Keeping it together

Despite a rough offseason lowlighted by a series of player defections, Chiefs GM John Dorsey isn’t about to stray from his longterm plan to rebuild the program
bedard_large2.png?w=70
By
Greg A. Bedard

The Chiefs were one of the surprise stories of the 2013 season. After posting a 2–14 record in ’12, coach Andy Reid and general manager John Dorsey tweaked the roster enough to usher in a nine-game improvement and the franchise’s second playoff berth since 2006.

There were a lot of good things to build off. And with players entering the second year in Reid’s offense, and the attacking 3-4 defense of coordinator Bob Sutton, a program of sustained success—a hallmark of Reid’s Eagles teams—was set to take off.

Then free agency started, and the Chiefs were raided. LT Branden Albert, OGs Jon Asamoah and Geoff Schwartz, safeties Quintin Demps and Kendrick Lewis, defensive linemen Tyson Jackson and Jerrell Powe, linebacker Akeem Jordan and versatile offensive threat Dexter McCluster all exited.

The Chiefs, who were on the lower end of the salary cap list before free agency with just over $9 million available, didn’t really have much of a choice in letting those players go. The seven players they signed are mostly of the journeyman variety. But Dorsey isn’t deterred.

“It’s always tough,” Dorsey said Thursday. “You need depth to compete in this league. As you go along with this thing, you have to establish the culture. You have to get players that you want, that will come and compete on a daily basis, be proud to come here as a Kansas City Chief. Not saying those guys weren’t, [but] that’s why you have to be able to manage and balance that cap and look out and forecast. The guys we lost, I think we’ve done a nice job in terms of replacing them at a lower number but with the same production.”

“I think we’re getting faster. It’s not your dad’s NFL anymore. The field is stretched out so far… I don’t think you can have enough of those guys.”

The departures also meant that the Chiefs needed to do some work in the draft. That’s why it was a bit of a surprise when they selected Auburn end Dee Ford, who projects to outside linebacker in the Chiefs’ scheme, 23rd overall instead of finding help in the secondary or at receiver. Outside linebacker was one position where Kansas City seemed secure, with Tamba Hali (second-team All-Pro) and Justin Houston (21 sacks in past 27 games). But Hali turned 30 earlier this month, and his contract finishes with a $12 million cap number in ’15. And the Chiefs saw the effect of not having adequate depth. Both Hali and Houston missed time during the second half of the season and the Chiefs’ pass rush (and defense, overall) fell off a cliff.

“I think in today’s NFL you need not just two, [but] multiple pass rushers to continually apply pressure,” Dorsey said.

Dorsey also didn’t want to lose Ford, who was one of the few proven pass rushers in a weak draft at that position. Dorsey admitted he didn’t have enough ammunition to go up and get a Khalil Mack (fifth overall to Oakland). He also declined options to move back.

“When you weigh the compensation against the value of the player, I thought the player would be the better pick,” he said. “And we had heard some rumors that people were trying to move up to get Dee Ford too, so I didn’t want to move back too far.”

Last August after a training camp practice at Missouri Western State University, Dorsey acknowledged that a lack of speed on both sides of the ball were a problem he was aiming to rectify. Ford, third-round cornerback Phillip Gaines (4.38 speed in the 40-yard dash) and fourth-rounder De’Anthony Thomas, a McCluster replacement, all fit that bill.

“I think we’re getting faster,” Dorsey said. “We’ll continue looking for that. It’s not your dad’s NFL anymore. The field is stretched out so far, everybody runs and is so athletic in today’s game… I don’t think you can have enough of those guys in either Andy’s offense or Bob’s defense.”

It is curious, however, that they declined to address receiver in free agency or the draft. In addition to Dwayne Bowe—Dorsey said he is in “magnificent” shape—the Chiefs maintained the status quo with Donnie Avery, A.J. Jenkins, Weston Dressler and Junior Hemingway. Dorsey’s OK with that, provided that 2013 third-round tight end Travis Kelce is healthy after missing nearly his entire rookie season following microfracture surgery on his knee.

“The way that group started to come on towards the end, and getting used to the offense, you could see that they were beginning to understand their roles and what they were supposed to do,” Dorsey said. “It’s going to be a collective effort. And the emergence of a Travis Kelce being able to stretch the field as a tight end, hopefully that weapon adds another element to the passing game. We took some nicks at the tight end position last year.”

FLEEING K.C.

The key players who left the Chiefs during the offseason (including number of starts during the 2013 regular season):

LT Branden Albert (12)

OG Jon Asamoah (9)

OG Geoff Schwartz (7)

WR/RS Dexter McCluster (6)

S Kendrick Lewis (15)

S Quintin Demps (6)

LB Akeem Jordan (10)

DE Tyson Jackson (9)

NT Jerrell Powe (1)

One player to keep an eye on during Chiefs camp: sixth-round offensive lineman Laurent (Larry) Duvernay-Tardif, a 6-5, 315-pound Canadian collegiate prospect who caught Dorsey’s eye at the East-West Shrine Game. While Duvernay-Tardif wasn’t invited to the combine, his pro day testing numbers would have been near the top had he been. He’s one of the top Canadian prospects to ever enter the NFL.

“He’s an extremely gifted athlete,” Dorsey said. “You watch him on film and you see his athleticism, his toughness. He’s going to need a little work as far as a technical understanding of the pro game, but that won’t be for lack of effort. That guy is wearing the coaches out already… he wants to know everything and why.”

The Chiefs surprised many last season when they went from the AFC West basement to challenging the Broncos for the division title. That may have technically been the first year of the Reid-Dorsey regime, but after a forced reset of the roster this offseason, the real program building starts now. The Chiefs may be hard-pressed to live up to last year’s success, but Reid and Dorsey have a plan and they’re sticking to it.

Lol key players.. Those guys suck.

Except Scwartz.

See ya.. They didn't flee either, they were left to walk. Deuces.

Kendrick Lewis was the single worst saftey I've ever seen. He sucks ass.

Lol key players.. Those guys suck.

Except Scwartz.

See ya.. They didn't flee either, they were left to walk. Deuces.

Kendrick Lewis was the single worst saftey I've ever seen. He sucks ass.

LOL. 

Schwartz did seem to stand out.  There were several "behold the power of the Schwartz" moments. It would be nice to still have him.  I am little concerned about B. Albert, too, but not too many agree with me.  I hate that Demps is gone.

Still, they need the kind of players best for their coaching schemes.  Those schemes failed the last third of the year because they needed taller CB's and faster safeties.  We were massacred by the deep passes, when guys who are not 6'2" were left to cover man-to-man the deep fast receivers by themselves. They needed to use Hemingway at WR more.  They needed fast guys to return kicks who would not be tackled by a breeze  blowing out of the wrong direction. Most obvious of all, was they needed a real threat at TE.  Losing Kelce really hurt them more than anything.  Smith is going to be able to do a lot with these RB's, a healthy Kelce, a couple of WR's who can stretch the field.  Sutton's scheme will work better with taller CB's when they have to use single coverage against tall receivers. It may take some time to gel, and the schedule will be much tougher.  But when it comes to crunch time, we may be better able to make a showing.  Then, in the next offseason, we get all those compensatory picks in the 2015 draft for the lost free agents this year.  That is when Dorsey can really show what he's got.  At least my eternal optimism is undiminished.

Branden Albert did not suck.   That one hurts the most.

They feel they have the answer with Eric Fisher.  Stephenson and J'Marcus Webb can handle the right.  And they should get a a great compensatory pick next year for losing Albert.  But it could hurt if Fisher doesn't stay healthy.  I am hoping for a huge sophomore leap for Fisher as he moves back to his natural LT position.

Is this post from BIlyous or Bilyous2?   Of course they are hoping for a serious upgrade in the performance of Fisher.  The problem is everyone in the NFL either gets better or they get worse.   They don't stay the same.  I have been encouraged by Stephenson along the offensive line but he has had some injuries.   Offensive line is going to continue to be an area of great concern.    Do you really think we should go to camp with Hemmingway,  Avery or Jenkins penciled in as our #2 receiver?   We gots to find a way to get somebody to shake the Dwayne Bowe doubleteam and none of those guys strikes fear in the heart of too many defensive backs.  At least McCluster is gone so wilkie is a happy man.

I was hoping that Bilyous2 would be serious upgrade over Bilyous.  But it didn't work out that way.  Boss traded Bilyous2 for Bilyous in a straight up deal.

I like Hemingway.  I think he is a legitimate NFL starting wideout.  But he could also play in the slot.  I may be foolish, but I think we are ok at receiver.

Guest wilkie

Yeah that Bilyous2 was a real asshole.   Glad he traded for you.   Now if you were just a little taller........

I agree Bil. I feel like we are OK at WR. The offense really got rolling at the end of last year and this will be second season in Reid's system. Hemmingway, Dressler, Thomas, or Jenkins will work out in the slot. I believe one of those guys will step up and match McCluster's production.

Free safety is what worries me. Abdullah couldn't beat Lewis out last year and Commings has never played FS. He wasn't even that great of a CB at UGA.

I agree Bil. I feel like we are OK at WR. The offense really got rolling at the end of last year and this will be second season in Reid's system. Hemmingway, Dressler, Thomas, or Jenkins will work out in the slot. I believe one of those guys will step up and match McCluster's production.

Free safety is what worries me. Abdullah couldn't beat Lewis out last year and Commings has never played FS. He wasn't even that great of a CB at UGA.

Yeah.  We have to be able to stop the good TE's.  Not sure if we will be able to in 2014.

I'll probably get drilled for this, but I just don't value offensive lineman like so many do.  Last year the slowest QB in the NFL average 3.2 seconds from snap to throw.  As long as the lineman isn't literally letting the defense by untouched, the QB is getting rid of the ball.  The Chargers had some of the crappiest o-lines imaginable from a perspective of quality and injuries, yet their QBs were among the best in the NFL.  You start with a QB that can identify and get rid of the ball and some WRs that can get open in a hurry and you are good to go. 

Sure....the line also has to deal with the run.  Right now the evolution of the NFL has that at about 40% of the time.  This number will get smaller and smaller as the rules keep making it easier for receivers and quarterbacks.  If we had a RB that ran between the tackles, it may be an issue, but we have fast RBs that love to take it around the edges, making the overall strength of the oline to be much less needed than a between the tackle RB. 

Our O-Line will be fine with that we have.  We will miss Albert and Schwartz, but not nearly as much as everyone assumes we will.  I'm more concerned about the defensive side of the ball...

I can't believe I've missed you Bil...but I have...lol.

I can't believe you've missed me, either  LOL.

Great to be back with you and all the guys.  Apparently there are lots of us left to sign up.  (They need some threatening emails).

the word ain't out yet.

if OT hadn't pm'd me via facebook I wouldn't have know..thanks MIKE my brother!!...

it'll take time...hopefully we all get energized again...I still want to get to KC and drinka cold one with my friends I've talked to since the yr 2000..at the least...

.course wilkies buying!

I can't believe you've missed me, either  LOL.

Great to be back with you and all the guys.  Apparently there are lots of us left to sign up.  (They need some threatening emails).

Its just not the same without Bubbles.  :'(

Archived