his leverage, and has been very effective. Their RT is their weakest link, but probably ranks average at the worst among RTs in the NFL. That means Pittsburgh will have time to pass, and room to run the ball. The Chiefs may have trouble slowing down their offense. So, If the Steelers get a lead, the Chiefs will have to throw the ball to keep in the game. Second, Pittsburgh's run defense is much better than their pass defense. This is not the defense of their past. They do not rush the QB, and they do not defend the pass very well. They do stop the run effectively. 

The Chiefs may be playing catch up with the Steelers in a high scoring game, and the Steelers are least effective against the pass. That is why we may see more of Alex Smith, and his passing game, this week

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KC may have to win on the arm of Alex Smith. First, Pittsburgh has one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. They are very good at protecting the QB, and blocking for running plays. Their LG, RG, and C are up there with anyone in the league. Their LT is small, but uses his leverage, and has been very effective. Their RT is their weakest link, but probably ranks average at the worst among RTs in the NFL. That means Pittsburgh will have time to pass, and room to run the ball. The Chiefs may have trouble slowing down their offense. So, If the Steelers get a lead, the Chiefs will have to throw the ball to keep in the game. Second, Pittsburgh's run defense is much better than their pass defense. This is not the defense of their past. They do not rush the QB, and they do not defend the pass very well. They do stop the run effectively. 

The Chiefs may be playing catch up with the Steelers in a high scoring game, and the Steelers are least effective against the pass. That is why we may see more of Alex Smith, and his passing game, this week

Open it up. Keep their defense honest. Like I said they're old and slow - not the Steelers of the SB decade. We will have to rely on Alex to open this game up for his. He has to play well for us to have a chance. Kniles Davis has the running style and build of a Priest Holmes, except much faster. Imagine if we had Roaf, Waters, Wiegmann, Shields, & Tate blocking...

Knile Davis has had three problems. One, picking the right hole. Two, not hitting it quick enough... too much dancing around. Three, fumbles.

Knile has great size, speed, and ability to run the ball. He seemed to have been better last year.

If you played sports you know it's hard to get a rhythm when you only play once in a while. Dude needs reps.

Ben is big and hard to take down, but he is a tad bit fragile. Hit him early and often, and he'll start making mistakes like every other qb. If Bailey plays, then we may see him and Howard/Poe pushing the pocket.

However, Ben does have a big Arm, and can throw pretty good without stepping up in the pocket. Nonetheless, I still think the key to beating them, is containing Bell.

I think its time to be starting some draft threads.  This has been an interesting season in the development of the Chiefs, but I feel very much that our hopes of an extended ride will end this weekend. My original prediction of 8-8 or thereabouts was probably pretty close.  Sometimes even being a fan has to give way to realism.  We aren't ready to beat a team with the Steelers' kind of lines this time of year with the playoffs at stake and on their turf without our crowd to drown out their signals.  We just aren't.  No shame in that.  Just realism.

(I would never say "never".  You never know how the ball will bounce, whether we will start to catch interceptable passes, if we can give Smith any time to throw against a good defense that KNOWS we have to throw.  There is always a small chance that Avant and Wilson will step up on deep passes and that we will get a fumble that goes our way or another ST touchdown.  But that seems pretty fanciful to me.  I am already in a "next year" frame of mind.  I'm not trying to harsh anyone's mellow.  But this is a game of pounds, speed, experience, and desire.)

We can get to him. Their line isn't all that. 32 sacks is nothing stellar. If not for him being bug, strong, and mobile, he'd be sacked 50 times this year. I've seen three of their games, they don't pass block for shit.

Are you saying he is a bug?  If so, I say squash him...unless this is Starship Troopers.  In that case, we'd better not even show up.

Seriously, if he is so easy to sack, and they haven't got a line good enough to protect him, why are they one of the best, if not the best, offense in the NFL?  They average over 28 points per game.  Have all of their 14 opponents just had lousy defenses?  One of their receivers has about 1500 yards so far, and another has about 1100.  Doesn't sound to me like they are very easily stopped.  This seems like a case of wishful thinking.

Are you saying he is a bug? If so, I say squash him...unless this is Starship Troopers. In that case, we'd better not even show up.

Seriously, if he is so easy to sack, and they haven't got a line good enough to protect him, why are they one of the best, if not the best, offense in the NFL? They average over 28 points per game. Have all of their 14 opponents just had lousy defenses? One of their receivers has about 1500 yards so far, and another has about 1100. Doesn't sound to me like they are very easily stopped. This seems like a case of wishful thinking.

I was strictly speaking of pressure on him. They are a great offense.

Are you saying he is a bug?  If so, I say squash him...unless this is Starship Troopers.  In that case, we'd better not even show up.

Seriously, if he is so easy to sack, and they haven't got a line good enough to protect him, why are they one of the best, if not the best, offense in the NFL?  They average over 28 points per game.  Have all of their 14 opponents just had lousy defenses?  One of their receivers has about 1500 yards so far, and another has about 1100.  Doesn't sound to me like they are very easily stopped.  This seems like a case of wishful thinking.

The Steelers have put up more offensive yardage than any other team, but they rank 7th in scoring. The Chiefs rank 15th in offensive scoring by contrast.

The Chiefs' defense ranks sixth in the league in points allowed, while Pittsburgh's defense ranks 24th.

I was strictly speaking of pressure on him. They are a great offense.

They will get their 28 points. Can we get at least 29 in Steel City with the crowd yelling? Not without a turnover advantage of at least plus 1 and a perfect day by Santos...and officiating that is totally fair. Can we hit that triumvirate? In Pittsburgh? I put my money on NO. But I would love to be wrong.

They will get their 28 points. Can we get at least 29 in Steel City with the crowd yelling? Not without a turnover advantage of at least plus 1 and a perfect day by Santos...and officiating that is totally fair. Can we hit that triumvirate? In Pittsburgh? I put my money on NO. But I would love to be wrong.

And we love it when you're wrong, Billy. ;)

And almost all catchable balls don't get dropped, and received balls don't get fumbled, and punted balls don't get muffed? It looks like we're asking for so much, and yet these are indeed things that the 32nd-ranked team of the NFL should almost always be able to do. But apparently sextumvirates are hard to come by.

And almost all catchable balls don't get dropped, and received balls don't get fumbled, and punted balls don't get muffed? It looks like we're asking for so much, and yet these are indeed things that the 32nd-ranked team of the NFL should almost always be able to do. But apparently sextumvirates are hard to come by.

Yep, not to mention how the Pittsburgh defense is number one in the league, followed by their first ranked offense, by the best special teams who have given them the most returned kicks for touchdowns, and the best field position, followed by the most opponents turnovers. They're playing in the number one stadium with the best loud noise in the league. And don't get me started on their superior first ranked pass rushers.

It just doesn't seem fair that the Steelers are going against the NFL's worst offense, worst defense, subpar special-teams, zero pass rushers, and special teams who turn over the ball more often than any other team in the league. Pittsburgh playing against our turnover machine team just isn't fair.

Archived