Chief Concerns

Chief Concerns   

29 members have voted

1. 1. What has been your biggest concern for this Chiefs Franchise over the past three weeks?

• Ownership / Management
    • Coaching (Reid, Sutton, Tobe, etc)
    • Berry's absence
    • Receiving Core
    • Run Defense
    • Offensive Line
    • Losing ground in the WC race
    • The QB (A. Smith)
    • Losing to the Raiders
    • Other

Since the team hasnt won a superbowl in 44 years and 21 years since its last play off win. Im going to have to go with  "The Hunt Family"

Its just hard being a fan when your franchise strives for average, but this is the team i picked, so i better get over it lol

When do pitchers and Catchers report? lol

Blaming the guy who pays the bills. Wow, that doesn't seem smart. 

The problem is the offensive line. It may go further though. The inability to foresee a problem with the OL is probably bigger. However, you have to consider the cap situation the Chiefs were facing. They could not keep Albert, who was overpriced in FA. They could not afford to bring in a decent FA, and they lost FA because they could not pay them what the market was willing to pay. 

The OL affects what plays can be called. It hampers the running game, the passing game, and puts pressure on the defense. 

You mentioned the problems of the last 3 weeks. It's been a problem for 4 decades. We need a franchise QB then build around him. With today's rules, you get penalized for looking at the QB wrong and DBs can't sneeze near a WR. And I'll be the first to admit, it's very difficult to get get a great QB. But I'm willing to give up a bunch to get one at the risk of sucking for a few years while putting the pieces around him. For decades, we have been plugging in QBs from other teams, hoping for them to pan out then wishing their contract would just run out. Sell the farm. Move up the draft chart. It might take a few years and a little luck but the ORGANIZATION needs to make the committment not whoever the Coach/GM wants to do right now to save their jobs.

Thanks Eraser but I took the Chiefs colored glasses off yesterday and knew it was a fumble. Didn't sit well with my son. Time for Kelce to grow up, hang on to the ball and quit worrying about his "look at me" celebrations  after EVERY catch.

I agree. Take care of the ball. I remember Schottenheimer's Seattle rule. The players need to know a little history. 

However...

https://twitter.com/ArrowheadPride/status/541749853580435457/photo/1

https://twitter.com/KCChiefs/status/541991420794372096/photo/1

Maybe you didn't see these. These clearly show Kelce had control, and rolled over, before the defender was able to slap the ball loose. This was a bad call. 

I agree. Take care of the ball. I remember Schottenheimer's Seattle rule. The players need to know a little history. 

However...

https://twitter.com/ArrowheadPride/status/541749853580435457/photo/1

https://twitter.com/KCChiefs/status/541991420794372096/photo/1

Maybe you didn't see these. These clearly show Kelce had control, and rolled over, before the defender was able to slap the ball loose. This was a bad call. 

I photograph a lot of sports. Still photos are useless when determining possesion. A ball could go right through a receiver's hands but if you take a picture at the precise moment it is passing through his hands it looks like a catch. These photos are being taken at 10-12 fps. Very deceiving.

I am a bit pissed that there is so much criticism of Smith beyond the last drive. I was really upset with the last drive and that problem has shown in other games. I'm pissed about that. I put that on him and Reid. There's no excuse for not risking something at that point. We didn't risk anything in the Oakland last Drive, either. No, it is not about him worried about his rating. I just think that he needs to fix himself on where to take risks. Not where to not take risks. I wasn't okay with any of the drive, but fourth-down was much worse than first and second and third down.

However, I never see anyone talk about the scramble he got to Avant. The Fasano touchdown should've been a touchdown and at the very worst it was good play by the quarterback. I think that at worst, it should've been less than pass interference. Was it called holding?

I know it doesn't count, if it doesn't count, but I hear criticism suggesting that he can't do it. That touchdown and the Kelce fumble, are two drives that would've won the game. Neither of those were Alex's fault. I put fault on Alex for the last drive and for the interception, of course. A punt or a field goal there would likely make it so hard for them to score their go ahead touchdown. I absolutely put blame on him and the offensive line for that one, but until he becomes a turnover machine I'm not gonna focus on that. I'm going to focus on him not taking risks on the last drive.

Generally speaking, us taking what that defense gives us would've won if we didn't have those turnovers. That's why I do believe that our style of play leaves too little room for error. We need to factor that into the equation. I understand that's hard to do because if we stray from our strategy, it might cause more errors. However, we are going to have some error and having too little of margin hurts us.

I photograph a lot of sports. Still photos are useless when determining possesion. A ball could go right through a receiver's hands but if you take a picture at the precise moment it is passing through his hands it looks like a catch. These photos are being taken at 10-12 fps. Very deceiving.

The photos were taken between the initial bobble, and when the ball was slapped out of his grasp. The refs had no better look than we did. It has to be convincing information in order to overturn the ruling on the field. It was clearly not. We have to assume, if the ball was regathered while he was rolling over, and it was still in his grasp at the end, then it was in his grasp. The roll was consistent with a football move, and therefore, the BS about needing to retain controll is BS. How long do you need to maintain controll? Do you have to have controll untill you head back to the huddle? This answer was ridiculous.

If I was a defensive coordinator it would open a whole new avenue. I would demand my players scratch and claw after every carry, and every reception.

It was hog wash. The fact that you don't see it does not give you any more credit than anyone else.. perhaps less.

I am a bit pissed that there is so much criticism of Smith beyond the last drive. I was really upset with the last drive and that problem has shown in other games. I'm pissed about that. I put that on him and Reid. There's no excuse for not risking something at that point. We didn't risk anything in the Oakland last Drive, either. No, it is not about him worried about his rating. I just think that he needs to fix himself on where to take risks. Not where to not take risks. I wasn't okay with any of the drive, but fourth-down was much worse than first and second and third down.

However, I never see anyone talk about the scramble he got to Avant. The Fasano touchdown should've been a touchdown and at the very worst it was good play by the quarterback. I think that at worst, it should've been less than pass interference. Was it called holding?

I know it doesn't count, if it doesn't count, but I hear criticism suggesting that he can't do it. That touchdown and the Kelce fumble, are two drives that would've won the game. Neither of those were Alex's fault. I put fault on Alex for the last drive and for the interception, of course. A punt or a field goal there would likely make it so hard for them to score their go ahead touchdown. I absolutely put blame on him and the offensive line for that one, but until he becomes a turnover machine I'm not gonna focus on that. I'm going to focus on him not taking risks on the last drive.

Generally speaking, us taking what that defense gives us would've won if we didn't have those turnovers. That's why I do believe that our style of play leaves too little room for error. We need to factor that into the equation. I understand that's hard to do because if we stray from our strategy, it might cause more errors. However, we are going to have some error and having too little of margin hurts us.

The argument that the Chiefs should have run Charles a ton more times is equally baffeling. He was used, and they stopped him with very little gain. The problem was not Charles, nor was it Reid, nor was it Alex Smith. The problem was we have no one on the offensive line with the stones to stop a blitz. Until we do, other teams are going to line up, and dare us to beat it. The only way to beat it is to either block someone, and set Charles free, or to block someone, and torch them with a pass. Charles hurt his ankle and knee. He was heroic in his return. The only thing I would have done different was I would have not used Charles to block. If you are not going to run Charles, then why use him to block. Everyone knew we were going to pass. Throw in another tightend or someone else to block.

Given a few short seconds, Alex would have been able to beat AZ with a pass. The problem is he didn't have the time. When you run Alex Smith to the sideline in order to protect him, you also cause him to have very little space to throw. It cuts the field. The Chiefs could not protect Alex up the middle. There was too much penetration, so they had to move him. That makes things very difficult on the QB. He did a fine job considering the circumstances.

Watch again. He slips, dips, and slides in the pocket. Their OLINE sucks

Watch again, he is good at moving within the pocket, but at least there was a place for him to go in the pocket. His blockers stay in contact, and keep blocking. There is no place to go, but run for Alex. Sure, he could do better by moving within the pocket, had there been a pocket. 

Guest Chieftain

Yay! Got a second vote for QB. Think Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees, Luck. We need one of these. At all costs. Trade up. Doesn't have to be this year. Make it a goal. When was the last QB we drafted that lasted? Has every other team done it since us?

I think Blackledge would be the last QB the Chiefs drafted that "lasted." The Chiefs have never drafted a "Franchise QB" in their 50 year experience. They can't get a Franchise QB unless they try. I expect the Chiefs to draft a QB in the 2nd round in 2016 or somewhere close to that to groom after Smith.

I would love to have a young franchise QB, but I would not start him behind this line. It would ruin him.

And I would not trade Smith for any of the first round QBs in the past couple of years. I am happy with Murray sitting and learning. Maybe another young QB on the second day this year.

We just line to get a line and a talented WR. We will be fine with that.

I'm one of the majority that thinks the offensive line is the biggest issue. Yes, I'm on record for pointing out Alex Smith's obvious faults, but he does play well enough to win playoff games behind a good offensive line. The receiving corps isn't exactly putting fear into anyone, but when they do, Alex is so scared he's going to get pummeled - even if he isn't - that he won't throw the damn ball to open receivers. I think you have to put some protection in front of Alex so that he gets over his fear first, then you can truly evaluate him and the receivers in this offense. I advocate adding a receiver early to help fix those deficiencies, but I'm starting to think a free agent veteran guard and a couple of draft picks at right tackle and offensive guard are definite needs. I'm hoping a guy like Carpenter of Seattle or Iupati of San Francisco come available and KC pounces.

We've all seen too many highly rated QBs come into the league and fail because the line in front of them couldn't protect.  For the Chiefs to give away the draft to get the "next great QB" at this point would be very foolish.  Maybe Fisher develops into an acceptable tackle and Hudson can play center.  Aside from those two, the whole O-line has to be rebuilt and it won't happen with cast offs from other teams.  Right now, it seems that three matadors are playing on the KC line.

Fulton isn't terrible and could develop. LG and RT should absolutely be addressed.

Agreed. Fulton's made rookie mistakes. He might make fewer mistakes if the Right Tackle was playing better. In any case, it doesn't make sense to write off the experience he has gained since coming into the league. It's unlikely that a rookie could replace him and outperform what he might do in 2015.

Mike McGlynn and Ryan Harris were never supposed to be starters, and were forced into the starting role due to injury and suspension. They aren't as disappointing as they are simply performing according to expectations. They will likely finish their careers as backups.

Archived