Will fans turn on Alice?

Yep Alice. As Trent became TrINT Alex has become Alice in my book. But that is not the point.

I'm wondering if he has another 2-3 very crappy performances and refuses for whatever reason to start becoming a bit more aggressive with his pass's if the fans will turn on him as they did Cassel?

If Alice is not cut within 2 days of this season he's 23 mil guaranteed he's very cut able right now.

I wonder say if the Chiefs lose the next 2 out of 3 if Andy & John  will feel enough heat to maybe try another route or be like  Piloi and ride his QB for right or wrong and if it gets them fired so be it.?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew deep down this was going to be the same story again, but since he's the QB for our favorite team, you have to at least give him a chance.

He's just not the kind of quarterback that is needed in todays NFL.   The only only way you win with this kind of quarterback is if you have one of them all time best defenses like the  85 Bears, 2000 Ravens or the 2003 Bucs.  Doing it like that though is the hardest way possible.  I guess you can say the 2013 Seahawks as well, but Wilson is better then the QB's from them 3 teams.

The Chiefs keep trying to win this way the hardest way possible.  I understand its not easy to get an elite qb, but  you have to try to get that guy over and over no matter how many times you fail, because when it hits, its going to be a great thing for 10-15 years of legit Superbowl contending.

To refer to a tough, resilient, loyal QB like Alex Smith as Alice is disrespectful, inaccurate, and just plain stupid. The denigration just doesn't fit. A QB who whines all the time like Rivers deserves to be called Phyllis, because of his attitude, even though he has QB skills. You may not like Alex's approach, throwing only short, but you can't question that he is tough and doesn't whine.

Crow saying he "sh*ts his pants" is also inaccurate. He has stood tall in spite of his offensive line putting his life in danger on every passing play.

Alex will more than likely be the guy. They gave quite a bit to get him here to just let him go after year 2.  Add that on top of all the moves they've made to this point and it wouldn't look too good.

At this juncture it's hard to see this team making a turn around for next season.   Heading out of the season, It looks and feels like a team on the decline again.   I was hoping 2015 would be the year they would be on track but it's shaping up to be yet another derail.   Too many holes to fil WR, O-line, possibly Middle Linebacker (I'm not all that positive DJ will be back to form if at all).  Good lord I was thinking the other day it is shaping up to be another one of those 3-5 year projects and once again new HC and GM will be on it's way.  

This damn team is so frustrating.   Really, I can't even enjoy watching anymore football once the chiefs are out.  That is actually a pretty damn comical statement,  Who could actually enjoy watching football if it revovled around the chiefs??   :lol:  Year in, year out packers, pats, broncos, ravens, colts, steelers, etc etc... watching football at seasons end always turns into "why in the fuck can't the chiefs do what these teams are doing??"  

Guest okiechief

Fans will for sure. Dorsey n Reid? I don't think they will this year at least. I think they will give him another year with a better line and supporting cast. If he goes out and he still isn't the QB they want him to be then I think they will move on from him.

Fans will for sure. Dorsey n Reid? I don't think they will this year at least. I think they will give him another year with a better line and supporting cast. If he goes out and he still isn't the QB they want him to be then I think they will move on from him.

The best news of all, is Reid and Dorsey will certainly try to add pieces after watching this fall apart. Can't put garbage on the field no matter how good the scheme or coach is. Reid better evaluate his play calling too.

TrINT was given that name because of his interceptions, actually fit for a while because of what he did. Alice would only be called that because of a stupid name that's not clever. Alex is tough and takes hits like a man. Alice would be more fitting for Cassel who would go in the fetal position. He is already called Captain Checkdown. Even though I hate that name, that's more fitting than Alice.

However, that's all beside the point, I feel it is disrespectful to call him that. Even if he had been throwing interceptions and fumbled thing and losing games on his own, it is as disrespectful as calling Kaepernick "Kaeptard" or "Krapernick" when Sackorpick is more fitting.

TrINT was given that name because of his interceptions, actually fit for a while because of what he did. Alice would only be called that because of a stupid name that's not clever. Alex is tough and takes hits like a man. Alice would be more fitting for Cassel who would go in the fetal position. He is already called Captain Checkdown. Even though I hate that name, that's more fitting than Alice.

However, that's all beside the point, I feel it is disrespectful to call him that. Even if he had been throwing interceptions and fumbled thing and losing games on his own, it is as disrespectful as calling Kaepernick "Kaeptard" or "Krapernick" when Sackorpick is more fitting.

Yes, I think it is stupid, and I am rather tired of it. 

Although Trent Green was called TriNT, I knew it was not his fault at the time. The team needed to support him, and give him the necessary tools to work with. They did, and he was much better. Trent Green even went to the Pro-Bowl. 

To call Alex Smith a girl's name is ridiculous. However, people will act tough on the INTERNET. They aren't getting sacked 11 times in two consecutive games. They may have never played the game, or been out of their mother's basement apartment. 

What bothers me is people who I have respect for seem to be reciting this stupid name without considering the facts behind the insult. 

Alex will more than likely be the guy. They gave quite a bit to get him here to just let him go after year 2.  Add that on top of all the moves they've made to this point and it wouldn't look too good.

At this juncture it's hard to see this team making a turn around for next season.   Heading out of the season, It looks and feels like a team on the decline again.   I was hoping 2015 would be the year they would be on track but it's shaping up to be yet another derail.   Too many holes to fil WR, O-line, possibly Middle Linebacker (I'm not all that positive DJ will be back to form if at all).  Good lord I was thinking the other day it is shaping up to be another one of those 3-5 year projects and once again new HC and GM will be on it's way.  

This damn team is so frustrating.   Really, I can't even enjoy watching anymore football once the chiefs are out.  That is actually a pretty damn comical statement,  Who could actually enjoy watching football if it revovled around the chiefs??   :lol:  Year in, year out packers, pats, broncos, ravens, colts, steelers, etc etc... watching football at seasons end always turns into "why in the fuck can't the chiefs do what these teams are doing??"  

pretty much a big YEP to your entire post. Thing is if  Andy& John pick up his option they are saddled to him for the next few years and there is not enough big salary cuts to me made to surround him with weapons and keep a decent defense on the field unless  much like the Seahawks you find a few $500K players playing like $5 mil playersl.

John Dorsey much like Pioli had one thing in their previous jobs before the Chiefs that they do not have now.. A HOF QB. Actually John had 2HOFrs. Thats a game changer and any model that they might of used with the Pack or Pats  is no good until  the QB problem is solved. That problem in my mind is not solved yet.

thanks for the history lesson on TrINT oh boy. OBTW it's Check Down Charlie not Capt Checkdown. Its more than apparent you dont listen to the local radio talk shows you would find that my relative mild slam on Mr Smith..maybe he should go to Washington is nothing compared to  what is said about him and his Girlish arm strength. Actually if  Mr Smith turned out to be  Trent I'd be more than happy.

not sure which is wiser  Taking a hit  or going into a fetal postion. Lenny Dawson went into several fetal positions to live and play a long a HOF career. Trent who also took hits came out of it with an unfortunate end lackluster ending to his career.

I was hopefully optimistic when the Chiefs got Mr Smith but regardless I thought he price was too steep. To date the reviews seem pretty spot on. Scared or unable to make  a dangerous throw. LOOK AT THE FREAKN STATS. Longest play of the year from his arm was a broken play and a heave hoe for 41 yrds.  Thats fucking embarrassing.The washington redskins have more than 15 and we bad mouth RGIII!

Yes, I think it is stupid, and I am rather tired of it. 

Although Trent Green was called TriNT, I knew it was not his fault at the time. The team needed to support him, and give him the necessary tools to work with. They did, and he was much better. Trent Green even went to the Pro-Bowl. 

To call Alex Smith a girl's name is ridiculous. However, people will act tough on the INTERNET. They aren't getting sacked 11 times in two consecutive games. They may have never played the game, or been out of their mother's basement apartment. 

What bothers me is people who I have respect for seem to be reciting this stupid name without considering the facts behind the insult. 

Getting Sack 11 times in 2 games is no badge of honor E. 

I figured the Smith apologist woud fall in line.

The Chiefs need to drop this guy before he and his $26 Mil  drag the rest of the team down Alice, Capt Check Down or CheckDown Charlie it matters not to me he and his salary  after this year is an anchor. Respect the guy for taking 11 sacks which is even more pathetic when he cant throw a purposeful  complete pass over 30 yrds after 4 trys

Getting Sack 11 times in 2 games is no badge of honor E.

I figured the Smith apologist woud fall in line.

The Chiefs need to drop this guy before he and his $26 Mil drag the rest of the team down Alice, Capt Check Down or CheckDown Charlie it matters not to me he and his salary after this year is an anchor. Respect the guy for taking 11 sacks which is even more pathetic when he cant throw a purposeful complete pass over 30 yrds after 4 trys

About throwing it beyond 30 yards on purposefull drives, that's dumb because he's done it before last season and in his career. Many were dropped last year. And then to say a heave-ho 41 yarder when people are complaining about his improvisation is over the top. If not for the offensive pass interference, that and the Fasano touchdown would've been the plays of the game. Every quarterback, including Smith, can throw it farther than that.

We disagree, just move on. Having a different opinion doesn't mean one is an apologist. Neither of us are going to change our opinion due to the other. And saying it stronger or in a certain style or giving it a name or him a name for that matter doesn't make it more correct.

The only two things that I was upset with Smith had been the interception and the last drive. I don't understand why we didn't throw the ball on the last drive or at least on fourth down.

Otherwise, he played well given to protection. I know the two things that I isolated were big but when people come out and blast the whole game or the whole season or the whole quarterback after this game, I'm putting it in perspective.

He had almost 300 yards, was completing a good percentage, and had 7.5 yards per attempt. He had that scramble play to Avant that we ask for in improvisation. We should've had that touchdown to Fasano. Correct call or not, that wasn't the quarterback. I do put blame on the next play, obviously. We also should have scored on the Kelce fumble possession, but that wasn't Smith's fault.

I think if we had won and people started swinging on his jock, that would've been too much. Figuratively and physically, just kidding. My thing is to put this in perspective. There are pros and cons to our strategy. It was working but it has too little margin of error. We overcame one interception but we could not overcome the fumble.

Again, I put blame on Reid and Smith for the last possession. There's no excuse for not risking an interception on the last play of the game. None. That's not smart football, that's just losing. I put blame on Smith and offensive line for the interception, mainly Smith. There's plenty of blame, but this doesn't tell me that we should have not extended him. We have three games for him to show what he's got. If he can get us into the playoffs and win a game, I think our answer will be yes. If he gives us into the playoffs and we lose in the first round, I will wait for Reid and Dorsey's answer. If we fail to make the playoffs, I will watch to see what Dorsey and read does to improve this team. That might mean quarterback where that might mean offensive line and receivers.

Andy Reid, has always wanted to coach Alex Smith. There's too much invested in him. Get him the right pieces around him, and watch him excel in this offense. He's not the kind of QB to come back from two scores down, but he's also not the QB that will get blown out. This Chiefs team resembles a tough, hard-fought team. We just need the breaks to fall our way now. Annnnnnd a better O-line. 

Andy Reid, has always wanted to coach Alex Smith. There's too much invested in him. Get him the right pieces around him, and watch him excel in this offense. He's not the kind of QB to come back from two scores down, but he's also not the QB that will get blown out. This Chiefs team resembles a tough, hard-fought team. We just need the breaks to fall our way now. Annnnnnd a better O-line.

And WR, and ILB, and an OLINE, and good play calling.

He came back from 23 points down against Philadelphia when he was with the Niners. He came back from 14 down and 10 down this year, but of course, the defense let them score and Smith was unable to respond. That's more of a last minute drive issue rather than a coming back from being down by a lot issue. No team is built for coming back from big deficits. They are either built to score a lot of or not, score fast or not. We won't do that until we have an offense around him. No, I'm not asking for perfect, he doesn't need that.

Guest Chieftain

He came back from 23 points down against Philadelphia when he was with the Niners. He came back from 14 down and 10 down this year, but of course, the defense let them score and Smith was unable to respond. That's more of a last minute drive issue rather than a coming back from being down by a lot issue. No team is built for coming back from big deficits. They are either built to score a lot of or not, score fast or not. We won't do that until we have an offense around him. No, I'm not asking for perfect, he doesn't need that.

Did you watch the last drive vs the Cardinals? I don't care if you're offensive line isn't protecting Alex Smith. It is Smith's fault for throwing 3 yard passes when the team needs to drive at least 50 yards downfield with 1 minute left. He was better off throwing the ball away. Smith needs to work on his 2 minute drill. Has he came back in the last drive of a deficit to lead his team to victory? No, didn't think so. Alex's play, when it really matters, in 2014, leaves a lot to be desired.

Herm Edwards needs to be fired.  Yes that's the solution.  That will work I'm sure.   And Matt Cassel needs to be traded.   And what about Rich Gannon....trade him away and keep Elvis.  And most of all Carl Peterson sucks and needs to go.    All these solutions are,  I am quite certain,  the right answer to our problems.  Just like all of us expert fans who were screaming for Troy Vincent and Samari Rolle.

Did you watch the last drive vs the Cardinals? I don't care if you're offensive line isn't protecting Alex Smith. It is Smith's fault for throwing 3 yard passes when the team needs to drive at least 50 yards downfield with 1 minute left. He was better off throwing the ball away. Smith needs to work on his 2 minute drill. Has he came back in the last drive of a deficit to lead his team to victory? No, didn't think so. Alex's play, when it really matters, in 2014, leaves a lot to be desired.

I already said that. I'm not blaming you because not everyone reads everyone's posts. That has been my gripe about him and the game. The rest that people are complaining about is what I am talking about. That drive doesn't win games. The overall strategy would win games, but it leaves too small margin of error. We could overcome the interception but not the fumble. We could overcome the interception and maybe the fumble, but not the offensive pass interference. If we were more aggressive and successful, we could get away with those.

But we're not more aggressive. By the way, aggressive doesn't mean stupid. We can play smart football but draw plays that has deeper check downs and deeper routes. Then while the offensive line gets better, our offense will get better.

To those who say that Smith can't, they're wrong. We've all seen deeper passes. We've all seen tighter windows. He has come back from bigger deficits in his career. And he has had two minute come back victories before, even in the playoffs.

I think the San Diego first game last year for him was clutch. The Buffalo game this year had some good throws and the game winner. Some losses Smith wasn't to blame. This one, I put it on him. But it doesn't mean the whole thing is spoiled. We need to improve and be more aggressive, at least on the last possession.

I'm really starting to be done with capt check down myself.  Watching the game, a rookie qb would have seen some of the open receivers.  I see things on the TV that I tell my buddies, watch this, this guy will be wide open.  If I can see it, how come he can't?  He's trained to read defenses, I'm just an arm chair QB.  I get that he is shell shocked because he is used to being pressured all the time, but he really need to make defenses start respecting the down field game.  We are now seeing defenses that realize they only have to cover 10 yards deep and stacking the box heavily!

I'm really starting to be done with capt check down myself. Watching the game, a rookie qb would have seen some of the open receivers. I see things on the TV that I tell my buddies, watch this, this guy will be wide open. If I can see it, how come he can't? He's trained to read defenses, I'm just an arm chair QB. I get that he is shell shocked because he is used to being pressured all the time, but he really need to make defenses start respecting the down field game. We are now seeing defenses that realize they only have to cover 10 yards deep and stacking the box heavily!

I've seen some images, but the images prove very little.

Film...

We rarely see any film from the Endzone view point.

That's the closest you can get to the QBs perspective.

If you can get us those view then we can breakdown a play.

Things we need to see to breakdown a play:

1) Where the QB is looking presnap.

2) Where the QB is looking as he drops back.

3) Where he moves in the Pocket if he has to.

4) Where he finally decides to throw the ball, if there is a throw.

Things we will never know that could determine the outcome of the play:

1) The Play called.

2) The Hot Read/Reads.

3) The Protection called. (To a lesser extent this impacts the play if there's a Rush coming and the QB has to move in or break out of the Pocket)

There is no doubt that Smith checks down a lot and I've always assumed it was going to be too much until he trusts the oline. He could also take too long to trust the oline or distrust it when he doesn't have too. Smith has been said to be good at pre-snap reads and recognizing the defense, but I don't know how much that changes when he doesn't  trust the oline. Again, he could be at fault to a degree for how much or little he trusts them.

I'm not going to take anyone's word for it regarding what they see on TV. As an arm chair QB, you or I cannot possibly see what he sees or know what he knows. He's not a great QB and he plays poorly from time to time, but these open guys are a little too subjective for me to take your word on it. We don't know the reads or the order of the reads or how he is coached. We don't know what he'd do with a good oline. I assume he misses them because all do and as said checks down possibly too early for the oline development. He needs to improve and to trust them more.

Archived